BLENDER MAGAZINE

For some reason I got Blender in the mail last week. The thing said I have a subscription through 2012. I had never heard of the magazine prior to then and have no idea how the subscription showed up. The same thing is happening with Spin also. Spin sucks though, so there is no way I would have subscribed.

For some reason I got Blender in the mail last week. The thing said I have a subscription through 2012. I had never heard of the magazine prior to then and have no idea how the subscription showed up. The same thing is happening with Spin also. Spin sucks though, so there is no way I would have subscribed.

Whoa, thats weird. My dad has Spin showing up in his mail too, and I can assure you he definitely didnt subscribe. I wonder whats going on....

I got Entertainment Weekly for about a year recently the same way. It just kept showing up

Whoa, thats weird. My dad has Spin showing up in his mail too, and I can assure you he definitely didnt subscribe. I wonder whats going on....

I know for Bonnaroo if you bought tickets early you got a free Spin subscription.

Maxim started showing up at my house a couple years ago. Talk about a shitty magazine, Bijou Phillips photos notwithstanding.

I think it's pretty common if you have a subscription to one magazine to start getting free issues of other magazines from the same parent company. The rationale is that you will eventually feel guilty and pay for a subscription. This is related to what my college journalism teacher said was called "Tilforbid"...in which whatever magazine you subscribe to keeps sending you magazines after your sub runs out until you forbid them to send you any more. Even if you don't break down and renew out of guilt, the magazine gets to claim higher circulation numbers, making the magazine more attractive to advertisers.

At least you all got half way decent magazines randomly showing up at your house. Just last month Martha Stewart's Living started showing up in my mailbox. I'll trade someone for their Spin magazines!

At least you all got half way decent magazines randomly showing up at your house. Just last month Martha Stewart's Living started showing up in my mailbox. I'll trade someone for their Spin magazines!

I can top that. I just recently started get Us Weekly in the mail and had to call them to ask them to stop sending the magazine. I haven't read Martha Stewart's Living but I imagine it's got to be better than Us Weekly.

On the plus side, I've been getting Spin, Blender and Rolling Stone for free for a while now and as much as people put down those magazines I usually find something worth reading in them in between all the fluff.

I've never read Blender, got Spin for a while (randomly), as well as Cosmo and Marie Claire. Which was kind of weird.

:lol

Blender wasn't very good. I did like how they put a lyric or quote from somebody who recently died on the spine of each issue, though.

I started getting Blender after ordering some Wilco stuff off of MusicToday.

Me too. Thought it was weird. Probably musictoday, not wilco.

I get this and Rolling Stone for free.

Despite what people say, I've found Rolling Stone to be really good recently.

I got mine by way of spending a bunch of money at Amazon.com. I have a collection of Spin magazines, including the first two issues. I have not bought an issue of Spin for a long time.

i liked when byron coley did the Underground column for Spin...some excellent stuff there.

btw, i think that sometimes you get free mag subs when you buy tickets via ticketmaster...i think i got half a year of RS that way once...i'd never willingly spend $ on that mag.