What the best seats you had for a concert?

Hey I once in awhile get lucky with tickets. List any shows you have seen with the first 10 rows for a seated show...

I have seen Beck/Flaming Lips at the Beacon 1st row. Ears were bleeding!

Aimee Mann 1st Row Shea Auditorium Wayne, NJ

Medeski Martin and Wood 1st Row Shea Auditorium Wayne, NJ

Sigur Ros 1st Row Beacon

Trey Anastasio 1st Row PNC Holmdel, NJ

U2 2nd row side stage right next to the Edge! First Union Center Philly

Eels at Town Hall 4th Row

Travis 4th Row Beacon

Kiss 4th row Bryce Jordan State College, PA

REM 6th row 2 times Jones Beach, Mohegan Sun Arena

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Row - John McLaughlin Trio

4th Row - The Who - The Kids Are Alright Tour

8th Row - Wilco AGIB tour

3rd Row - Pearl Jam (I think this was their tour for Vitalogy) - I sold these to a ticket broker and used the money to go see the Grateful Dead for two nights in Ohio. I feel dirty about that on several levels.

I used to know a husband/wife team that were bouncers for the stage front area at the Rosemont Horizon. All I had to do was get down close enough to get their attention and we had a protected space IN FRONT of the front row. I saw Rush, Triumph, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and the Firm that way. There were others that I cant recall right now. It was awesome watching Jimmy Page from 5 feet away.

If we're talking about large venues (hockey halls, sheds, etc):

David Bowie 1990 - front row

Allman Bros. 1990 - front row

literally dozens of others in the first 5-10 rows.

Wilco - front row (right in front of Jeff w/ no security or photography row in between) :wub

Wilco - 5th row Nels/Jeff side

Jeff solo - 6th row center

Wilco - 8th row center

Wilco - GA ended up about 3rd row-ish Nels/Jeff side

Does onstage count? :unsure Honestly I wouldn't call onstage good seats. The sound sucks. I think the sound generally sucks in the first few rows too.

I agree on both counts. I was on stage for Wilco/Sheryl Crow at red rocks in 1997 (i think it was, maybe '98) and had a nice view of their backs, basically.

I've always liked general admission shows in order to find sweet spots where the sound is great and I'm not physically mashed up against other humans. I can't take that. Generally, right behind the soundboard is always a perfect spot for me.

I've been so blessed to have wonderful concert buddies over the years.(I'm not so good in crowds). Most recently I got a message from one of "the gardeners" at 8 a.m. on the day that Allison Krauss and Robert Plant played in the Golden Gate Park at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. It went something like this "I woke up, as usual, at 6 a.m. today and said to myself 'what would the best use of my time be?' I decided to go down to the park and lay down a tarp with some erosion staples :lol if the tarp is still there this afternoon we will call you"

At 2p.m. the message was "the tarp is still there come join us" so there Jason and I were 15 feet from Robert Plant, TBone Burnett and Allison Krauss. Goddess bless the gardners :cheekkiss .

And a shout out to Renic who totally helped us out with balcony seats that were sublime at the Winter Residency :thumbup

At shows in smaller venues that are general admission, I have often been what would be akin to first, second, third row. I have had 2nd through 5th rows several times for various reserved shows. The best tickets that I have ever had were in Jacksonville this past August for Wilco. My wife and I were front row right next to the speakers and Nels. We totally dug being so close and were transfixed with Nels but it was so goddamned loud that the last 5 songs or so were unenjoyable musically. Our poor little cilia were beaten down. It was a sonic mess.

I have been that close in club/bar type venues, even for Wilco, and it was never such an onslaught of decibels as that night. If I had known, I would have sold those tickets and kept the 10th row seats that I sold. At the time we were fanboy and fangirl giddy about scoring row A that we didn't think logically. :lol

In my 13 years of seeing Wilco, I have never had a bad seat/stand.

Robert Plant - 1st row center, Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI, circa 1983 or 1984. (Not seated, however)

Wilco, 5th row (in the orchestra pit), Fox Theatre, Detroit, 17 Oct 2007

Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young, 2nd row center, Palace of Auburn Hills, MI, 31 Aug 2006

Jayhawks, 1st row center, State Theatre, Kalamazoo, 1993

Neko Case, general admission -- seated about ten feet to her right, Blind Pig, Ann Arbor, sometime just before Blacklisted was released.

