Greatest Guitarists of All Time

I was listening to Pink Floyd the other day and it sort of reinforced my opinion that if you stripped away David Gilmore's effects pedals and volume, he'd be a bloody boring, one-string-bending ancestor to The Edge.

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth after reading this...

The guy has so much feeling, soul, emotion in his playing that no one else can match.. He may like to bend notes, but no one can bend notes and make them sound like David Gilmore... He's one of the few players in the world that you can identify by only hearing a few notes.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy has so much feeling, soul, emotion in his playing that no one else can match.. He may like to bend notes, but no one can bend notes and make them sound like David Gilmore... He's one of the few players in the world that you can identify by only hearing a few notes.

I feel what you're saying but I debate whether the feeling, soul, emotion would have an outlet without the volume and sustain it brings, and the effects that give the limited depth of style some variation.

EDIT: Oh, and go brush your teeth!

I feel what you're saying but I debate whether the feeling, soul, emotion would have an outlet without the volume and sustain it brings, and the effects that give the limited depth of style some variation.

The volume and sustain is cool! And the only effects he really uses is a little delay and chorus.. That's pretty standard for most lead players. He just makes it sound like there are more effects - he's that good. :)

Yeah absolutely crazy. Gilmour is known for quite a few distinct styles too.

Limited depth? Gilmour is known for several major sounds, more so than most other guitarists.

:

1. Obviously his amazing solo ability - the best ever in the business other than Hendrix, Garcia and Betts.

2. His incredible steel guitar playing - he crafted that device into a giant wall of sound. See "One of These Days"

3. An otherworldly string effect which he had passed to him by Syd Barrett and which was copied numerous times.

4. The staccato guitar sound which was later picked up by U2. See "Run Like Hell" and the re-emergence portion of "Echoes".

When you then factor in Gilmour's ability to craft a vocal melody, well........

Gilmour aslo finished #1 in the Fender Greatest Players poll, which had a huge sample size.

Yeah absolutely crazy. Gilmour is known for quite a few distinct styles too.

Limited depth? Gilmour is known for several major sounds, more so than most other guitarists.

:

1. Obviously his amazing solo ability - the best ever in the business other than Hendrix, Garcia and Betts.

2. His incredible steel guitar playing - he crafted that device into a giant wall of sound. See "One of These Days"

3. An otherworldly string effect which he had passed to him by Syd Barrett and which was copied numerous times.

4. The staccato guitar sound which was later picked up by U2. See "Run Like Hell" and the re-emergence portion of "Echoes".

When you then factor in Gilmour's ability to craft a vocal melody, well........

Calling my crazy is off-topic (and frankly old news)!

2-4 are all done with effects or in the studio. #4 is a preset on my Pod board (plugging a mic into it is fun for tape loopy goodness).

He takes the tools and does some amazing things with it. You're convinced and I understand that. Anything I've heard him do acoustically is pretty elementary.

I wouldn't call Edge a great guitar player,. He has deep pockets and all the latest and greatest toys. It doesn't make him a superhero.

Calling my crazy is off-topic (and frankly old news)!

2-4 are all done with effects or in the studio. #4 is a preset on my Pod board (plugging a mic into it is fun for tape loopy goodness).

Well there wasn't a pod board in the 60's and 70's, was there?

Also, as for "in the studio only":

That example showcases Gilmour's otherworldly string effect (from about 5:45 on) and his experimental use of effects on a live platform.

He takes the tools and does some amazing things with it. You're convinced and I understand that. Anything I've heard him do acoustically is pretty elementary.

Acoustic *should* sound elementary or you end up sounding like a douchebag head bopping picker who plays at the entrances of Dave Matthews concerts for tips. Less is more. I take it you have never heard "A Pillow of Winds" or "Fearless" from Meddle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33j2b3cLE0

Well there wasn't a pod board in the 60's and 70's, was there?

Well the Pod is a cheater, which allows you to have dozens of pedal effects at the ready.

That example showcases Gilmour's otherworldly string effect (from about 5:45 on) and his experimental use of effects on a live platform.

Acoustic *should* sound elementary or you end up sounding like a douchebag head bopping picker who plays at the entrances of Dave Matthews concerts for tips. Less is more. I take it you have never heard "A Pillow of Winds" or "Fearless" from Meddle?

They sound -- and are -- pretty straightforward finger picking pieces. Pedestrian.

Gilmore -- and the band -- have done great things sonically with the effects and recording techniques. Your talent doesn't have to run deep with that sort of arsenal -- a saucer full of secrets if you will.

I just don't consider that he should find his way into the upper echelon of guitarists. I think that should be reserved for those who make craft of technique, range and depth of the instrument.

