Now Playing: November 2008

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if there's one band post '00 that i just do not GET whatsoever... it's Animal Collective

there's a few songs i've enjoyed here or there, but on the whole i usually just get angry/annoyed whenever i listen to their stuff.

funny thing is, i LOVE Panda Bear (esp Person Pitch)

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the fact that I even think Person Pitch is overrated save for 3 or 4 exceptional songs.

if there's one band post '00 that i just do not GET whatsoever... it's Animal Collective

there's a few songs i've enjoyed here or there, but on the whole i usually just get angry/annoyed whenever i listen to their stuff.

funny thing is, i LOVE Panda Bear (esp Person Pitch)

have you heard the new stuff? brothersport couldn't ever make anyone angry.

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the fact that I even think Person Pitch is overrated save for 3 or 4 exceptional songs.

PP is overrated, but i still love enough of it to consider it a great record

and i've heard 2 songs off the new one so far, neither really changed my opinion, but i wasn't annoyed by them at least...

k01518bysvf.jpg

Paste is calling this the album of the year. It's a nice album but 'album of the year'?

Paste has kinda lost their way as of late...

i don't even know if it'll be in my top 20 and i'm a pretty huge M. Ward fanboy. it's a "pleasant" but not great album

see... now i just couldn't get that into the first 2 albums save for 4-5 songs on each record. i didn't really care for the whole orchestral/string-based stuff, not when it comes to hip hop at least. i love that he embraced the 80's and techno on Graduation. plus you've got insane hooks like Champion, Stronger, Good Morning, Can't Tell me Nothin', Good Life, etc., i loved all but 2 songs on that record.

as for this new one... after a bunch of listens last night (after that initial akward first listen, i'm LOVING about 2/3 of 808's... yes the auto-tune can be annoying at times, but there's other times when Kanye sings without it and actually sounds fine, so i'm not sure why he felt the need to use it SO much.

Paranoid & Robocop are fucking awesome.

Yeah, this album is really fucking good. God damnit, I was really hoping it wouldn't be.

I think since Bonnaroo and that whole mess I've been trying to convince myself that he's not as talented as he is. I really wanted this album to be bad, and it just isn't. I just find him to be ridiculously talented, and it's a shame he's such a douchebag.

f35011er0ap.jpgl74555p1e9h.jpg

f59553mqvyf.jpgc02706ei165.jpg

Weezer - Weezer (blue)

Relatively Clean Rivers - Relatively Clean Rivers

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

Blur - Parklife

And, now in the queue:

Jay Bennett - Whatever Happened, I Apologize

WarrenZevon.jpg

Nice to have a 2-disc edition of this great record :).

and i've heard 2 songs off the new one so far, neither really changed my opinion, but i wasn't annoyed by them at least...

What are the two songs you've heard? If either of them are Brother Sport or Bluish then I don't think they could ever switch you on.

What is it that doesn't appeal and that you don't rate? I know quite a few people who hate them and the constant reason given is that they sound too childish, in a hyperactive toddler way.

the constant reason given is that they sound too childish, in a hyperactive toddler way.

i thought that was the good thing about them. although, that is kind of what you think about joanna newsom's voice - the childish, all over the place thing - isn't it? i personally don't hear anything childish about animal collective now (maybe in the past), but personally i think they are making the most sophisticated sounding music at the moment - in terms of what they are doing with harmonies, and production etc...

np/ graham nash - songs for beginners

What are the two songs you've heard? If either of them are Brother Sport or Bluish then I don't think they could ever switch you on.

What is it that doesn't appeal and that you don't rate? I know quite a few people who hate them and the constant reason given is that they sound too childish, in a hyperactive toddler way.

well... when you folks claiming they are the Radiohead of the 00's, it's pretty hard to take those types of comments seriously.

i dunno... people site their great melodies all the time, but many of the supposed great melodies just grate on me, and musically i don't really think they're all that inventive in the grand scheme.

they're not a bad band, i just don't get the hype whatsoever, more than any band in the last 5 years

well... when you folks claiming they are the Radiohead of the 00's, it's pretty hard to take those types of comments seriously.

i dunno... people site their great melodies all the time, but many of the supposed great melodies just grate on me, and musically i don't really think they're all that inventive in the grand scheme.

they're not a bad band, i just don't get the hype whatsoever, more than any band in the last 5 years

they're definately not the radiohead of the 00's - that wouldn't be such a nice thing to say at all.

i thought that was the good thing about them. although, that is kind of what you think about joanna newsom's voice - the childish, all over the place thing - isn't it? i personally don't hear anything childish about animal collective now (maybe in the past), but personally i think they are making the most sophisticated sounding music at the moment - in terms of what they are doing with harmonies, and production etc...

np/ graham nash - songs for beginners

My dislike of Joanna is partially to do with that. Not childish so much, but that fact that she posseses a voice that I struggle to find convincing. I find it contrived and, yes, childlike - think, Bonnie Langford.

The feeling I get from speaking to others that causes so much concern about AC is that they're both amorphous and juvenile, in that it just refuses to to sit still: vocally and melodically it's prone to spasmodic eruptions and tangential whimsy.

And that's the stuff I like because rather than be tossed together, or be the product of dicking around, I find Animal Collective endlessly exciting and inventive.

In fact the thing I like listening to most by them is boot of the Amsterdam gig.

NP: Animal Collective : Amsterdam Melkweg Oct 07

when you folks claiming they are the Radiohead of the 00's, it's pretty hard to take those types of comments seriously.

I've certainly not claimed that, I wouldn't use Radiohead as fair comparison anyway, or indeed a good barometer of taste.

Infact the only lauding I've done is say that I like their music and think their new album will be something special.

i think people tend to give more weight to miserable music, like being happy is not such an important emotion artistically. which is why radiohead were seen as better than super furry animals for example, who in my view made better, more inventitive, music during that same period, but were not given such critical props (i can't believe i typed props). animal collective make music to be happy to, and you can dance to it - those things must count for something surely?!

and you're still wrong about joanna newsom, even though you're right about animal collective.

I've never been able to get into AC or Panda Bear despite the fact that when i read reviews of their stuff, it always sounds like something I would love. But I just don't get it. There are a few moments from Person Pitch that I like, but feel often that it doesn't know where to quit. They could use a bit more self-editing for me. Odd coming from a fan of the GD and Phish. :lol

ETA: I love SFA and think they don't get the "props" they deserve, but I would have a hard time arguing they are MORE inventive or better than Radiohead.