Jeff Tweedy - Friday, Feb. 13 @ The Vic

Really? That totally ruined your night?

I'll give you a break being from Florida and assume you do not read well. Did I not say "I had a blast"?

Next time Wilco plays Florida ( :rotfl ) . Let me know your seat number and I'll bring my crappy little Canon Chinese turd, sit directly in front of you, and procede to block your view with my superior filming skills (holding camera above head staring at LCD).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first JT show at the Vic and I had a blast. Great show, fun crowd, EXCEPT all the junior film-makers with their most annoying cheap digital cameras and cell phones shooting video. I found this most annoying and find it even more annoying to see this behavior being rewarded here on VC. I sat behind an idiot who shot several songs wth his camera in video mode.

Nothing like paying $100 for a seat, waiting for 2 hours in freezing temps, only to have an obstructed view seat. The obstruction : the LCD on the camera belonging to the hipster dufus sitting in front of you.

:frusty

I'm sorry he ruined your night. Where were you sitting? I, for the record, was in the balcony and i was conscious of obstructing someone else's view, and i made sure i held my camera directly in front of my body and made sure to not stand up when people were sitting down, except for standing ovations, etc, to prevent such a thing from happening.

*Admin note: Videos have been removed because the band does not allow videotaping.

thanks for posting the vids! they're quite lovely.

btw, i thought Fake Plastic Trees is a Radiohead song. im confused. i don't wanna listen to it as im now one of those people who are depraving themselves of new Wilco until the record comes out.

thanks for posting the vids! they're quite lovely.

btw, i thought Fake Plastic Trees is a Radiohead song. im confused. i don't wanna listen to it as im now one of those people who are depraving themselves of new Wilco until the record comes out.

You are correct. Fake Plastic Trees is a Radiohead song. Jeff played it at the "7 Worlds Collide" shows not too long ago, with 2 members of Radiohead, and it's been played at almost every solo show this year since then. It's a terrific version! I'm a big Radiohead fan too, so one can only imagine how i felt when i first heard him play this.

This was my first JT show at the Vic and I had a blast. Great show, fun crowd, EXCEPT all the junior film-makers with their most annoying cheap digital cameras and cell phones shooting video. I found this most annoying and find it even more annoying to see this behavior being rewarded here on VC. I sat behind an idiot who shot several songs wth his camera in video mode.

Nothing like paying $100 for a seat, waiting for 2 hours in freezing temps, only to have an obstructed view seat. The obstruction : the LCD on the camera belonging to the hipster dufus sitting in front of you.

I can understand what you mean about people and their cameras. When I shoot stills or video I hold the camera as close to my body as I can and make sure that it's in front of me so as not to ruin the view of anyone behind me. I'm always very conscious of the people around me. I sat both nights with people I didn't know who waited all day in line for the show. None of them seemed to be bothered by what I was doing and I offered to pass on what I took and we exchanged e-mails and they seemed very happy. That is all.

I agree with you - particularity when people are not suppose to be "video taping" Wilco/Jeff Tweedy shows to begin with.

I find it a bit odd that sometimes people post a link to a video in a thread and it gets removed, and other times, it does not.

I agree with you - particularity when people are not suppose to be "video taping" Wilco/Jeff Tweedy shows to begin with.

I find it a bit odd that sometimes people post a link to a video in a thread and it gets removed, and other times, it does not.

I agree it is a weird dynamic, especially the weird "target lights" that kept being thrown up on jeff's face. I took about 8 pix each night, but felt very weird doing it. I took off the flash and covered up the target light. Jeff noted on the 2nd night to a guy, sitting dead center, first row, to put the camera away. He'd been literally taking viedo and pictures the entire time.

I'll give you a break being from Florida and assume you do not read well. Did I not say "I had a blast"?

Next time Wilco plays Florida ( :rotfl ) . Let me know your seat number and I'll bring my crappy little Canon Chinese turd, sit directly in front of you, and procede to block your view with my superior filming skills (holding camera above head staring at LCD).

So it did ruin your night. I'm sorry.

I love your sense of entitlement.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

I too am not a fan of all the pics and filming. It takes away from the experience a bit for me, especially at a solo show like that. But wow, you're an ass.

Anyway, I had more of a problem with the guys in front of me yelling out requests the whole time at a show where Jeff clearly stated that all the requests were taken before hand. They pretty much shut up after Jeff told them they could get there at 2 the next day to requests songs for that show. The one dude was for sure not happy that he'd been ridiculed by Jeff Tweedy. It sort of made my night.

I can understand what you mean about people and their cameras. When I shoot stills or video I hold the camera as close to my body as I can and make sure that it's in front of me so as not to ruin the view of anyone behind me. I'm always very conscious of the people around me. I sat both nights with people I didn't know who waited all day in line for the show. None of them seemed to be bothered by what I was doing and I offered to pass on what I took and we exchanged e-mails and they seemed very happy. That is all.

On Friday, were you in the second row of the first non-gold section? Kinda left of center, dark toboggan, beard?

On Friday, were you in the second row of the first non-gold section? Kinda left of center, dark toboggan, beard?

Yes, did I bother you? I very much hope not. My intention is always to pass stuff along to those who couldn't be there. If I took anything away from anyone's time I would feel very bad.

Yeah, while I'm extremely pleased to be able to experience the night's stories and highlights through these videos (I've happily watched several of them, thanks for that), I do think it is a bit much to record and post two thirds of the setlist. What's special about the Living Room Shows and these more expensive benefit shows is that it is a unique show that Jeff does not do very often, and is meant to be a "different" kind of experience for those who generously donate their money. I don't know what the rules were for bringing cameras/video cameras into the shows, but this just seems like a little bit of an encroachment on the kindness of the band to let fans take photos and make sound recordings freely. Usually a clip of a song or two is fine, but it just seems to me that (and I feel like this has been an issue in the past..) Jeff/the band may have a problem with over 20 whole songs being recorded on video without permission. Again, I'm no expert on the issue, this is just based on past experience..but I think the general rule of thumb is to keep the recording to a minimum unless you've had permission from someone to shoot the show :thumbup

On another note, was so disappointed I had to miss out on these this year :( Great setlists and sounds like an amazing time all around. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Sorry to be a wet blanket, folks, but I have to repeat our oft-stated rule that videos of this type are not to be posted on Via Chicago. As the band has always said, they do not allow or condone the videotaping of shows, and if people do so, it could result in the banning of all taping and cameras from shows in the future. Please respect the policy.

Thanks,

The Management :thumbup

Yeah, while I'm extremely pleased to be able to experience the night's stories and highlights through these videos (I've happily watched several of them, thanks for that), I do think it is a bit much to record and post two thirds of the setlist. What's special about the Living Room Shows and these more expensive benefit shows is that it is a unique show that Jeff does not do very often, and is meant to be a "different" kind of experience for those who generously donate their money. I don't know what the rules were for bringing cameras/video cameras into the shows, but this just seems like a little bit of an encroachment on the kindness of the band to let fans take photos and make sound recordings freely. Usually a clip of a song or two is fine, but it just seems to me that (and I feel like this has been an issue in the past..) Jeff/the band may have a problem with over 20 whole songs being recorded on video without permission. Again, I'm no expert on the issue, this is just based on past experience..but I think the general rule of thumb is to keep the recording to a minimum unless you've had permission from someone to shoot the show :thumbup

On another note, was so disappointed I had to miss out on these this year :( Great setlists and sounds like an amazing time all around. Thanks for sharing everyone!

I have watched a few, no denying that. But, I am not really interested in videos of shows. I am however, interested in the AUD sound tapes of shows. A year or so ago, I had a few Wilco shows, now I have over 50 dvds of archived shows. I actually work on finding, announcing, and archiving Wilco shows every day. So that is where my passion lies. When something comes about that may ruin our ability to get AUD tapes of shows, I get a bit nervous. If one looks at the banned band list on Dime A Dozen, one can see that we have it pretty good.

"Nothing like paying $100 for a seat, waiting for 2 hours in freezing temps, only to have an obstructed view seat. The obstruction : the LCD on the camera belonging to the hipster dufus sitting in front of you. "

damn that sucks on multiple levels but mostly the 2 hour wait in freezing temps

I wandered in at 715 and ended up with four seats together on stage left side in the 2nd row behind the 250 dollar section

cant wait until this show gets posted

I have watched a few, no denying that. But, I am not really interested in videos of shows. I am however, interested in the AUD sound tapes of shows. A year or so ago, I had a few Wilco shows, now I have over 50 dvds of archived shows. I actually work on finding, announcing, and archiving Wilco shows every day. So that is where my passion lies. When something comes about that may ruin our ability to get AUD tapes of shows, I get a bit nervous. If one looks at the banned band list on Dime A Dozen, one can see that we have it pretty good.

I'm able to download the torrents and play each tune individually but cant make a cd or send it over to my itunes,they just into my computer somewhere.Can you offer any help?

I'm able to download the torrents and play each tune individually but cant make a cd or send it over to my itunes,they just into my computer somewhere.Can you offer any help?

First, you have to convert the files from FLAC to Mp3 - I don't own an iPod, so I don't really know much about them or itunes. Check out these links:

How to convert - an FAQ from The Owl and Bear

Bit Torrent and Related Links

Also - if you do a search on the word convert in the Just A Fan or In a Future Age sections, you will probably find multiple threads about how to convert files.

Are they FLAC's? Maybe you were able to play them with WinAmp or something similar. You will need to convert them to wav's (and maybe mp3's; I don't use iTunes) using FLAC Frontend. Google it, it will come right up. Free download.

hey does anyone know if theres a torrent anywhere for this show. i loved it so much i wanna listen to it again. i saw some mics out in the crowd. and the sound guy was recording it onto his computer.

So have I just been using the wrong lingo? This is exactly what I am looking for. I was hoping to have the audio from the show. I asked someone who was taping behind me (I was the clueless one on the padded bench in if you are out there) and he directed me to this site.

I guess it boils down to me not knowing what a "torrent" is but me wanting to have the show available so I could listen to it whenever I want.

Thanks

There is a subforum on this site that is dedicated exclusively to downloads of shows, and where to find them: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showforum=29

Also in that area, you'll find tutorials on how to download, convert, etc., plus lots of friendly people who are willing to answer any related questions. :yes

In general, we ask folks to wait a week before asking about the show's availability. It's usually not just a question of taping it and then popping it onto a site for us all to download. Most of the tapers will spend some time slicing it into tracks (at the very least), equalizing sound, correcting any blips, etc. (yes, I'm all about the technical terms...). It may take less time than that, or it may take more, but that's the rule of thumb. :thumbup