Yes, he may not have crafted the modern electric guitar sound like Hendrix did, or brought blues guitar to a whole new level like SRV did, or practically invented the Jazz guitar sound like Wes Montgomery did, but he's an incredible guitar player that is/was in a great band, that has a style of his own that has brought me close to tears like no other guitar player can.. Yes, it's a matter of personal opinion whether you think a guitarist is great or not, but I don't think I'm alone in my views, and as John Smith stated, this is the first I have heard of anyone stating that David Gilmore isn't one of the greatest of all time.. Therefore as far as I'm concerned he belongs on the list. :thumbup

Yes, he may not have crafted the modern electric guitar sound like Hendrix did, or brought blues guitar to a whole new level like SRV did, or practically invented the Jazz guitar sound like Wes Montgomery did, but he's an incredible guitar player that is/was in a great band, that has a style of his own that has brought me close to tears like no other guitar player can.. Yes, it's a matter of personal opinion whether you think a guitarist is great or not, but I don't think I'm alone in my views, and as John Smith stated, this is the first I have heard of anyone stating that David Gilmore isn't one of the greatest of all time..

I respect your views, and I know I'm not alone in this opinion. It was like trying to come up with the top 20 albums last summer. There's just too many of them, so your overriding decisions have to be personal ones. I respect David Gilmore greatly. I'll buy you a drink someday and you can convince me!

I'll buy you a drink someday and you can convince me!

Sounds like a plan.. :thumbup

Another great one, but probably not one of the greatest of all time, Joe Santiago of The Pixies.

He's quite underrated actually, but he's another one of those guitarists that can easily be identified after a few notes. And I don't think I've ever heard him bend a note.. How he can sound so great and unique without doing this, amazes me. :lol

This is a moot thread. The greatest guitarist of all time is so good, you won't ever know.

I'm not pooh-poohing him. The sounds he and the band create are astounding. I just don't consider that he should find his way into the upper echelon of guitarists. I think that should be reserved for those who make craft of technique, range and depth of the instrument. The thread name (and the previous ones along with it) refer to "guitarist" not "recordist" or "guitar technician." As many names as have been bandied about this list and others, I would consider at least a few dozen more valid -- and allowed to stew on it could unearth a couple dozen more.

Look one of my favorite baseball players of all time was Don Kessinger. He's not in the hall of fame, and there are hundreds of players and dozens of shortstops that are -- and appropriately so -- but I still admire what he's done.

I was just curious if there is other discussion elswhere on the topic or if this notion is home grown? I think it would be interesting to read about it if soemone has previoulsy written about it. I find the topic very interesting.

Besides, what guirtarists since the invention of the first electronic effect have not used them? Not too many play straight to the amp with nothing in between. It seems to me like that is at the heart of it...or is it?

Kessinger - loved him, best SS the Cubs have had during my lifetime or rather during my awareness of baseball because I think Banks may have played SS for a year or two after my birth.

And I don't think I've ever heard him bend a note.. How he can sound so great and unique without doing this, amazes me. :lol

You have to be pretty frickin fast, or at least innovative up and down the neck.

This is a moot thread. The greatest guitarist of all time is so good, you won't ever know.

Of course. Shut off the light when you close the thread?

donald 'buck dharma' roeser [blue oyster cult]- crafts the finest solos ever...listen to 'last days of may' and tell me i'm wrong

jon mcgeoch [magazine, siouxsie/banshees, public image] - woefully underrated player...best of the 80s? maybe.

john fahey - singlehandedly created the new primitive america genre. amazingly skillful, and not afraid to do new things.

marc ribot [tom waits, elvis costello, robert plant, john zorn, solo] - master of all styles, incredibly skilled wrt to melody and emotion.

thurston moore/lee renaldo [sonic youth] - impossible to credit one and not the other...revolutionized the way guitars are used and abused, or at least brought those methods to a larger audience. always a treat to see play live.

marc ribot [tom waits, elvis costello, robert plant, john zorn, solo] - master of all styles, incredibly skilled wrt to melody and emotion.

i saw ribot playing in marianne faithful's band a few weeks ago at a free at noon show at world cafe in philly (although she never indentified him)

the guy is absolutely insane and should have been on my list

Some of my favorite guitar teams:

Zoot Horn Rollo & Antennea Jimmy Semens (Captain Beefheart)

Harold Kelling & Glenn Phillips (Hampton Grease Band)

Tom Verlaine & Richard Lloyd (Television)

Duane Allman & Dicky Betts (Allmans)

Ash Bowie & Dave Brylawski (Polvo)

Kristin Hersh & Tonya Donnelly (Throwing Muses)

Look one of my favorite baseball players of all time was Don Kessinger. He's not in the hall of fame, and there are hundreds of players and dozens of shortstops that are -- and appropriately so -- but I still admire what he's done.

Now THIS man would be one bad-ass guitar player!

9a18_1_sbl.jpg

This discussion is interesting and all, but it truly is the first time I have heard anyone stake out the position that Gilmore is not a great guitarist.

No kidding.

as John Smith stated, this is the first I have heard of anyone stating that David Gilmore isn't one of the greatest of all time.. Therefore as far as I'm concerned he belongs on the list. :thumbup

Yes, very strange. Fender even had a huge poll for their 60th anniversary and he was rated #1 all time.