Beatles remasters are here!

There is an interview with that guy in the Mark Lewisohn book I have mentioned around here a few times.

Do you think that'll ever get re-issued? The complete recording sessions one is probably most fascinating read on them I've ever owned, but as I understand in the last several years it's become almost impossible to find.

--Mike

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question. for those of you with the new Past Masters, does Get Back sound a little fuzzy on your speakers? not sure if that's how its supposed to sound or not. i have a few of the remasters and they all sound great except for this song and its one of my fav Beatles songs :ohwell

ok, so i bought the remastered Let it Be this evening and can confirm that the Get Back from Past Masters is indeed fuzzy sounding while the Let it Be version sounds perfect. strange. maybe i have a defected Past Masters? anyone care to listen to their copy and see how it sounds to them?

Do you think that'll ever get re-issued? The complete recording sessions one is probably most fascinating read on them I've ever owned, but as I understand in the last several years it's become almost impossible to find.

--Mike

I was surprised to see them listed on Amazon the other day (at such a high price). I knew the original hardback was going for that much, but I didn't know the re-print/revised edition was going for that much. The original hardback edition has different photos in that than the re-print. I think I got that book for 20 bucks on some sale table in a book store. I can't recall where I got the re-print. I think I have read that he is working on a Beatles biography book. You would think they would be re-printed when his new book comes out. Or at least they should.

Is it the complete Beatles chronicle? Is that pretty good?

Yes, but it is very expensive.

I got the mono box set yesterday. So far Ive only been able to listen to Revolver (on a proper stereo of course and turned up pretty loud) and to me the mono mix seems to rock more, it seems to have more "balls." My wife mentioned that listening to the mono mixes reminded her of hearing her parents old records back in the day. I think that is a very good thing.

I got the mono box set yesterday. So far Ive only been able to listen to Revolver (on a proper stereo of course and turned up pretty loud) and to me the mono mix seems to rock more, it seems to have more "balls." My wife mentioned that listening to the mono mixes reminded her of hearing her parents old records back in the day. I think that is a very good thing.

if it has more balls i don't want anything to do with it. now, if it has more vagina then, it's possible i'll pick this mono thing up.

For what it's worth, I ripped the entire Stereo Remasters box to iTunes using the new Apple Lossless option.

3.46GB total. 9.3 hours. I think it's worth the space on the iPod.

For what it's worth, I ripped the entire Stereo Remasters box to iTunes using the new Apple Lossless option.

3.46GB total. 9.3 hours. I think it's worth the space on the iPod.

I just ripped my buddy's mono set using Apple Lossless. It's definitely worth it. I want to say it was around 2.5 GB, but I don't remember.

I'm just glad I'm finally able to listen to these. Just finished Please Please Me. Sounds excellent.

It is ALAC.

I'm waiting for the Beatles IPOD to come out (fully loaded with Mono and Stereo versions of all songs, in the shape and color of a yellow submarine). It can only be a matter of time, right?

I bought The Complete Beatles Chronicle for $15 at Strand Annex (which is now defuncted, unfortunately, since it was a lovelier smaller version of the main Strand Bookstore on Broadway and 12th here in NYC). They have Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions for 20 dollars now and I have to pick that up as soon as possible. In the meantime, I borrowed the '88 edition from the library, along with Emerick's book and "Every Little Thing: The Definitive Guide to Beatles Recording Variations, Rare Mixes & Other Musical Oddities" by William McCoy and Mitchell McGeary, a book that's mostly disorganized but fascinating in it's telling of differences between the various and countless versions of album and discography releases.

I'm definitely looking forward to Lewisohn's three-volume biography. Should be the be-all, end-all, or at least I hope it is. The way Picasso's recently multi-volume biography is mostly relevatory. The same old history, along with unearthed history, told in an completely detailed and fascinating way.

I went to the bookstore today and marveled at all the different Beatles books they have. And it wasn't even an independent bookstore where you are bound to find the good and rare ones. There are so many Beatles out there, with unique and fairly legitimate information, that it's interesting to read in one book what's been left out of another. So many little details.

