Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Lennon's vocal as he enters into the refrain of "Rock n Roll Music" is maybe the zenith of Western artistic expression.

They've been showing a thing on Manson on TV lately.

I knew he was a musician and about his ties with Dennis Wilson, but I didn't realize that really the killing was a result of him getting rejected by a record exec - the house that Tate/Polanski lived in was where he dropped off a record executive who never called him back or offered him a deal. Later he moved out and Tate/P moved into that house.

Has anyone heard his music? They played a snippet of one song.

I knew he was a musician and about his ties with Dennis Wilson, but I didn't realize that really the killing was a result of him getting rejected by a record exec - the house that Tate/Polanski lived in was where he dropped off a record executive who never called him back or offered him a deal. Later he moved out and Tate/P moved into that house.

Guns and Roses covered one but I don't even remember it. Can't say I have ever heard his music.

Terry Melcher (son of Doris Day)

The song Look at Your Game, Girl is on The Spaghetti Incident (Guns 'N' Roses). Also, the song Never Learn Not To Love (a Beach Boys song) was originally a Manson song called Cease To Exist.

I have read that the defense attempted to subpoena The Beatles in the Manson trial.

There are websites out there kept by those who follow Manson, and I think various tapes he made are out there to be had.

Supposed to be YouTube link of Hey Bulldog video

woah, what's the story on this?

the other day i was listening to that song and wishing there was some footage of John going crazy at the end.

then i read that the Lady Madonna video was actually them recording Bulldog (John said it didn't matter that they were recording another song), which i saw later on YouTube.

did someone take that footage and re-edit it to synch with HB where it could?

Here's a PDF of Mark Lewisohn's "The Complete Beatles Chronicle", for anyone that wants it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/150795491/CmpltBtlsChrncl.rar

And here's Lewisohn's "The Complete Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970"

http://megaupload.com/?d=XD05Y5P3

(it truly is mind-bogglingly how many incredible noteworthy Beatles books there are out there,

including books on individual Beatles and anything Beatles related. that shit is beyond belief.

i'm slowly going insane trying to find books that are worth purchasing.)

the other day i was listening to that song and wishing there was some footage of John going crazy at the end.

then i read that the Lady Madonna video was actually them recording Bulldog (John said it didn't matter that they were recording another song), which i saw later on YouTube.

I don't know the deal on it - I do recall when I first saw it a couple of years ago there was some brouhaha about it though.

Here's a PDF of Mark Lewisohn's "The Complete Beatles Chronicle", for anyone that wants it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/150795491/CmpltBtlsChrncl.rar

And here's Lewisohn's "The Complete Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970"

http://megaupload.com/?d=XD05Y5P3

(it truly is mind-bogglingly how many incredible noteworthy Beatles books there are out there,

including books on individual Beatles and anything Beatles related. that shit is beyond belief.

i'm slowly going insane trying to find books that are worth purchasing.)

I was surprised that Lewisohn was not involved with writing the liner notes for the remasters. I suppose it was because he's tied up writing his own Beatles book. I have that book the Complete Beatles Chronicle. I haven't read all the way through it, but it's interesting to look through from time to time and has lots of cool archival photos and artifacts.

The video was originally a promo for "Hey Bulldog." But obviously "Lady Madonna" was the single, so they spliced the footage to make it a plausible "Lady Madonna" performance (which they really did look like "Lady Madonna"). Someone found out it was actually the "Hey Bulldog" footage and restored it.

Lucy has gone to the sky, with her diamonds

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26139204-23109,00.html

THE woman who inspired the iconic Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds has died, a charity said.

Lucy O'Donnell was a childhood friend of John Lennon's son Julian, and the song title was inspired by a picture that he had drawn of her at school.

"That's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," Julian explained to his father when he took the picture home.

Many fans believed that the classic 1967 hit, recorded for the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, was a thinly disguised paean of praise for the hallucinogenic drug LSD.

But O'Donnell, a housewife whose married name was Vodden, revealed two years ago that she had in fact been the source.

"I remember Julian and I both doing pictures on a double-sided easel, throwing paint at each other, much to the horror of the classroom attendant," O'Donnell told BBC radio in 2007.

"Julian had painted a picture and on that particular day his father turned up with the chauffeur to pick him up from school."

The St Thomas' Lupus Trust charity said O'Donnell had died aged 46 after losing a fight against the autoimmune disease lupus.

It said Julian and his mother Cynthia, Lennon's first wife, were "shocked and saddened by the loss of Lucy".

"It's so sad that she had finally lost the battle she fought so bravely for so long," the Trust's campaign director Angie Davidson said.

The video was originally a promo for "Hey Bulldog." But obviously "Lady Madonna" was the single, so they spliced the footage to make it a plausible "Lady Madonna" performance (which they really did look like "Lady Madonna"). Someone found out it was actually the "Hey Bulldog" footage and restored it.

That's not how the Emerick book painted it. It was more like they already knew Lady Madonna was their next single and needed a promo so they just filmed them recording a new song which happened to be Hey Bulldog.

OK, so the White Album in mono is just.... wow.

Is it me or is "Don't Pass Me By" at some higher octave? My music knowledge is pretty lame; all I know is that it seems "higher" in mono.

That's not how the Emerick book painted it. It was more like they already knew Lady Madonna was their next single and needed a promo so they just filmed them recording a new song which happened to be Hey Bulldog.

Well, I'm not sure of the real details, but the basics that the "Lady Madonna" visuals of the promo is actually them recording "Hey Bulldog" are the gist of it. I sorta just made part of what I said earlier up. :pirate

Is it me or is "Don't Pass Me By" at some higher octave? My music knowledge is pretty lame; all I know is that it seems "higher" in mono.

Mono "Don't Pass Me By" is a half-step higher. I'm guessing this had to do with some shenanigans with speeding/slowing tape playback (which was messed with based on stereo vs. mono) which results in the different pitches you hear.

Ok. The father-in-law bought the stereo box instead of the mono. So I've put a down payment on a mono box set at my local indie store. After reading many articles on mono vrs. stereo and hearing the extreme separation on some of the stereo mixes from the stereo box, I've come to the conclusion that one should really own both. I just broke the news to the wife this morning and there were no tears. I don't know if that means she's ok with it or that she's leaving me :lol Anyway, I should have it around mid to late October. I hope it's worth it.

a recent review on Amazon pointed out several of the differences on the Mono White - the biggest is the dropping of the "blisters on me fingers" bit.

Ok. The father-in-law bought the stereo box instead of the mono. So I've put a down payment on a mono box set at my local indie store. After reading many articles on mono vrs. stereo and hearing the extreme separation on some of the stereo mixes from the stereo box, I've come to the conclusion that one should really own both. I just broke the news to the wife this morning and there where no tears. I don't know if that means she's ok with it or that she's leaving me :lol Anyway, I should have it around mid to late October. I hope it's worth it.

I have been hinting what a wonderful Christmas or Birthday gift the Mono box would be but my wife just got me a ten game nuggets package so I don't think I'm getting it. Time to figure out a new plan...

I honestly didn't hear that many differences between the mono and stereo versions of the White Album besides the differences that have already been mentioned. I did think the sound was remarkable compared to the original cd releases. Long Long Long sounds amazingly beautiful remastered.

I have come to realize how much of Harrison's output with the Beatles makes up my favorite Beatle tunes. I have thought about checking out more of George's solo stuff.

Interestingly, Revolution #9 becomes way more listenable in mono. I listened all the way through when at the office -- it became white noise as opposed to stick knitting needles in your ears bad.