Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

I wonder what do you expect from me? That I will see the brilliance of your arguments (in Kwall
  • Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, that is awesome.

I always disliked Buckley Sr. intensely, but at least he was an intelligent and well-read man. I could fundamentally disagree with him on virtually every issue, yet still respect his intellect.

Unfortunately, these days intellectuals like Buckley (and his son reads like one, too) are held in fairly low esteem in America in general, and in the Republican party in particular. It seems many in the America of today value strength and aggressiveness over insight or compassion, and don't have much use for those who have been cursed with the ability to think. Witness the ascent of candidate Palin (or Pallin', if you prefer).

I'd like to see that article on the Op-Ed page of every newspaper in America.

There are several well reasoned conservative writers I enjoy reading. I don't always agree with them but they are usually well written and they don't fly off to the extreme's like some. George Will and David Brooks being two of them. Bill Kristol woul dbe an example of one I can not stomach.

I woudl like to see that out there in the mainstream press also. However many of today's style conservatives have no clue who Buckley was, the conservative elite do, but not the rank and file so much. I have a feeling this op-ed was published where it was published so it would not hit the light of day also.

For the record, I

From The Atlantic:

The Unthinkable

And really the unsayable. But I've been thinking about this McCain-Palin Obama "palling around with terrorist" idea more lately. The saddest thing about many Republicans isn't just that they disagree with liberals on race--it's they are largely ignorant on race. When the McCain campaign cast the spell of diabolical jingoism, they have no idea of the forces they are toying with. We remember Martin Luther King's murder as a sad and tragic event. Less remembered is the fact that ground-work for King's murder was seeded, not simply by rank white supremacy, but by people who slandered King as a communist.

This was not some notion bandied about by conspiracy theorist, but an accusation proffered by men who were the pillars of the modern Republican Party:

As late as 1964, Falwell was attacking the 1964 Civil Rights Act as "civil wrongs" legislation. He questioned "the sincerity and intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left-wing associations." Falwell charged, "It is very obvious that the Communists, as they do in all parts of the world, are taking advantage of a tense situation in our land, and are exploiting every incident to bring about violence and bloodshed."

Falwell was not alone. These men didn't kill Martin Luther King, but they contributed to an atmosphere of nationalism, white supremacy and cheap unreflective patriotism that ultimately got a lot of people killed. Confronted with Aparthied South Africa, men like Helms and Falwell used the same "communist" defense. While Mandella wasted away in prison, they dismissed the whole thing as a communist plot.

Let me be clear--This is the ghost that McCain Campaign is summoning. This is the Ring Of Power that they want to wield. The Muslim charge, the "Hussein" thing is nothing more than today's red-baiting, and it is what it was then--a cover for racists. You may say I'm overreacting, and I really hope you're right. 999,000 out 1 million times we'll go on like normal and proceed to Election Day. But if some shit pops off, the thug and thug-mongers will not be able to throw up their hands and say "How could I have known?" Ignorance will not save them. Their stupidity is a scourge on us all.

source - http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/arc...thinkable_1.php

That would be hard to discern from your posting record here.

Not being pro-Obama equates to being pro-McCain as "you are either with us or with the terrorists."

Awesome.

P.S. "Spell-check" keeps trying to change Obama to Osama, coincidence? I think not.

P.S. "Spell-check" keeps trying to change Obama to Osama, coincidence? I think not.

Absentee Ballots in NY are being sent out with Barack Osama on them. Typo is what the excuse is, even though s & b are nowhere near each other and whatever happend to proof reading?

So I go to the local Retardican hq today to gain some insight on their candidate for state rep. in my district.

1. They have nothing to offer. Kind of shocked me especially since it is a hot race here. They tell me his is a CPA and the financiers in town speak highly of him. Whoa, thanks.

2. The old hags mention to everyone coming in, " He (Obama) is a mooslim, once a mooslim, always a mooslim, I don't think God wants him in the White House." One of the visitors responds, "good, I can say how I feel in here." At which point decries the Democrats are to blame for their McCain signs and stickers being 3 days late to arrive.

geez, barf, retards

There is a strong chance that in about a month every one of these bozos is going to have to confront the fact that someone they view as 'biologically inferior' or some other asinine nonsense is in charge of their country. I wonder how much that can do to get these yokels to flex their heads. It's gotta be worth something.

There is a strong chance that in about a month every one of these bozos is going to have to confront the fact that someone they view as 'biologically inferior' or some other asinine nonsense is in charge of their country.

Payback for the bushCo years.

Intersting that David Gergan wrote an op-ed calling ont he McCain camp to tone it down as he thinks it could lead to real violence.

Also Fox news did poll and found that the Ayers/terrorist angle is not helping McCain. I really think it only energizes and infuriates the base. But having 30% of the country goining unhinged is a lot of people.

Intersting that David Gergan wrote an op-ed calling ont he McCain camp to tone it down as he thinks it could lead to real violence.

If that's true then everyone needs to fucking relax.

Didn't your namesake put it this way? "Everybody be cool! Just be cool!"

Wall Streeters should do the same.

Indeed, but I was referring more to the fear of riots over the election.

2. The old hags mention to everyone coming in, " He (Obama) is a mooslim, once a mooslim, always a mooslim, I don't think God wants him in the White House." One of the visitors responds, "good, I can say how I feel in here." At which point decries the Democrats are to blame for their McCain signs and stickers being 3 days late to arrive.

At least they weren't calling him retarded.