Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

My Grandmother and Grandfather are concerned every election cycle that the Republicans are going to take away their medications and their Social Security, is that fear mongering?

if they are being told that by people who know for sure there is absolutely no reason to worry about social security and medications under a republican administration, yes, i'd call that fearmongering.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it isn't fine with me when it's used as a manipulative smear, and that's how palin and company are using it.

I agree with you and yes they're obviously making more of it than necessary. He still knew the guy and continued to associate with him after he became aware of his ties. That's all I am saying. Doesn't make Obama a terrorist.

So you are oblivious to the tens of thousands of independent mortgage brokers/originators that filled in the forms, "verified assets" and qualified these borrowers for these products (products that by the way in and of themselves were perfectly legitimate when used for their intended purposes) and then put them into loans provided by these banks? I guess I'm just one of the great unwashed masses but I see the problem with this starting just as much at the bottom of the chain as it did the top.

If I buy mortgage backed securities (real property) I would expect that theses securities have been scrutinized heavily and passed through the hands of many professionals tasked with making sure that the asset has value to support the paper given for that asset (both in equity and ability to be repaid). This did not happen.

You're not the only one with an accounting background btw.

P.S.

What do Barack Obama and Osama Bin Laden have in common?

They both know someone who bombed the Pentagon.

The last part just perpetuates the ignorance. Good job of stickin to the talkin points!

The first part of the answer obviously ignores my response. Where is the hard public evidence of thsi widespread fraud?????? All I have heard is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is it. as they say in crappy Tom Cruise movies "show me the money" Where is the proof? Rigth now the proof is akin to the thirteen year old kid with a girlfriend who lives in the Niagra falls area of New York, i.e. nice story but not proof of existence.

Also you choose to continually ignore the role of deregualtion in letting the banks act as financial investment/product selelrs and letting the financial products guys act as banks. Keep heapin the blame on the bottom and not where it belongs and that is squarely on the shoulders of the deregualtors. Of course being the wise consumer that you are being the prudent steward of honesty and virtue that you are when you blame the masses for taking the mortgages in the first place remember this that they could aford these homes whhen they bought them, they were sold a bill of goods and lost. Give them hell for taking advantage of a deal that was too goood to be true. Give them hell for listening to the president and participatin in the "ownership society" and for not understandin what that meant. Am I sayin that all of them are blameless? nope, i'm just choosin not to focus on them. I'm chosin to focus on the people who set up the rules and set the playin field. Because without them and their deregualtion the probelm today does nto exist.

Do I sound pissed ? You betcha. Why? I have a job makin good money and have good security, so why should I be pissed? Personally I've probably lost half of my kids college funds as of right now. I'm losing retirement $$ from my 401K, but most of all I'm pissed because for twenty years the republicans have had their way, and even though their way does nto work as advertised (trickle down is an f'ing joke) but even though their ideas don't work, they continue to push the same crap down our throats day after day, election after election and they need to go and go now.

My Grandmother and Grandfather are concerned every election cycle that the Republicans are going to take away their medications and their Social Security, is that fear mongering?

Nope its reality when you consider that Bush has tried to end SS and the general view of SS from the right is that it should not exist. And no especially when the candidate this election cylce clearly has a history of bein agaisnt medicare. I don't honestly think that is fear mongerin. It is what the republican party wants to have happen.

Compare that (takin actual republican positions) to what is occurin today...Obama the muslim, Obama the terrorist, only we can keep you safe (ignoring that only they were at the helm on 911) etc...

I liked this Daily Show bit last night - they showed the clip of McCain at the debate saying "I will find Bin Laden, because I know how to do it." Cut to Jon Stewart: "You know how to do it? When were you going to tell us, you dick!"

I agree with you and yes they're obviously making more of it than necessary. He still knew the guy and continued to associate with him after he became aware of his ties. That's all I am saying. Doesn't make Obama a terrorist.

a lot of people knew the guy and continue to associate with him today. some people are with him right now as i type. that doesn't mean they condone what he was doing in the late sixties, before he became a professor and began working for positive causes. i think it's a very weird link to focus on when it comes to obama, and i do think "pallin' around" (which palin uses in the present tense) is misleading in the extreme.

Okay can we get back to legitmate discussion?

