• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crickey! i've been pronouncing it BON (like bon jovi) EYE (like the thing you see stuff with) and VUR (like an chinaman saying fur).

Similar to that, but I'd pronounced your EYE bit just like the 'e' in 'email'. Maybe because I thought the title was a play on 'en hiver', and our French teacher taught us to say 'en hiver' (or 'in winter') that way.

Or maybe it's because I'm a Londoner? Which I'm not.

Similar to that, but I'd pronounced your EYE bit just like the 'e' in 'email'. Maybe because I thought the title was a play on 'en hiver', and our French teacher taught us to say 'en hiver' (or 'in winter') that way.

Or maybe it's because I'm a Londoner? Which I'm not.

i like how you say "e" as in "email" as opposed to just saying i pronounce it "E" - or am i saying the "e" in "email" wrong too, now?

i like how you say "e" as in "email" as opposed to just saying i pronounce it "E" - or am i saying the "e" in "email" wrong too, now?

We have long and short vowels in America. It's a melting pot.

Here's a link to a Folk/Americana top ten I did for my newspaper chain. I'd love it if you guys would take a look.

Awesome to see the Sera Cahoone record on your list. I can't believe how overlooked that record has been on "best ofs" this year!

e

Yes - excellent list. Gonna break down and buy the BPB - finally.

It's really really solid. I wouldn't go as far as the Dallas Observer did - it's certainly no "I See a Darkness" - but it's a really nice, diverse set of tunes, and his voice has never sounded better. It's also worth noting that "So Everyone" was one of my favorite tracks of the year.

I usually have a better feel for a year in music a few years after it's happened where have had a longer to sit with all of the records and find anything I missed. I think my 2006 list is now officially good to go, but at gun point I am not still not sure I could put Joanna Newsom, Califone, Midlake and Grizzly Bear in order. Anyway with that being said here's my attempt at a list.

1.) Fleet Foxes: self-titled

2.) Sun Kil Moon: April

3.) Bonnie "Prince" Billy: Lay Down In The Light

4.) Grouper: Dragging a Dead Dear Up The Hill

5.) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

6.) Brian Eno and David Byrne: Everything That Will Happen Will Happen Today

7.) Beach House: Devotion

8.) Plants and Animals: Parc Avenue

9.) Jon Brion: Synecdoche, NY soundtrack

10.) Hush Arbors: self-titled.

A note on Bon Iver: For Emma was number two in 2007 behind Hotel Alexis' Goliath, I'm On Your Side, it would be number four behind BPB for me this year. A lot of gems this year, but I have yet to find the true year defining masterpiece for me yet. I am sure it's out there and I just haven't heard it yet.

--Mike

This comment was just left on the list I linked to above. I am feeling fairly cool at the moment...

"Jolie Holland says:

Dear Noah, I wanted to thank you for listening to my record, and I wanted to say what an honor it is to be in such good company on your list. First thing I noticed was the reference to Jimmy Dale Gilmore's great song which I just covered recently--I'd love to send you a copy--if you write me an email I'll send it to you. It feels uncanny to see your list because Matt Bauer and Sam Amidon are both friends of mine. Sam just came on tour with me and he's my new favorite fiddler in the world. I'm also friends with M Ward, tho I haven't known him very long. And I'm a huge fan of Will Oldham. (And I hear he listens to my music a lot.) Both Sam and Will's records were made with strong input by Shahzad Ismaily, who produced my record...so Shahzad is on 3 of the records on your list! Horse Feathers are friends of friends in Portland...It felt like somebody was writing about my circle of friends and heros here. And I just wanted to say hey. Take good care. Be well. jolie "

This comment was just left on the list I linked to above. I am feeling fairly cool at the moment...

"Jolie Holland says:

Dear Noah, I wanted to thank you for listening to my record, and I wanted to say what an honor it is to be in such good company on your list. First thing I noticed was the reference to Jimmy Dale Gilmore's great song which I just covered recently--I'd love to send you a copy--if you write me an email I'll send it to you. It feels uncanny to see your list because Matt Bauer and Sam Amidon are both friends of mine. Sam just came on tour with me and he's my new favorite fiddler in the world. I'm also friends with M Ward, tho I haven't known him very long. And I'm a huge fan of Will Oldham. (And I hear he listens to my music a lot.) Both Sam and Will's records were made with strong input by Shahzad Ismaily, who produced my record...so Shahzad is on 3 of the records on your list! Horse Feathers are friends of friends in Portland...It felt like somebody was writing about my circle of friends and heros here. And I just wanted to say hey. Take good care. Be well. jolie "

Reason #10,004 why the internet is a cool thing.

"Jolie Holland says:

so awesome :worship