Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are entitled to believe something even if it's false. What they're not allowed to do is act upon that belief

in a way that breaks any laws. Blacks were once thought to be an inferior race, and as such were enslaved. The belief

was incorrect, but no laws were broken. Some people still believe that, and they may be dumb asses for it, but not only

can't control the thoughts of another, the freedom to think and express our beliefs is one of the principles that supposedly

makes America great.

p.s. - And, if you don

Now this thread has just gotten creepy......none of this matters anyway.....the next president of the US of A will be a gay loving, commie, muslim, chicagoan, not white guy named Barack Obama...so it goes for all those who want to believe insane stuff about non-white or not straight or not regular people off all sorts as well as people with last names that end with a vowel (first president like that also...) Inside of a month this will all be over....and frankly I can't wait. The earth will not fly out of its orbit and also frankly things won't even change that much, but at least we will finally have broken down a few barriers that need breaking and fast, leaving us to deal with the wars, the strife, the fiscal crises and all the rest.

LouieB

The older I get the more I can feel, in the place of belief, palpably feel that people who are threatened by, or feel the downfall of their community is caused by racial minorities, homosexuals or even illegal immigrants are suffering from an acute psychological disorder. It is no surprise this country has seen so many people act on these opinions in disgusting and violent ways, they are suffering from fully formed, paranoid, neuroses. Whenever I hear that kind of hate speech it makes me see clearly the failures, frustrations, and shortcomings of the person making it, and their blame-shifting distortions.

Preaching to the choir here, but I guess what I am saying is to me it's no longer: what you believe a lot of this prejudice is more what is wrong with your mind.

Agreed....

Actually McCain did something totally cool the other day (of course his campaign precipiated it...) which was he tried to talk his supporters down off their hatred of Barack. The writing is on the fucking wall and maybe even he can read it. Barack is going to win this thing and dividing the country even further may even seem like a bad idea to the not quite always there John McCain.

Much of the dislike of Barack is not simply political, it is also highly cultural, which includes the fact that Barack is a person of color. Many many people are going to vote against the man because he is you know what n-word. The article in the New Yorker identifies this as well. What we really don't need now are people getting freaked out that Barack is not only a Muslim, pals around with terrorists, etc., but also the biggest issue this country has faced always and that is he is black. Just when racial tension appears to be less than it used to be (and frankly Barack ain't that scary in any event..) it doesn't make sense to inflame racial prejudice. Maybe even McCain at this late our (that one....) is beginning to figure this out.

LouieB

Found it - it was in the small print.

the freedom to think and express our beliefs is one of the principles that supposedly

makes America great.

Not sure if you were joking or not. How about up to and including expressing our own beliefs that others are wrong?

Actually McCain did something totally cool the other day (of course his campaign precipiated it...) which was he tried to talk his supporters down off their hatred of Barack. The writing is on the fucking wall and maybe even he can read it. Barack is going to win this thing and dividing the country even further may even seem like a bad idea to the not quite always there John McCain.

If you see footage of the rallies, McCain has lost control of his mob. There's this disenfranchised group of conservative, white, working-class fanatics that are picking up torches. I actually felt a little warmth for McCain when he served out his "Obama does this and that" line and before the whole crowd erupts someone yells "Kill him!". McCain makes this face that says "Okaaaay.... that's a bit muuuuch."

One of these days, the culture war may involve actual combat.

If you see footage of the rallies, McCain has lost control of his mob. There's this disenfranchised group of conservative, white, working-class fanatics that are picking up torches. I actually felt a little warmth for McCain when he served out his "Obama does this and that" line and before the whole crowd erupts someone yells "Kill him!". McCain makes this face that says "Okaaaay.... that's a bit muuuuch."
It was quite moving. McCain ain't stupid and he has to continue to be seen as a moderate of sorts to win this thing. He has allowed his message to get out of control. I am sure he doesn't want his legacy to be an actual war as bjorn points out.

LouieB

Georgia Democrat and Civil Rights Activist just slammed the McCain campaign for stoking the fires of hatred. McCain begged Obama to repudiate the claims, as they were exaggerated and unfair. Obama did half as much saying that comparisons to segregationist governor George Wallace were inaccurate, but that accusing him of 'paling around with terrorists' was reckless and divisive.

Check in any decent news site, and you'll get the whole story. Another small nail in the coffin of the McCain campaign.

I applaud McCain for trying to take a stand and do the right thing. When these people say they scared and Obama's an arab McCain almost looks deflated as he responds. I felt bad for him it's almost as if he had no idea about the type and the depth of the disinformation out there or the hositility it was raising.

