Beatles remasters are here!

Helter Skelter is closer to hard rock, than heavy metal. A fine distinction, but if we're being pedantic about such things...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Paul said they were moved to do that after hearing about some Who song that was suppose to be nasty/heavy. I actually can't really deal with listening to Helter Skelter due to what I think of when I hear the song.

the distortion, the heavy beats, the riffs, the loudness, the sexual innuendo in the lyrics?

i agree with you about the beats being heavy metal - they are too fancy and complicated for punk. but, i still think the rest of it is punk rather than metal myself. it's because i like the mono version - which is more harsh and in your face.

you all have to understand that my situation is the opposite to all of yours. i've grown up listening to the mono ones, and it's the stereo that are the curios to me - that's all just from a personal point of view. i still also think that there is a very strong case, beyond my personal tastes, to the mono being the definitive versions - and the ones that should be readily available, which is why i keep banging on about it. i'd rather people feel how i feel when listening to the mono, than how i feel when listening to the stereo - is that such a crime :ohwell :monkey:monkey

A shitty British amusement ride?

The Manson deal. It's something I was taught as a kid - hence, we were not allowed to listen to that song. It must be some sort of conditioning deal.

Is that ride at some sort of Beatles theme park?

Helter Skelter is one of those songs that could probably be covered somewhat successfully by just about any band. So many people have done it (like most Beatles songs) U2, Husker Du, Motley Crue, G &R, Aerosmith... I do think of it as more a hard rock song than anything.

The "I got blisters" part has become so well known it is strange to hear the song without it for me. I liked Stewie Griffin yelling that after playing banjo in his hillbilly band.

I don't know how common it is - but it's at fairs where ferris wheels and other carnival rides are. It's a tower that you climb up to ride a slide down (the slide winds around the tower) - just like the song lyrics.

it's very common. actually my nephew went on one only the other week. at the top he was nearly crying, saying "i don't want to do it!" - and at the bottom he said, "again, again!". which is kind of like the song really.

i agree with you about the beats being heavy metal - they are too fancy and complicated for punk. but, i still think the rest of it is punk rather than metal myself. it's because i like the mono version - which is more harsh and in your face.

you all have to understand that my situation is the opposite to all of yours. i've grown up listening to the mono ones, and it's the stereo that are the curios to me - that's all just from a personal point of view. i still also think that there is a very strong case, beyond my personal tastes, to the mono being the definitive versions - and the ones that should be readily available, which is why i keep banging on about it. i'd rather people feel how i feel when listening to the mono, than how i feel when listening to the stereo - is that such a crime :ohwell :monkey:monkey

I do understand - and likewise, I don't know of the the mono version - so hearing a Helter Skelter without the Blisters! line would seem strange, and not the "right" version.

I'm keeping my eye out for the mono box set, but haven't had luck yet. Hopefully a Christmas present?

I do understand - and likewise, I don't know of the the mono version - so hearing a Helter Skelter without the Blisters! line would seem strange, and not the "right" version.

I'm keeping my eye out for the mono box set, but haven't had luck yet. Hopefully a Christmas present?

I heard Jeff is going to hand those out to the nice people here for Christmas. For those of use who are bad, he is going to give us the fake stereo versions from the old days.

NP - Helter Skelter mono remaster.

this is ...whoahhhh........NP - Long Long Long mono remaster.

Holy shit.

I take anything I ever said about the mono versions back.

Good God!!

NP - all of the second disc....Me & My Monkey...oh my God!

Good God!!

NP - all of the second disc....Me & My Monkey...oh my God!

I had feelings like that too.

NP - Helter Skelter mono remaster.

this is ...whoahhhh........NP - Long Long Long mono remaster.

Holy shit.

I take anything I ever said about the mono versions back.

Et tu, Brute? I can comfort myself with the fact that my father-in-law purchased the mono set so I will be hearing them soon. I still can't imagine liking them more than the stereo. I just like music in stereo and these remasters sound great.