New Andrew Bird LP

7.5 on Pitchfork this morning:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...ird-noble-beast

gotta say i agree w/ Joe's review and always love reading his reviews of Andrew's records.

that score is lower than both Armchair (7.8) and Mysterious Production of Eggs (8.3), which i'd agree with the order somewhat, but probably a full point lower than i'd score them all ;)

Haven't read the PF review yet, but I'd agree with you that I'd score all three (at least) a point higher (MPoE is near flawless for me). But I would swap the AA and NB scores.

MPoE - 9.5

NB - 8.8

AA - 8.5

ETA: okay I read the review. It seems to me, his only complaints were that it challenges you and takes a while ti sink in (a HUGE positive in my book) and that Bird has a tendency to use lyrics for mood and sound rather than beating you over the head with message and symbolism (another plus in my book). one o my favorite lyrics is:

From the bottom of the lake as they draw

I watched water bugs skate as they draw

From the bottom of the lake

I watched the water bugs skate

Now obviously that is from MPoE, but it is Bird at his best, IMO. 11:11, though it has a message and story in there, is another high water mark for Bird. I admit I haven't delved too deeply into the lyrics of NB, but the album creates atmosphere and challenges my ear and, to me, that is what a good album does.

Now this is why music criticism is such a strange thing to me. The PF reviewer approaches music differently than I do and that's fine. The nice thing about this review is that he does a good job of presenting his criticisms so you can identify that difference. Nonetheless, an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem for me with Noble Beast is... it's been well over a month now and it hasn't really "sunken in" with me... i guess sometimes records take longer than that, but i've listened well over a dozen times and i still find myself less interested in it than the last 2 (and maybe 3) albums, and losing interest the more i play it.

just wish there were more melodies that get stuck in my head other than 3 songs...

i am still spinning Useless Creatures a ton though. honestly wished he'd have reviewed that alongside Noble, but oh well.

This is excellent, and well worth the $10 + shipping. It's a very good recording of a very good performance. My only complaint is that I wanted it to be longer!

Also, I agree with Lou. The thumb hole might've been helpful, but a slightly bigger outer sleeve would've easily solved all the problems, too. If they thought about including a warning, that should've been a clue to them that the packaging wasn't very well-designed. These problems could've been easily avoided.

Damnit, I want it. Makes no sense that it's been out for over a year and now Fat Possum has it listed to be released in 2009? Maybe they are gonna release a full show? I gotta find me a copy of that, never even knew it was out.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Deluxe edition, I picked it up yesterday at Best Buy (they had it filed under Andrew :uhoh) liking both Noble and Creatures thus far, and where I successfully removed the discs without ripping, I ripped the shit out of the case removing the liner notes in the middle. :frusty

Thanks for the recommendations on the Deluxe edition, I picked it up yesterday at Best Buy (they had it filed under Andrew :uhoh ) liking both Noble and Creatures thus far, and where I successfully removed the discs without ripping, I ripped the shit out of the case removing the liner notes in the middle. :frusty

how much was the Deluxe @ BB?

the problem for me with Noble Beast is... it's been well over a month now and it hasn't really "sunken in" with me... i guess sometimes records take longer than that, but i've listened well over a dozen times and i still find myself less interested in it than the last 2 (and maybe 3) albums, and losing interest the more i play it.

just wish there were more melodies that get stuck in my head other than 3 songs...

i am still spinning Useless Creatures a ton though. honestly wished he'd have reviewed that alongside Noble, but oh well.

Yeah different strokes I guess. I found NB more interesting than AA right off the bat. But the tracks that I still come back to on AA are things like Armchairs, which didn't sink in right away for me. A lot of the album got old fast. Songs like Dark Matter and Fiery Crash I never listened to after the first few spins. There just isn't much there other than a decent hook, IMO. Like I said above, it's all about how you approach music and different things move different people in different ways, making album reviews completely accurate to exactly one person.

melody wise, i don't think he's put out a more catchy album than AA for me.

sure Eggs had Fake Palindromes, but other than 3-4 songs, AA was just one after the other totally catchy tracks.

Fiery Crash is amaaaaazing imo. ;)

but Dark Matter i much prefer live

melody wise, i don't think he's put out a more catchy album than AA for me.

sure Eggs had Fake Palindromes, but other than 3-4 songs, AA was just one after the other totally catchy tracks.

