Now Playing: November 2008

animal collective make music to be happy to, and you can dance to it - those things must count for something surely?!

You're right. But I don't subscribe to animal collective making purely happy music: have you heard some of Avey Tare's lyrics? The music might be fun stuff, but some of his words are like bittersweet Grimm Fairy tales.

Edit: Anyone from England using the word "props" should have their head pinned on a spike at Traitor's Gate. And made to wear a pair of British Kinights trainers.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenny Omichord - Duets for Children, Their Parents, and other People too.

There is a really pretty new Tony Dekker song 'Do You Know Karate?' on this thing.

This was the album that almost never got released with the Arcade Fire guy's lawyers blocking the released after it was all burnt, packaged and then dropped from Weewerk records.

It got released minus the one AF song by Label Fantastic, a record label sooo small it doesn't have a website.

You're right. But I don't subscribe to animal collective making purely happy music: have you heard some of Avey Tare's lyrics? The music might be fun stuff, but some of his words are like bittersweet Grimm Fairy tales.

i don't really take much notice of lyrics, really by anyone that much (not even bob dylan - gasp!) - i notice when words don't fit with the music, or are silly, but that's all. i do think you can kind of have unhappy lyrics with happy music though, and the overall effect is one of happiness. i wouldn't say they make happy music out of choice so much - they're not steps - it's just i feel happy listening to them - just in terms of a simple thing like smiling when a melodic motif appears. as opposed to feeling sad at any time, regarding any specific thing they do.

I've certainly not claimed that, I wouldn't use Radiohead as fair comparison anyway, or indeed a good barometer of taste.

Infact the only lauding I've done is say that I like their music and think their new album will be something special.

that was supposed to be "when you HAVE folks", not referring to anyone on here :)

ETA: I love SFA and think they don't get the "props" they deserve, but I would have a hard time arguing they are MORE inventive or better than Radiohead.

i can't really think of anything that original that radiohead have ever really done - they make good music, and always have, but nothing to put them head and shoulders above sfa (and they have influenced a whole bunch of shit - which can't be said for sfa). maybe super furry animals haven't done anything truly original either, musically - although i personally think mixing dance/techno elements into their music, especially on guerrilla was new. just from album to album they've experimented with their sound and been successful doing so - not so much so for radiohead, although they've definately not sat still either (don't get me wrong).

np. nirvana - the story of simon simopath

i can't really think of anything that original that radiohead have ever really done - they make good music, and always have, but nothing to put them head and shoulders above sfa (and they have influenced a whole bunch of shit - which can't be said for sfa). maybe super furry animals haven't done anything truly original either, musically - although i personally think mixing dance/techno elements into their music, especially on guerrilla was new. just from album to album they've experimented with their sound and been successful doing so - not so much so for radiohead, although they've definately not sat still either (don't get me wrong).

np. nirvana - the story of simon simopath

Yeah I think your bias may be showing.:P Stuff that Radiohead has done probably doesn't sound all that original now precisely because they have been such a huge influence that everyone has adopted elements of their sound. Again, I love SFA. We actually flew to Austin earlier this year just to see SFA because that was as close to CO as they were coming. And I think they HAVE been inventive, maybe just as inventive as RH, but not more so.

414wrQPM9CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

d81012f1w44.jpgg43512a339a.jpg

e67848y4z1m.jpgf64628hog8i.jpg

Rockpile - Seconds Of Pleasure

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

Ashtray Boy - The Honeymoon Suite

The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs