The like, newest new election thread

What I am having difficulty understanding from the GOP side is what would change

the occupant of the white house would change, to a less dumb one.

what people like about them

they generally share, or at least say they share, their capitalist ideals.

It seems absolutely asinine to me that people on the right wouldn't demand to understand how thing would change.

they are demanding to know what would change, they just don't like the answers that obama gives for that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just remembered that I have a couple of students that are originally from Bosnia. I am going to ask if they are Bosniaks or just Bosnians. I have a feeling that they are Bosniaks. Thanks again, kwall.

But again, I liked Palin.. And I'm not as scared as I used to be about her potentially being one heart beat away from the president.

I'm still frightened of the prospect of her at the helm. Her comments about running the senate and the plain simple fact that she just seemd to repeat the same few answers over and over should give some indication of the depth of the water we might be diving into as a country.

I learned something new and thanks. I had no clue.

I'm still frightened of the prospect of her at the helm. Her comments about running the senate and the plain simple fact that she just seemd to repeat the same few answers over and over should give some indication of the depth of the water we might be diving into as a country.

Well, I think the goal for both was to not hurt their candidates and I think they both accomplished that. In the end, we are voting for President, not Vice President.

don't thank me. someone else posted it earlier.

But since I missed the earlier post, I owe my new knowledege to you for reposting it. :thumbup

And it is hilarious that someone would expect productivity from a message board back and forth.

Who Won The VP Debate? Biden Scores Big

RSS stumble digg reddit del.ico.us news trust mixx.com

October 2, 2008 10:55 PM

During the course of the debate, CNN was running a viewer response line for uncommitted voters in Ohio. Overall the numbers reflected a very strong performance for Biden. And while Palin scored well, at times, among this crowd, the dial lines indicated that she remains a controversial figure among females in that state.

Biden repeatedly won high accolades on a wide range of topics. His remarks about the personal trials of having a wife and daughter die in a car accident sent responses from both male and females through the roof. His dig at Dick Cheney -- "the most dangerous Vice President in history" -- and his pledge to end the war in Iraq were similarly popular. When he defended Obama from Palin's attacks, he was held in equally high regard.

Much of the time, dial responses sunk when Palin began speaking. Respondents were generally unenthusiastic when she defended McCain. Her defense of the surge generated what was, at best, a flat response. She did have some high moments -- her final statement, her defense of Israel and her call to explore off shore drilling were all popular positions.

Following the debate, only one member of the focus group said they had decided to support the McCain-Palin ticket based on the debate; a half-dozen or more said they would now back Obama and Biden.

On the other hand, Frank Luntz just quizzed his focus group on FOX (which was, strangely enough, sponsored by Budweiser, owned by Anheuser-Busch, of which Cindy McCain's Hensley company is the third largest distributor). Nearly all of them thought Palin did an excellent job and, perhaps, won the debate. When she talked about responsibility -- both on Wall Street and in Washington - the dial numbers went extremely high. Many respondents, meanwhile, said she came off as a "regular American." However, only three respondents in the group said they had moved towards voting for the McCain-Palin ticket.

Poll finds growing skepticism of Palin experience

Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:34am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A growing proportion of U.S. voters question Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's readiness for the job, according to a national opinion poll reported by The Washington Post on Thursday.

The poll results came as the Alaska governor prepared to face Democrat Joe Biden in the only vice presidential debate before the November 4 election.

About half of all voters surveyed said they were uncomfortable with the idea of Republican presidential nominee John McCain taking office at age 72, and 85 percent of those voters said Palin does not have the experience needed to be president, according to The Washington Post/ABC News poll.

Sixty percent said Palin did not have the experience to be president, up from 45 percent in a similar survey a month ago, the Post said.

About four in 10 conservatives and white evangelical Protestants, three in 10 Republicans and a quarter of Republican women said Palin does not have the necessary experience, the Post said.

A month ago, before she appeared in a series of television interviews, voters rated Palin as highly as they did McCain or Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, the newspaper said.

The biggest shift on Palin has come among independents, a crucial voting group.

In early September, independents were divided on Palin's experience; now they take the negative view by about 2 to 1, the Post reported.

A third of independent voters now indicate they are less likely to support McCain because of Palin, compared with 20 percent who said so in an ABC poll a month ago, the Post said.

Overall, 51 percent of voters view Palin favorably; for Biden, that ratio is 57 percent.

On the understanding of complex issues, Palin runs far behind Biden, a six-term senator and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. About three-quarters of those surveyed said he understands complex issues, compared with 46 percent who said so of her, the poll found.

The telephone poll of 1,070 registered voters was conducted Thursday through Saturday and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

(Reporting by JoAnne Allen; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

I'll take a page out of you book (although I'm quite sober) and reply 8 hours after the fact.

