Late Night Driving Playlist

I sometimes save new albums to listen to when I'm driving home from an out-of-town show. I listen pretty well then.

If I'm sleepy, first I stop and get coffee and then I have to put on something that I can't help but sing to, which used to be Fruit Bats until I got really tired of it ( :( ) and now it is Harry Nilsson. I've got at least a dozen of his discs on my iPod, so the songs never repeat. Great staying-awake music.

However, if I'm not in the mood for Harry Nilsson, I will put my iPod on random and play "name that tune" with myself. It's amazing how much I have on there I've never even heard. I'm way behind on new album listening.

Sorry, I realize this is not a playlist, but it is what I do when I drive late at night.

Man, dreamy music is the LAST thing I'd want for late night driving.

We've got to drive a total of 20 hours (minimum if traffic and the weather cooperate) between 5:00 PM this Friday and 5:00 PM this coming Sunday. So I will be following this thread intently.

Here's a quick 10:

Are You A Hypnotist - The Flaming Lips

Gideon - My Morning Jacket (Okonokos Version is best)

See No Evil - Television

Massive Nights - The Hold Steady

Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen

101 - Albert Hammond Jr.

Trashcan - Delta Spirit

Death To Los Capesinos - Los Capesinos

Shangri-La - The Kinks

Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

Grateful Dead. On any long drive, at any time of the day or night. Grateful Dead.

Sorry that I can't be more help. :stunned

If you are by yourself, something you can sing along with loudly (and know the words).

I like Pink Floyd "Animals" for that reason. I know every word.

Physical Graffiti is good too.

anyone got any good songs for late night drives?

Radar Love

"The Sound Of Music" - The Bonzo Dog Band

(seriously)

Or, anything by the Bonzos, actually.

It'll keep you awake because you'll be laughing so hard.

Judas Priest - "Heading Out To the Highway"

C'mon... you know you gotta have some Priest on there!

And maybe even

Deep Purple - "Highway Star"!!!

Delirium Cordia by Fantomas is perfect for late night driving.

The music could be described as the score to a horror movie and/or concept album centering on the theme of surgery without anesthesia. The album consists of a single track that runs for 74 minutes and 17 seconds.

Several music genres and styles are covered over the course of the album, including easy listening, chanting, Drone, and metal, generally being separated by ambience and sounds and voices in a surgical setting. There are no lyrics or song structures as such as one would traditionally expect; the band instead focuses on atmosphere and the creation of suspense through the use of eerie noises, wordless vocals, and sudden, jarring changes in volume and intensity. Approximately the last 20 minutes of the track consist of the sound of a turntable stylus stuck in the runout groove of a record. The track then ends abruptly, with the sound of someone counting in a fast tempo, followed immediately by the stylus sliding across a record's surface.

The Flaming Lips are getting some love, which reminds me of their Late Night Tales compilation. Wayne Coyne selected songs that he likes, and that he thought were fitting songs for late night. I love the vibe of it.... I pretty much recommend the whole song list:

1. Bjork – Unravel

2. Miles Davis – My Ship

3. Chris Bell – Speed Of Sound

4. Faust – It's A Bit of A Pain

5. Roxy Music – 2HB

6. Alfie – People

7. Aphex Twin – Film

8. Mice Parade – Galileo

9. The Chameleons – Up The Down Escalator

10. The Flaming Lips – Seven Nation Army (Harry Potter’s and George W. Bush’s Severed Head Arm Mix)

11. The Chemical Brothers – Playground For A Wedgeless Firm

12. Love & Rockets – Saudade

13. Lush – Monochrome

14. Psychedelic Furs – Sleep Comes Down

15. Nick Drake – River Man

16. Sebadoh – On Fire

17. Radiohead – Pyramid Song

18. 10cc – I’m Not In Love

19. Brian Eno – Another Green World

• 6 months later...