Fiery Crash is amaaaaazing imo. ;)

but Dark Matter i much prefer live

Like I said, different strokes. We obviously aren't drawn to the same things in music. I find MPoE much catchier too, but also with more staying power. With Sovay, Fake Palindromes, Nervous Tic..., Measuring Cups, Masterfade, Opposite Day, Skin Is, My, Naming of Things and Tables & Chairs all tracks I could still listen to over and over again after countless spins. Even the tracks I don;t mention compare favorably for me with anything on AA.

huh. fair enough.

i'd put Heretics (one of his all time best songs for me), Plasticities, Imitosis, Simple X, Fiery Crash, Scythian Empires, & Spare-Ohs all up there

I do love Heretics and Simple X. Plasticities and Imitosis are also good songs, but lost me after a while.

huh. fair enough.

i'd put Heretics (one of his all time best songs for me), Plasticities, Imitosis, Simple X, Fiery Crash, Scythian Empires, & Spare-Ohs all up there

Solace I totally think Heretics is one of his best songs as well! I haven't found anyone else that agrees with me but it's just a pop masterpiece (especially the key change in the middle woooo). As for the Pfork review, I agree with it for the most part and it is a quite flattering review yet not a truly flattering score, but realistically did any of us think they'd give him over an 8? I didn't anyways. This album is a total grower and I might even enjoy more than MPoE (listen to it with headphones people!). The record isn't even out in Canada yet, they pushed it back another week for some reason, the bonus disc is also quite nice, it's great to actually have a bonus disc that is somewhat meaningful artistically, for me that rarely happens even though I always am a sucker for buying them. As for my scoring of his last three records.

Mysterious Production Of Eggs - 8.5

Armchair Apocrypha - 9.0

Noble Beast - 8.8

I really think he is one of the best and most interesting artists today, I can't wait to finally see him in April in Toronto!

yeah, i personally think Joe's score would have been an 8+, but the score is weighted, and PFM has never been nearly as kind to Andrew's records as he deserves (save for that crazy ass 9 for Swimming Hour).

but yeah... Heretics BLOWS MY MIND every time i listen to it :)

I think the tour only starts this weekend. As far as I know, he's playing with his band, though. If that show in Philadelphia were Saturday instead of Sunday, I'd be there for sure, but unfortunately I'm going to have to skip it.

I listened to the album for the first time this afternoon. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, which I mean as a good thing. What's always struck me about his work is the way it transports me. I get lost in it, whether I'm listening to an album or seeing him live, and I felt a much stronger sense of that than I expected to. I need at least a few more listens before I can decide how it compares with his other albums for me, but it's even richer and more layered than I was expecting.

I'm new to Andrew Bird and I like what I hear. He's coming to Boston at the end of the month and tickets are going for below face value on craigslist. *scratches chin*

Interesting review. I bought this last night at BB and have not heard it all the way through yet.

Many thanks to everyone on the packaging heads-up. With great care I was able to remove both discs without inflicting damage... but I agree it's a pretty Crappy design on that.

Many thanks to everyone on the packaging heads-up. With great care I was able to remove both discs without inflicting damage... but I agree it's a pretty Crappy design on that.
We aim to please... :lol Get out your tweezers....they are not just for plucking eyebrows anymore....

LouieB

Wow, here is a brutal review from The Reader, which takes not some pretty cheap shots at Andrew, but one at Wilco as well. (Oh No does sound rather Wilcoesque....)

LouieB

Yeah, that's just a terrible review. It sounds like from the start that the guy hates Andrew Bird's guts and is using it as a crutch for dismantling the album. While Noble Beast isn't, say, an amazing record, it's not like it's worse than Coldplay...

Reviews like that say more about the reviewer than the reviewee. Am i supposed to not like things because they are favored by other "white people"!?! I like music that speaks to me emotionally and excites me by providing interesting melodic, rhythmic and harmonic sounds. Noble Beast provides that in spades for me. If the reviewer from The Reader disagrees, that is his prerogative, but that is not a review, it is a lynching based on a predisposition.

ETA: I found this picture of the Reader reviewer online (he's on the left):

Icy_Hot_Stuntaz.jpg