I bought The Complete Beatles Chronicle for $15 at Strand Annex (which is now defuncted, unfortunately, since it was a lovelier smaller version of the main Strand Bookstore on Broadway and 12th here in NYC). They have Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions for 20 dollars now and I have to pick that up as soon as possible. In the meantime, I borrowed the '88 edition from the library, along with Emerick's book and "Every Little Thing: The Definitive Guide to Beatles Recording Variations, Rare Mixes & Other Musical Oddities" by William McCoy and Mitchell McGeary, a book that's mostly disorganized but fascinating in it's telling of differences between the various and countless versions of album and discography releases.

I'm definitely looking forward to Lewisohn's three-volume biography. Should be the be-all, end-all, or at least I hope it is. The way Picasso's recently multi-volume biography is mostly relevatory. The same old history, along with unearthed history, told in an completely detailed and fascinating way.

I went to the bookstore today and marveled at all the different Beatles books they have. And it wasn't even an independent bookstore where you are bound to find the good and rare ones. There are so many Beatles out there, with unique and fairly legitimate information, that it's interesting to read in one book what's been left out of another. So many little details.

I should have mentioned that option. I often get books by way of the library that are out of print. I think the last one I read was the book about the Apple organization, and/or the Tony Bramwell book. I would like to have The Beatles Gear book. I have read it, but I do not own it.

I don't know how you guys figure out the good Beatles books from the bad. I read a bunch of the Bob Spitz bio thinking it was gospel, before finding out (here) that it's generally regarded as a load of bunk.

I suppose I began reading Beatles books in the mid to late 1970s, and usually just read all the ones I can find. I've often thought that Shout is a good bio type book, but of course, there are hundreds (thousands) of them out there. The Tony Bramwell book is pretty good - for learning about some behind the scenes type history. I have said this before, but the deal with Spitz is that his book is mainly constructed out of Albert Goldman's research files that he left behind. It will be interesting to read Lewisohn's new book, as he is somewhat of an insider.

It could be there are some listed here:

A link to our Rock Books thread.

I think I have read in a few different places that Abbey Road is selling more than the rest.

Lefsetz Letter

3. The Beatles "Abbey Road"

Sales this week: 88,736

Debut

If I could only buy one, this would not be it. Love the second side suite, but it’s their darker, more exploratory stuff that truly resonates. Then again, individual Beatle albums also hold down positions 5, 7, 8, 10, 16, 18, 19, 20, 24, 28, 31, 34 & 45.

We can bitch and say remastered CDs should have been released earlier. Or that there should have been a Blu-Ray component. And that the tracks should be available online. All true, but missing the point.

This is the outlier story. If you want to know why the Beatles are still selling, almost half a century on, read Malcolm Gladwell’s book. The story of the band is one of the best parts of "Outliers". But the bottom line is the band practiced. Hard. They got really fucking good.

And after reading "Outliers", be sure to pick up Daniel Coyle’s "Talent Code", which states that all practice is not alike. Unless you’re challenging yourself, repeating difficult processes again and again, you will make little progress, you’ll never get to the destination. In other words, you can ski every day on the greens, the baby slopes, and you’ll never challenge Bode Miller. But if you stick to the blacks, ski the same run again and again every day until you master it, you’re on your way to becoming a true expert.

The reason the Beatles are selling is not because of nostalgia, but because their music is so fucking good!

People want the singles today, because they’re all that’s worth listening to. The Beatles gave up imaging forty years ago, they released an album with a white cover. They gave up singles years before that, with "Rubber Soul". It’s almost like we’re going in reverse, like Mark Mothersbaugh and Devo were seers. Instead of exploring and growing, we’re stripping away absolutely everything to get the lowest common denominator that appeals to the mass. Whereas the mass used to come to you, now the product has been homogenized not to offend, to grab you right away. But this milk shake ultimately makes you sick, and once you’ve recovered, you’ve forgotten it, you’ve moved on. Whereas we still want the Beatles today.

They sang well, they wrote songs with hooks and they even took chances. Is it any wonder they’re the biggest band of all time?

I think I have read in a few different places that Abbey Road is selling more than the rest.

Lefsetz Letter

It's the only one I have bought yet. You have to figure that everybody already bought the Yellow submarine and Let it be naked disks awhile back. Some of us want mono of anything else but have not got the box yet. That leaves Abbey Road. Of course it's a fantastic album as well...

I love "Good Morning Good Morning"

I always thought this was a hoot:

Lennon asked engineer Geoff Emerick to arrange the animal noises heard at the end of the song so that the animal was capable of devouring or frightening the animal that came before it.