Bruce Springsteen (solo), 1st row far left, Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo, 1995

Richard Thompson, 4th row(?) left of center, The Ark, Ann Arbor, circa 2001

...plus lots of other shows at The Ark. That place is awesome.

That's all I can remember right now, as far as seated shows. I had to mention the Plant show because that was my first big rawk show.

Wilco @ Toronto (twice), London, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Montreal - front row dead centre four times (this is standing of course, RUSH THE STAGE) the couple other seating shows I've been in the first five rows, so I really haven't had bad seats for Wilco yet

Neil Young @ Massey Hall, Toronto - first row, first balcony dead, centre

Bob Dylan @ Essar Centre, Sault Ste. Marie- front row dead centre

Ryan Adams @ Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor - 5th row

There's probably a billion other shows but those are the biggest and most memorable, I've never actually had shit seats for any concert I've ever been to, quite lucky I guess.

P-Funk first row

Wilco 7th row

P-Funk was a great show to be in the first row. We didn't actually have tickets. It was a theatre with members where the front row is for season ticket holders. Most didn't show for P-Funk and our friend's father was working security, so we got to sit there, They have a guy in their group who guys out in the audience, and he partied with us all night.

All I can think of but there's been more.

Wilco @ Toronto (twice), London, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Montreal - front row dead centre four times (this is standing of course, RUSH THE STAGE) the couple other seating shows I've been in the first five rows, so I really haven't had bad seats for Wilco yet

Neil Young @ Massey Hall, Toronto - first row, first balcony dead, centre

Bob Dylan @ Essar Centre, Sault Ste. Marie- front row dead centre

Ryan Adams @ Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor - 5th row

There's probably a billion other shows but those are the biggest and most memorable, I've never actually had shit seats for any concert I've ever been to, quite lucky I guess.

I had the last possible seat for Bruce At Giants Stadium. Section 332? Row 32...you haven't expierenced concerts until you have the worst seat in the house. It actually provides an interesting vantage point. I recommend it once just for a change in perspective. It does make you appreciate good seats though when you get them.

Wilco just about every time they have played in Iowa in the last 8 years, in the first 5 people in the center. In Denver both nights about the same.

Phish at IT about 10 people back dead center.

The Flaming Lips this summer about 4 back center.

Bright eyes in denver about 10 rows back.

I do not attend giant concerts so getting close to like Of Montreal or the National or the Hush Sound is not to hard.

Wilco - 2nd row, all the way on Pat's side, though. Couldn't hear Nels a lot but Pat's side is just as good.

Fleet Foxes - 8 rows back? It was all GA.

Flaming Lips - In the pit. I think that's the only place to be to fully enjoy a Lips show.

Glenn Kotche/Nels Cline - Like, 3rd row, dead center. All GA, but still.

Jens Lekman - 8th row?, dead center. Ditto, all GA.

About all the good spots I've had.

For seated, non-GA shows, I've had all of my closest seats this year:

First row behind the pit on the right for Wilco in Wilmington

Fifth row center for Wilco at Tanglewood (presale :thumbup )

Sixth row right for Bob Dylan & His Band outside of Rochester in August

First row center for Andrew Bird here in Ithaca a few weeks ago

Second row left for Ryan Adams & the Cardinals in Syracuse

For GA shows, I was second row for Bob Dylan a few years ago, and probably third or fourth row for Willie Nelson the last time I saw him. I think I made it about the third row the first time I saw Ratdog, probably about 8 years ago at Penn's Landing in Philly. This year I was front row for all three Wilco shows in St. Louis, in front of Nels for two nights and in front of Jeff for one. I started out in the second row when I saw Evangelista in Montreal in June, but I was in front by the end. I don't think I've ever seen the Nels Cline Singers from farther back than the third row.

Several GA shows, I've been AT the stage.

In fact, when I met Louie and Wendy (and found out about this place), it was at an invite-only Steve Earle show and we were all leaning on the center of the front of the stage.

Front row for a solo Beck show at Fort Apache Studios in Cambridge on a Saturday morning, Odelay-era.

Awesome! I saw him at the Sessions at West 54th Show last show of the Odelay tour. I was maybe 5th row but there was only 5 rows...He was on fire that tour!!! He play anything wacky at that show. At the sessions show he played Asshole , Rowboat and Ramshackle which weren't aired....they all sounded awesome!