New Andrew Bird LP

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not as hip as the rest of you and have not yet heard this album, I would like to point out that there was a really nice article about Andrew in the NY Times magazine yesterday that was really well done and has a picture suitable for framing for those with Andrew as a RSBF.

LouieB

a picture suitable for framing for those with Andrew as a RSBF.

LouieB

Thanks, Rosie. :lol

There is that element to his writing that is orchestral, operatic, even show tune-ish. This album delves pretty deeply into that.

Apparently, I could write reviews for the NYT.

I'm still smitten with Bird's vocabulary.

I'm still smitten with Bird's vocabulary.

Agreed, however, it isn't so strong on Useless Creatures. :shifty

I've listened to Noble and Useless several times. I think Useless is a great companion piece but really, really like Noble Beasts. I don't believe I have seen Andrew since his days with Bowl of Fire. I need to get out and see him this go around.

Agreed, however, it isn't so strong on Useless Creatures. :shifty

I've listened to Noble and Useless several times. I think Useless is a great companion piece but really, really like Noble Beasts. I don't believe I have seen Andrew since his days with Bowl of Fire. I need to get out and see him this go around.

Ha! I remember hearing about Useless Creatures several months ago and thinking that was going to be his only new release this year and saying waaaaydaminnit!

Thanks, Rosie. :lol
The hard copy is in the mail to her....

I don't believe I have seen Andrew since his days with Bowl of Fire. I need to get out and see him this go around.
Hey old timer.... :lol It's going to get harder to see him now....

LouieB

Hey old timer.... :lol It's going to get harder to see him now....

LouieB

:lol I'll say. Doesn't look like he hits Schubas as much as he used to. That Civic Opera House gig appears to have sold out before I ever saw it go on sale. I may have to travel to see him.

lou, thanks for the link to the article!

i have a ticket to see a.b. in mid february here in l.a.

last time he played the orpheum, the handsome family toured with him. :w00t

:lol I'll say. Doesn't look like he hits Schubas as much as he used to. That Civic Opera House gig appears to have sold out before I ever saw it go on sale. I may have to travel to see him.

I don't believe the Civic Opera House show has gone on sale yet. Don't scare me now! :lol

I don't believe the Civic Opera House show has gone on sale yet. Don't scare me now! :lol

I never saw it go on sale but see some tickets available on stub hub and ticketsnow (ticketmaster's very own scalping business). I'm glad to hear that they haven't gone on sale but can't for the life of me understand how they are already being scalped.

Ah, that always happens...I never understand it either. Maybe the venue sets some aside for the brokers or something?

I think the Bird newsletter said it would go on sale in early 2009...I'll keep an eye out and post here when the onsale is announced.

I never saw it go on sale but see some tickets available on stub hub and ticketsnow (ticketmaster's very own scalping business). I'm glad to hear that they haven't gone on sale but can't for the life of me understand how they are already being scalped.

scalpers and brokers often sell tickets before they actually have them... the either guess approx where he location is, or they have means of guaranteeing them those same seats for almost every show (season ticket holders, donors, etc.)

mega lame

Yes! Thanks Kyle for the head's up. I got 2 in row D for the Chicago show as well. I skipped seeing him last year, so I don't mind so much the extra bucks for the nice location and reserved seats etc.

Now I just went downstairs and checked my mail -- my new deluxe "Noble Beast" CD arrived!!!

Beautiful -- and no plastic container!! Yay!

What a great day! :music

yeah... there's a Chicago presale right now:

http://www.andrewbird.tickets.musictoday.c...d/calendar.aspx

and Ann Arbor :shifty

I'm also embarrassingly late to the AB party. Been on a steady diet of Eggs and Armchair for a few days, and the guy really is great. Would love to see him live. Tables and Chairs is a perfect song.

What about the older Bowl of Fire stuff? What's that like?

(btw - I expect bonus points for using the search function)

I'm also embarrassingly late to the AB party. Been on a steady diet of Eggs and Armchair for a few days, and the guy really is great. Would love to see him live. Tables and Chairs is a perfect song.

What about the older Bowl of Fire stuff? What's that like?

(btw - I expect bonus points for using the search function)

Not sure about the bonus points considering there is an Andrew Bird thread 2 below this one. Swimming Hour is the only Bowl of Fire album that I find myself going back to. It's pretty danged good.