Has anyone seen the CNBC doc "The Hunt for Black Gold"? I thought it was very well done. Why is more not being done to refute the idea that offshore and ANWR drilling will have an immediate impact on energy independence? There were oil industry lobbyists and executives in this doc that concede that we don't have the infrastructure to do anything with these reserves and we'd be looking at 10 years before we felt even a minor impact. Yet it seems even many liberals now believe that offshore and ANWR drilling is important (in concert with pursuing alternative energies) to our energy independence. Am I missing something? CNBC is hardly the NYT.

The last part just perpetuates the ignorance. Good job of stickin to the talkin points!

The first part of the answer obviously ignores my response. Where is the hard public evidence of thsi widespread fraud?????? All I have heard is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is it. as they say in crappy Tom Cruise movies "show me the money" Where is the proof? Rigth now the proof is akin to the thirteen year old kid with a girlfriend who lives in the Niagra falls area of New York, i.e. nice story but not proof of existence.

Also you choose to continually ignore the role of deregualtion in letting the banks act as financial investment/product selelrs and letting the financial products guys act as banks. Keep heapin the blame on the bottom and not where it belongs and that is squarely on the shoulders of the deregualtors. Of course being the wise consumer that you are being the prudent steward of honesty and virtue that you are when you blame the masses for taking the mortgages in the first place remember this that they could aford these homes whhen they bought them, they were sold a bill of goods and lost. Give them hell for taking advantage of a deal that was too goood to be true. Give them hell for listening to the president and participatin in the "ownership society" and for not understandin what that meant. Am I sayin that all of them are blameless? nope, i'm just choosin not to focus on them. I'm chosin to focus on the people who set up the rules and set the playin field. Because without them and their deregualtion the probelm today does nto exist.

Do I sound pissed ? You betcha. Why? I have a job makin good money and have good security, so why should I be pissed? Personally I've probably lost half of my kids college funds as of right now. I'm losing retirement $$ from my 401K, but most of all I'm pissed because for twenty years the republicans have had their way, and even though their way does nto work as advertised (trickle down is an f'ing joke) but even though their ideas don't work, they continue to push the same crap down our throats day after day, election after election and they need to go and go now.

I love to ignore the air of superiority and reply to your crap anyway so here I go. I've not debated your points because I like to spread the blame around, I find it much easier to look at the parties involved and assign responsibility that way. Find where I said I found deregulation innocent in any of this.

As far as anecdotal, I guess since I'm a licensed real estate agent, own ten rental units and am an accountant for a construction design and engineering firm, the experience I have with this is meaningless.

OK please explain to me what Interest Only ARM's, Stated Income/No Asset loans and Negative Amortization loans were created for? I'd love to be educated by you.

Also, I would think that a guy as smart as yourself, with his finger on the pulse of the financial markets would have seen this coming and found a better way to secure his kids college funds of even a way to capitalize on this downturn.

Yes, but only one of them is running for President of the United States.

that's right! i agree! :)

a lot of people knew the guy and continue to associate with him today. some people are with him right now as i type. that doesn't mean they condone what he was doing in the late sixties, before he became a professor and began working for positive causes. i think it's a very weird link to focus on when it comes to obama, and i do think "pallin' around" (which palin uses in the present tense) is misleading in the extreme.

That's debatable.

That's debatable.

well, whatever. we'd all have heard about it if he'd set off bombs in the last 35 years, so with his history that's a positive. :lol

obama isn't frothing. that may be the most important thing.

No, it's brought up to plant lies about Obama in the minds of uninformed potential voters.

exactly.

It's ok to disagree without being disagreeable. We have more important things to concern ourselves with.

Okay can we get back to legitmate discussion?

Has anyone seen the CNBC doc "The Hunt for Black Gold"? I thought it was very well done. Why is more not being done to refute the idea that offshore and ANWR drilling will have an immediate impact on energy independence? There were oil industry lobbyists and executives in this doc that concede that we don't have the infrastructure to do anything with these reserves and we'd be looking at 10 years before we felt even a minor impact. Yet it seems even many liberals now believe that offshore and ANWR drilling is important (in concert with pursuing alternative energies) to our energy independence. Am I missing something? CNBC is hardly the NYT.

I guess not. :ohwell