• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no particular order:

JERRY

Steve Howe

FRANK

Robert Fripp

TREY

I have to think that Hendrix is a given, so this will be my top 5 not named Jimi Hendrix:

Robert Quine

Richard Lloyd

Brian May

Ira Kaplan

Richard Thompson

Others I love:

Elliott Easton (The Cars), Chris Difford (Squeeze), Tom Verlaine

Also, please note that these are my top 5 FAVORITES. It's a subjective thing and not open to argument.

That's a great list! I wouldn't thought to have included Quine since he's really sideman, but his work with Reed is great and Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" is exactly what good guitar-oriented pop-rock should. Quine's work is melodic, yet still so blistering. And RT, geez, he's ahead of Hendrix in my list.

A few others... Bob Mould from Zen Arcade through his work with Sugar, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Willie Nelson

David Gilmour

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

Syd Barrett

Jeff Beck

Jerry Garcia

Keith Richards

Bo Diddley

Eddie Van Halen

Angus Young

Robert Johnson

Chuck Berry

Robert Fripp

Dickey Betts

Neil Young

Joe Walsh

I was always partial to Robbie Robertson. His lines are so melodic and song-serving that you almost don't notice it when he takes lead.

I also love Sterling Morrison and George Harrison for the same reason.

That's a great list! I wouldn't thought to have included Quine since he's really sideman, but his work with Reed is great and Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" is exactly what good guitar-oriented pop-rock should. Quine's work is melodic, yet still so blistering. And RT, geez, he's ahead of Hendrix in my list.

A few others... Bob Mould from Zen Arcade through his work with Sugar, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Willie Nelson

I was about to come back and mention Adrian Belew. Great call on Willie, too.

Oh, and looking back at the old list, it reminded me that another monster (who never seems to get mentioned) is:

Dave Gregory (XTC)

Peter Green was amazing back in the day. Some of those early Fleetwood Mac records are great. (Oh Well, Green Manalishi, Albatros etc). M. Ward's plays some lovely guitar at the moment. I don't know much about technical ability, but M. Ward sounds good to me.

Others I love:

Chris Difford (Squeeze)

Also, please note that these are my top 5 FAVORITES. It's a subjective thing and not open to argument.

PopTodd, I fully believe that there is nothing to critique about subjective taste, but are you sure you mean chris difford? I mean, you aren't going to find a bigger Squeeze fan than me, but Chris Difford is neither a particularly good guitar player, nor does he really do anything on guitar other than provide backing rhythm guitar. Now, playing rhythm guitar on any tune penned by Glenn Tilbrook is no easy feat (the guy squeezes more f*cking chords into a song (no pun intended)), but are you sure you don't mean Tilbrook? Tilbrook wrote the music to all those tunes, and was the guy that carried those tunes musically (at least from a guitar perspective). Difford basically wrote the lyrics, sang the harmonies, and looked uncomfortable with a guitar. That was his role.

And no, I am not sorry to hijack this thread. This is more important than the 72nd thread about the greatest guitarists of all time.

PopTodd, I fully believe that there is nothing to critique about subjective taste, but are you sure you mean chris difford? I mean, you aren't going to find a bigger Squeeze fan than me, but Chris Difford is neither a particularly good guitar player, nor does he really do anything on guitar other than provide backing rhythm guitar. Now, playing rhythm guitar on any tune penned by Glenn Tilbrook is no easy feat (the guy squeezes more f*cking chords into a song (no pun intended)), but are you sure you don't mean Tilbrook? Tilbrook wrote the music to all those tunes, and was the guy that carried those tunes musically (at least from a guitar perspective). Difford basically wrote the lyrics, sang the harmonies, and looked uncomfortable with a guitar. That was his role.

And no, I am not sorry to hijack this thread. This is more important than the 72nd thread about the greatest guitarists of all time.

Who played the leads on those classic Squeeze songs? Maybe it was Tillbrook; probably was.

But yeah, listen to a lead on "Is That Love?"

That is one hell of a solo. And there are other examples, as well.

CLARENCE WHITE!!!!!

This is the correct answer. Just listen to his live recordings with The Byrds.

Oh, and looking back at the old list, it reminded me that another monster (who never seems to get mentioned) is:

Dave Gregory (XTC)

Good call. Technically proficient, seems like he'd be the ultimate recording session secret weapon. He used to have a website, guitargonauts.com that had all the albums he's played on. He did a fair amount of work on Peter Gabriel solo records.

Andy Partridge I would also consider a great guitarist. He's got a definite style and while not always on lead, he can spruce up a track with some inventive playing.

How much do you weigh? :hmm

two fat ladies window shop

something for the mantelpiece

Who played the leads on those classic Squeeze songs? Maybe it was Tillbrook; probably was.

But yeah, listen to a lead on "Is That Love?"

That is one hell of a solo. And there are other examples, as well.

Yeah, it's Tillbrook.

Pulling Mussels, Another Nail, etc. Perfect guitar solos. And I agree with you. :)

And, did anyone mention Johnny Marr (The Smiths)?

Not only a great guitarist, but highly influential as a textural player a la The Edge. Only more technically proficient.

Watt, Baiza and Nels performing a 4-man version of Watt's first opera:

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3QCtISN9k

Yeah, I saw that one. Good grief...ridiculous.

Here's the one that really won me over to Joe Baiza. This performance is just incredible. Watt's head almost explodes when he sings the last line:

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=08CBg7JyVPs&...feature=related

Buckethead is pretty damn amazing. I had never really listened to him much until I saw this on demand special.. He was just playing in his back yard... completely melted my face off.

I will second David Gilmore

And, don't forget Wes Montgomery