Street cred is totally overrated. As far as zzzz music goes, James Taylor is way up there on the list...just look at some video of him performing. Those heavy eyelids! He even puts himself to sleep! :guitar :yawn

Well then, I raise you a John Denver.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a recording of north woods nature stuff........birds chirping, rain falling, wind blowing thru the trees....thankfully, theres none of the new age crapola tossed in to "improve" the natural sounds....

I like this stuff,m too. I like the New Age crap as well, though.

I got a cd once from the library that I thought was a sounds of nature deal. I went to bed that night and put it on and the wife and I were all settled in with the lights out when it started off with barking dogs then shotgun blasts and doors slamming and stuff. Turns out it was a sound effects cd.

Try Thursday Afternoon or Music for Airports by Brian Eno. THAT is some really, really mellow music in the "ambient" genre.

I'd also recommend The Pearl by Harold Budd/Brian Eno - minimal and gorgeous (it's got cricket sounds, too)

also:

Lambchop Is a Woman

I like this stuff,m too. I like the New Age crap as well, though.

I got a cd once from the library that I thought was a sounds of nature deal. I went to bed that night and put it on and the wife and I were all settled in with the lights out when it started off with barking dogs then shotgun blasts and doors slamming and stuff. Turns out it was a sound effects cd.

heh!

The "natural sounds" of where I used to live in West Philadelphia.

Joe Jackson - Night Music

I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business (self titled)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Steely Dan - pretty much any of them...

Those often make my ipod list for long overnight flights. +1 for Useless Creatures.

Well then, I raise you a John Denver.
Joni Mitchell (who isn't so bad, really. John Denver has his place too. I'm too nice.)

There is a good bit of good "quiet music" on the Andrew Bird bonus CD "Useless Creatures."
And Glenn is there!

Try some Iron & Wine, or Great Lake Swimmers.

When I want quiet music I don't want lyrics (generally). Unless it's golf on t.v. I could listen to those cats whisper all day.

G'damn dude......I'm starting to think we were replicated from the same batch of DNA or something........I'm not a golfer at all.......yet I find golf on TV to be wonderful background noise while I putter about the house....you got whispery guys babbling incoherently, birds chirping, sometimes some breeezy noises going on........oh yeah, good stuff.