• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So looking at Samardzija's numbers (1.46 WHIP, 4.26 ERA in the minors, low strikeout numbers and not great control.), can anyone tell me why exactly he's such a highly rated prospect?

So looking at Samardzija's numbers (1.46 WHIP, 4.26 ERA in the minors, low strikeout numbers and not great control.), can anyone tell me why exactly he's such a highly rated prospect?

It has to do with his successful (read: low ERA) stint in the majors in 2008, but it also has to do with the fact that he played football at nearby Notre Dame. So far as I can tell.

Edit:

I guess the Cubs have always been high on him because he throws hard. They gave him a lot of money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2736354

Guest Jules
They've got Samardzija starting, they're not going to break him from the AAA rotation to make a middle reliever out of him this early. But thus far Cotts sucks.
Actually, they might do just that.

ahem

I think the Motown media can stop using the word "ace" associated in any way with Justin Verlander.

I think Justin's problem is that he's trying to throw too hard. He should relax and max out in the lower 90s. His pitches seem to flatten out when he guns it in the upper 90s. He's got all the tools to be an ace...

Yeah, because the batting average for balls in play is almost .400 and is most often around .300 over the course of the year for most pitchers.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playe...7&type=full

velly intellesting...

So that's saying that we shouldn't expect his BABIP to remain that high? One of the articles linked to your link said that the hits against him have come in bunches, which can't be expected to continue.

I heard that the Cubs were DFAing Vizcaino instead of Cotts to bring up Smardizja or however you spell his name.

yep, to bad though I liked Vizcaino.

Smaradijza came in and gave up two runs today. so not so good.

And the Mehts are pretty bad. Fire Omar!

Yeah, Verlander's peripherals are all pretty good and even were decent last year when he seemed to suck so bad, so I'm actually not too worried about him.

The Tigers offense has actually underperformed for the most part, other than Cabrera, who is playing out of his mind, and Inge, who will come back to earth soon. If the pitching holds up I think they have a shot to contend this year, especially considering how weak the division is.