I didn't see you actually respond to anything I said so let me clarify a bit. I don't really feel the need to post long diatribes because for the most part they fall upon deaf ears. As of late these threads seem to be for piling up on whatever Republican, conservative or neocon is the villain of the week, for example Governor Palin. While many of these concerns are well founded, a greater percentage of these posts serve as nothing more than a group of like minded individuals hi-fiving each other and patting each others respective backs for sticking it to the man. I don't see this being very productive.

Complaints that this thread is "not very productive" are pretty laughable. What sort of productivity is anyone expecting out of it? It's a thread on a Wilco message board, not a UN meeting.

:rolleyes

Just my thoughts, but Palin made it damn clear how close to Bush she and M are. Way to talk without saying much, but you're so totally playing in Bush's backyard with your McCain pom poms Palin.

Deciding a "winner" here is, I guess, kind of pointless since both campaigns were trying to achieve different things--and did so pretty effectively. Biden impressed me last night. For those out there who still worry about Obama's lack of experience, Biden brings the experience to back up Obama's vision. This was clear last night--he was comfortable and eloquent on nearly every subject. I'm glad he's on this ticket.

Palin, whatever you think of her, didn't need to be that. That's not her role. She provides a folksy and accessible face to a McCain campaign that otherwise doesn't have those qualities. She's cast as the "outsider" in this race--but even moreso than that (and here's where I got a chuckle out of your "pom poms" comment) is that she is apparently quite content to mostly stand aside and be a cheerleader for McCain. How often (especially towards the end) did her answers trail off into gushing about how super McCain is? I still have no idea what this woman knows or what she stands for or what she brings to the table in terms of policy (aside from agreeing with John a lot), but she is an effective campaign surrogate. The overall vibe I got from her was a reassurance that with McCain you can trust that the "grownups are in charge" and we should all just not worry and fret over everything. Unfortunately, that's not all that different than what we've been hearing for 8 years and its pretty clear that people don't trust their government right now.

I don't know. On its own merits, I think Biden won the debate on substance. But this debate wasn't really about them, it was just part of a larger narrative...so I have no idea what its effect will be.

Complaints that this thread is "not very productive" are pretty laughable. What sort of productivity is anyone expecting out of it? It's a thread on a Wilco message board, not a UN meeting.

Wait. This is a Wilco message board?? :unsure

the occupant of the white house would change, to a less dumb one.

This seems to be more and more in doubt the more McCain and Palin Speak.

Well, I think the goal for both was to not hurt their candidates and I think they both accomplished that. In the end, we are voting for President, not Vice President.

But I still say the Republicans are runnign her as the main item on the ticket. Sure McCain gets top billing but it just seems like he is the Puppet Show to Palins Spinal Tap

Sure, it was funny, but do you really believe that bobbob didn't have that scripted ahead of time?

Hell no, man. I had just taken a shot of nyquil, and was flinging zingers across the room all night. That's the only one that made it's way online, but believe me, I was on fire.

But I still say the Republicans are runnign her as the main item on the ticket. Sure McCain gets top billing but it just seems like he is the Puppet Show to Palins Spinal Tap

I don't think so anymore. The financial mess of the last couple weeks took her out of that spotlight. Issues are important again and being wonky is not her strong suit--watch how she defers to quoting McCain whenever she encounters a policy question. At best, they're shooting for an outsider, regular-folks vibe with her and hope people identify with that. She got the talking points down last night, but there wasn't a lot of evidence that she fully grasps several of the issues yet.(what was up with her nuclear Iran answer?) In this current environment, I don't think they can reasonably posit her as the focal point of the campaign.

it's "productive" in the same way that a cough can be.

Turn your head and cough can be productive.

I don't think so anymore. The financial mess of the last couple weeks took her out of that spotlight. Issues are important again and being wonky is not her strong suit--watch how she defers to quoting McCain whenever she encounters a policy question. At best, they're shooting for a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington-esque type outsider, regular-folks vibe with her and hope people identify with that. In this current environment, I don't think they can reasonably posit her as the focal point of the campaign.

i think in the last week or two McCain has re-asserted himself policy wise etc...but when it comes to high profile events she is the draw, she is the one selling the tickets to the show.

Yeah, I think Biden's choking-up moment caught her off guard--it caught me off guard. That one went off the script and I think she looked like she was moved, too, but didn't know how to respond to it...so she went back to the script. She handled it awkwardly.

I completely expect some pundit to chime in about that moment, calling it cheesy or pandering or something. It wasn't. I usually hate those sorts of moments precisely because they usually do feel manipulative, but this sort of came out of nowhere and felt very genuine. As a dad, that moment gave me chills--thank you, Joe, for pointing out that family issues are every bit as relevant to us as to the hockey moms of the world. :cheers

Directly following the debate, Pat Buchanan (on Fox News) said Palin wiped the floor with Biden and that she is "the most attractive" of all four candidates. Eww.

Was he showing her his pray face?

Directly following the debate, Pat Buchanan (on Fox News) said Palin wiped the floor with Biden and that she is "the most attractive" of all four candidates. Eww.

I wonder who came in second.