Greatest Guitarists of All Time

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quantifying who is the "best" is an impossible thing to do considering all of the different styles and peoples opinions and tastes in music.

So for me the "best" would be who I enjoy listening to the most, which in and of itself is a very fluid thing. Yet the ones I tend to enjoy listening to the majority of the time would be (in no particular order):

Marc Ford - Solo he is phenomenal, but watching him live with the Crowes gives me chills at times.

David Gilmour - He just has the touch.

Joe Bonamassa - White boy blues at it's best. The solo in his live version of "If Heartaches were Nickels" is still one of my favorite solo's of all time.

Duane Allman - Changed slide guitar forever

John Frusciante - Everybody says he is just ripping of Hendrix (what guitar player isn't), but he actually has a bluesy quality to his tone.

John Mayer - Say what you want about the pop, arrogant asshole, bullshit, the dude can play guitar.

*Honorable mention to Robert Randolph, Tom Morello, and Slash.

You mean after the oyster discussion?

I note they talk about how much work the "equipment" requires and how much sorting out and how they had already been years at it. And "you can get lost behind it."

I'm not much of a Pink Floyd fan, but it seems to me the dude has talent. I think that is an interesting comment though - if it is just the gear, then get up there and do it.

I suppose for me, it is always the British Blues players: Beck, Green, Page, etc. Although, there are of course some American dudes as well - Hendrix, Santana, SRV, Allman, etc.

I'm not much of a Pink Floyd fan, but it seems to me the dude has talent. I think that is an interesting comment though - if it is just the gear, then get up there and do it.

I suppose for me, it is always the British Blues players: Beck, Green, Page, etc. Although, there are of course some American dudes as well - Hendrix, Santana, SRV, Allman, etc.

For me, guitarists come in all shapes sizes, styles. You can't go wrong focusing on the blues artists of the 60s and 70s. Amplification certainly shaped their sound. But it was their artistry on the strings, laid across the fretboard that was the focus, as it is for those guitarists with and without amplification.

Another bad baseball analogy to try to make my point. David Gilmore is to the guitar as Gaylord Perry is to pitching. There are all sorts of pitchers, speed pitchers, control, students of the game who win by guile, but all of them apply fingers to stitches and throw the ball. Gaylord doctors the ball. He won a lot of games, does he belong in the HoF? Many say yes, some say no.

David Gilmore is a great guitarist, in his own category, and Pink Floyd is a great band. The thread subject is greatest guitarist of all time, and I can frankly make a case for dozens of guitarists that mastered fingers against wire and ebony or rosewood.

I can see your point. I am not that crazy about a lot of effect pedals to begin with. It can be overdone, I mean to say.

Personally, I am partial to the sound of the original wah-wah and fuzzface, and some of things that Jimi used.

I suppose I name those dudes as that is really the music I prefer, and have mostly listened to since I was a kid.

Speaking of guitar players and effect pedals - the fist member of Wilco I ever talked to was Nels. I asked him a question about one of his pedals.

Like anything else, pedals can be a tool or a crutch. I know when I'm floundering on something I can kick on the delay or wah pedal and "hide" a little bit. I know I'm not fooling anyone though. Somebody like Adrian Belew takes it to the extreme, making elephant noises and stuff. There is a side of me that loves that type of thing. What is impressive about someone like Jerry Garcia is he has such a clean sound and style. There is no hiding behind big soaring sustain or anything. He hits a clunker you are going to know about it.

There are very few guitarists I don't like in some way. Seems like most of them that get to a professional level bring something new to the game.

please forgive my crankiness, but these threads always drive me crazy. just curious if anyone mentioned chris whitley's LIVE work. never seen anything like it in my life.

Like anything else, pedals can be a tool or a crutch. I know when I'm floundering on something I can kick on the delay or wah pedal and "hide" a little bit. I know I'm not fooling anyone though. Somebody like Adrian Belew takes it to the extreme, making elephant noises and stuff. There is a side of me that loves that type of thing. What is impressive about someone like Jerry Garcia is he has such a clean sound and style. There is no hiding behind big soaring sustain or anything. He hits a clunker you are going to know about it.