BTW the attack dog was at it again today. Listening to her speak is very grating. She must be a major Hannity fan because that's who she reminds me of.

Now this thread has just gotten creepy......none of this matters anyway.....the next president of the US of A will be a gay loving, commie, muslim, chicagoan, not white guy named Barack Hussein Obama...so it goes for all those who want to believe insane stuff about non-white or not straight or not regular people off all sorts as well as people with last names that end with a vowel (first president like that also...) Inside of a month this will all be over....and frankly I can't wait. The earth will not fly out of its orbit and also frankly things won't even change that much, but at least we will finally have broken down a few barriers that need breaking and fast, leaving us to deal with the wars, the strife, the fiscal crises and all the rest.

LouieB

Fixed it.

You know this "thier entitled to their opinion thing is something I believe in. But I forget who said it, but they may be entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to their own facts. And when the facts are so horribly wrong all it can do is send thos eopinions over the edge. And that is what is happening in America today. Sadly it's being perpetuated by the media through fox and the talk radio noise machine and the mainstream media has not done enough to debunk or correct these errors of fictional facts. I think the mainstream media has become so cowed by the right wing noise machine that they just won't do it or they just don't want to becaue it provides spice to the race.

mccain's attempts to slightly calm the extremely aggressive frenzy he and palin have been whipping up among supporters (ones you'd think he'd be ashamed to name as his) are really too tame and oblivious, in my opinion. a face that reacts to someone yelling "kill him" with a "that's a bit muuuuch" look does not cut it. they and their campaign are appealing to the absolute worst in people, at least in some places. i didn't foresee this kind of ugliness, maybe because to me it goes beyond the political into some other hellish realm.

like you say elsewhere, there are mental problems in those crowds, and they scare me like any other aggressive, violence-spewing mob that shows up in my living room via the television. in fact, . . . never mind.

Sarah Palin just got booed in Philly at the Rangers-Flyers game. I think we can call the Quaker State for Obama.

Isn't this election already won? I guess we can have 35 more freaking threads about it but really...

Congress has done a bang-up job these recent years (and days), and fuckhead bush hasn't done a thing to try and change our situation. Now there will be an outright majority. I honestly wish them the best.

I'm getting a jump on things in my locale by revisiting the spanish I learned in school. Should come in handy methinks.

McCain has dug his own grave. I actually like McCain and think he is a great human being that served this country faithfully. I have tremendous respect for that. however, I don't agree with the fundamentals of the Republican party and I do not agree with McCain's politics. I have gained new found respect for him after his comments to the audience at Friday's town hall meetings - that is the McCain that I like and appreciate. I think he wants in one hand, but is too old for the other hand. his decision to select Palin as VP is a disaster. these events pay off for the Obama campaign and I'm glad because personally, I believe that he can invigorate this country and bring new blood into the White House and the Supreme Court. it's time for the old guard to go by the wayside, in my opinion.

I have gained new found respect for him after his comments to the audience at Friday's town hall meetings - that is the McCain that I like and appreciate.

It would have been better if he had made those comments to the wack-jobs showing up at rallys before he was publicly admonished for his previous silence by several sources. I also don't doubt the Secret Service has had something to say to him about the rhetoric employed at his rallies lately. My wife works at a childrens' museum in Columbus and the area she runs happens to have a direct view of the park that Obama gave a speech at on Friday. She described the Secret Service presence at her workplace as "rather intense" that day. I don't doubt it, with some of the crazies coming out of the woodwork lately.

Sarah Palin just got booed in Philly at the Rangers-Flyers game. I think we can call the Quaker State for Obama.

Ha! I guess they don't buy the co-opted (fake) "hockey mom" bs. She isn't like any of the pro-choice, tree-hugging, gay marriage blessing, universal health care loving hockey moms that I know. :)

I believe that he can invigorate this country and bring new blood into the White House and the Supreme Court. it's time for the old guard to go by the wayside, in my opinion.

I think Obama is uniquely qualified for the job. There's no one more suited to inspire and empower the American people to pick up the pieces and build a better world than a former community organiser.

Sarah Palin just got booed in Philly at the Rangers-Flyers game.

I was hoping she would get booed. I knew my (sort of) hometown wouldn't let me down. Why would Ed Snider, Flyers owner, get Sarah Palin to appear at a major event in a blue city like Philly? I guess she got a good dose of that coastal elitism we keep hearing so much about.