New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great as in I really enjoy listening to it great. Then again, I've listened to it only a few times and I wasn't concentrating on where it would fit in my top 100 Wilco songs.

I'm also not sure how one person's opinion on the relative "standout-ness" of one song that we might not have even heard the final version of means anything in terms of what to expect from this album.

Plus, I could give two shits where it would rank on your list. The only list that matters is mine.

fair enough. i just asked a simple question, no need to get your panties in a wad.

i guess i reserve the word great for only a smaller amount of things :cheers. as in i'd probably say Wilco has like 30-40 truly GREAT songs, after that i'd probably settle for pretty good to good ;)

honestly i was a bit bummed the song even made the record myself, so for someone (granted it's Rolling Stone) to call it a standout, kind of boggles my mind a bit, but i'll take that comment with a giant grain of salt, considering it's source.

fair enough. i just asked a simple question, no need to get your panties in a wad.

i guess i reserve the word great for only a smaller amount of things :cheers. as in i'd probably say Wilco has like 30-40 truly GREAT songs, after that i'd probably settle for pretty good to good ;)

honestly i was a bit bummed the song even made the record myself, so for someone (granted it's Rolling Stone) to call it a standout, kind of boggles my mind a bit, but i'll take that comment with a giant grain of salt, considering it's source.

Still might not make the record, right? I mean, June is a few months away, and there isn't an official track listing yet.

I agree that the song is fun, but doesn't seem like album material.

honestly i was a bit bummed the song even made the record myself

Me too. Granted, I haven't heard a finished version. But it seems like the trend of throwing a song that doesn't fit the tone of the album at all right in the middle will continue. Previous examples: HMD, I'm A Wheel, Hate it Here. But hey, they can do whatever they want.

Still might not make the record, right? I mean, June is a few months away, and there isn't an official track listing yet.

I agree that the song is fun, but doesn't seem like album material.

oh, it's gonna be on the album.

Me too. Granted, I haven't heard a finished version. But it seems like the trend of throwing a song that doesn't fit the tone of the album at all right in the middle will continue. Previous examples: HMD, I'm A Wheel, Hate it Here. But hey, they can do whatever they want.

100% OTM.

i'd have picked those 3 examples perfectly. we're like the same person! :wub

Four different versions, spaced two songs apart.

the last of which ends with Jeff screaming WILCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOO WILLOVEEEYOUUUU WILCOOOOOO WILLLOOOOOOOOOVEYOU for 17 minutes

How does Hate It Here not fit in with the tone of SBS?

tone-wise, sure... lyrically? :stunned

sorry, just never liked that song and I agree with Daniel it seems to fit Wilco (or just Jeff maybe?)'s idea of having one big dumb rocker on every record as of late.

i'm fine with having fun with songs, but all of those songs with the exception of maybe HMD would have been better served as b-sides imo.

Guest Jules
tone-wise, sure... lyrically? :stunned

sorry, just never liked that song and I agree with Daniel it seems to fit Wilco (or just Jeff maybe?)'s idea of having one big dumb rocker on every record as of late.

i'm fine with having fun with songs, but all of those songs with the exception of maybe HMD would have been better served as b-sides imo.

Gotcha.

JULES! This is what I was talking about...... now you know I'm not crazy.

:thumbup

JULES! This is what I was talking about...... now you know I'm not crazy.

eh, i'm not writing off the album or anything, i was partially kidding

but the fact that someone would call that song a "standout" on any Wilco record, without it having changed insanely since the Colbert version, does kind of make my head spin, that's all

Hmmm...they haven't had a self-titled album yet...

am i the only one who is kind of annoyed when bands put out self titled records on like their 9th album or whatever? :unsure

just seems like they couldn't decide on anything so they gave up.

eh, i'm not writing off the album or anything, i was partially kidding

but the fact that someone would call that song a "standout" on any Wilco record, without it having changed insanely since the Colbert version, does kind of make my head spin, that's all

Is it just the self-referential lyrics, though? Because I don't think I would classify it as a big, dumb rocker musically.

Aaah...it doesn't matter...I'm just grumpy today.

am i the only one who is kind of annoyed when bands put out self titled records on like their 9th album or whatever? :unsure

Agreed.

Is it just the self-referential lyrics, though? Because I don't think I would classify it as a big, dumb rocker musically.

Aaah...it doesn't matter...I'm just grumpy today.

i dunno... i mean when they surprised us all by playing a 100% brand new and unheard of song on national Television, that excited me.

and considering the title and lyrics, it seemed to fit the tone of the Colbert Report to me in it's goofy-sense. i honestly thought it was something that lyrically Jeff wrote specifically for the show in a total joking/tongue in cheek kind of way.

i find it hard to consider "Wilco, the Song" more than a throwaway song, but, who knows, maybe the album version will be interesting. the version i heard on Colbert just sounds like some theme song to a sitcom. not that crazy about Sunny Feeling either. One Wing is great though. those are the only three new songs i've heard.

The only example I can think of right now is Pearl Jam, which I think could be seen as a retreat to basics or to reestablish themselves after the relative failures of Binaural and Riot Act.

Actually, I get more annoyed at just naming an album after a song than a self-titled album.

Maybe "standout" like a soar thumb?

I am not worried about this album. It will probably rule.

Yeah, I think the word "standout" is the only thing that I can find worrisome in the description of the next record (though a guitar sounding like a flute can be really cool or really lame; putting my faith in Nels).