Now Playing: April, 2009

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hollee shit. Of the many many discs I've heard of the basement tapes, this is easily the best.

Clouds so swift

Rain won't lift

Gate won't close

Railings froze

listening to it now. it sounds absolutely great. garth hudsons mad organ parts are incredible - you can't even really hear hm much on the official release. thanks.

it does? :unsure

I think there are maybe 3 songs on this record that hold up with their other stuff. I just think the over the top background singing and flute and other noises just seem like add ons so they wouldn't be criticized for sameness like they got around Magic Potion (which is my personal favorite) The production just seem non essential, like cheap add ons.

I think there are maybe 3 songs on this record that hold up with their other stuff. I just think the over the top background singing and flute and other noises just seem like add ons so they wouldn't be criticized for sameness like they got around Magic Potion (which is my personal favorite) The production just seem non essential, like cheap add ons.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I think it's a strong album start to finish.

Now Playing:

51SQRVGAJBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

With the exception of the Jethro Tull like flute, I couldn't disagree with you more on Attack & Release. Although I'm not as harsh on Magic Potion as most on this board, I find it to be my 3rd or 4th favorite of theirs.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I think it's a strong album start to finish.

yup

i'm with everyone else here. i love attack & release. probably my fave black keys album yet. (and no, it's not the first one i heard)

YUP

listening to it now. it sounds absolutely great. garth hudsons mad organ parts are incredible - you can't even really hear hm much on the official release. thanks.

I would love to get my hands on this. :D

I can't find any info on how to get a legit copy. Is it released yet?

With the exception of the Jethro Tull like flute, I couldn't disagree with you more on Attack & Release. Although I'm not as harsh on Magic Potion as most on this board, I find it to be my 3rd or 4th favorite of theirs.

yup

YUP

I loved Magic Potion because I thought it was the perfect embodiment of who this band is. Raw and dirty with massive riffs and guts. Nothing overtly attractive, just naked rawness. Attack & Release just seems to add unncessary dressing that takes a down and out American sounding band and trys to take them to the city on a fancy date? I'm going to lose this argument but that is cool.

Attack & Release is easily my fave BK record (the first one i heard was their debut btw) and my least favorite is EASILY Magic Potion. besides Your Touch and 2-3 other songs, that album is just bordering on dull comparatively.

I'd rank 'em:

Attack & Release

Rubber Factory (although it's awfully close)

The Big Come Up

Thickfreakness

Magic Potion

the thing with Attack & Release is, it showed me that they're not a one trick pony like so many reviewers & critics claimed they were by their 3rd record. it was still very much a Black Keys record but they tweaked the formula just enough to keep it fresh sounding.

and make no mistake, not all of those "noises" and decisions were Dangermouse's work....