There are very few guitarists I don't like in some way. Seems like most of them that get to a professional level bring something new to the game.

Very well put, Moss. I concur.

You mean after the oyster discussion?

I note they talk about how much work the "equipment" requires and how much sorting out and how they had already been years at it. And "you can get lost behind it."

They were talking about the equipment they created which pioneered how we see live shows (Azimuth coordinator). Note the references to live shows.

Another bad baseball analogy to try to make my point. David Gilmore is to the guitar as Gaylord Perry is to pitching. There are all sorts of pitchers, speed pitchers, control, students of the game who win by guile, but all of them apply fingers to stitches and throw the ball. Gaylord doctors the ball. He won a lot of games, does he belong in the HoF? Many say yes, some say no.

David Gilmore is a great guitarist, in his own category, and Pink Floyd is a great band. The thread subject is greatest guitarist of all time, and I can frankly make a case for dozens of guitarists that mastered fingers against wire and ebony or rosewood.

This is really strange stuff. When Pink Floyd reunited at Live 8 and stole the show, what was doctored? Watch this from the five minute mark on and let me know how this 60+ YO guitar player doctored this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bjXbx4zyUg

That moment right there in the thick smoke at 6:00, where he hit's that high note is one of the many reasons why the all time Fender poll has him at #1.

And to put it simply isn't a guitarist the sum of all his parts and how he uses them? Right hand, left hand, instrument, amps effects thier education, experience and their mind?

I've played guitar for 30+ years. I wish I was better than good. But I have a day job and I realize the time, focus, concentration, manual dexterity, ear, study of theory -- all that is required to master the instrument itself. Amplification opened a range of what is possible, and a range of ways to master it. But it all comes back to fingers on strings, pressure against fretboard.

David Gilmour (thanks for correx!) is a great guitar player. The wealth of the instrument is demonstrated in the range of names listed above. Plenty of familiar and unfamiliar talents, styles and approaches to explore.

I've always thought the guy in Camper Van Beethoven was/is a fantastic guitarist. His playing on Key Lime Pie is so supportive of the songs, and does not fall into the typical trap of scale patterns or other guitaristic exercises.

Jorma Kaukonen deserves to be in this thread.

I've always thought the guy in Camper Van Beethoven was/is a fantastic guitarist. His playing on Key Lime Pie is so supportive of the songs, and does not fall into the typical trap of scale patterns or other guitaristic exercises.

Jorma Kaukonen deserves to be in this thread.

Check out Monks of Doom, too!!

Greg Lisher! and Chris Pedersen is a fantastic drummer too.

Check out Monks of Doom, too!!

I have done. I saw them live once (opening for King Missile, of all things). They were great. I have two of their records, one I really like (Meridian) and the other I don't like as much (The Cosmodemonic Telegraph Company...on that one, Lisher does sort of fall into the guitar exercises trap I mentioned earlier).

I have done. I saw them live once (opening for King Missile, of all things). They were great. I have two of their records, one I really like (Meridian) and the other I don't like as much (The Cosmodemonic Telegraph Company...on that one, Lisher does sort of fall into the guitar exercises trap I mentioned earlier).

_breakfast on the beach of deception_ kinda spans those two..._The Insect God_ is also pretty good.

i didn't like Lisher's solo record at all.

some of my favorites in no order are

jimi hendrix

eric clapton

m. ward

robert randolph

john frusciante

mike mccready

david gilmour

stevie ray vaughn

george harrison

nels cline

pete townshend (has he even been mentioned yet?)

_breakfast on the beach of deception_ kinda spans those two..._The Insect God_ is also pretty good.

i didn't like Lisher's solo record at all.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know Lisher did a solo record.

GILMOUR

not

GILMORE

now i feel better.

Gary Gilmore could shred, dude! If he hadn't of accidentally shot himself in the hand, he would've been one of the greats.