Greatest Guitarists of All Time

This topic is so subjective as already stated. But judging from the names thus far, it seems to be a "rock" list. I like many of the listed players. But I need to add a few of my own.

Micheal Hedges

&

Leo Kotkke

Both men did/do things with an acoustic guitar that blow your mind.

Man, I miss Hedges...

Pat Metheny...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing like that tone he gets on Texas Flood. It's so clean and yet just screams. The sound of a Fender cranked all the way up and big heavy strings on his strat. I love SRV.

I think the sound of his albums was sort of crappy after the first two. I have the re-mastered cds, and they still sound funny to me.

I think the sound of his albums was sort of crappy after the first two. I have the re-mastered cds, and they still sound funny to me.

I agree, the first 2 albums seemed to capture his live tone better, not sure what changed.

god bless you

fast doesn't impress me. fast & melodic does

we did a dixie dregs show at my college, outdoors in from of one of the dorms ... steve (and all the guys) couldn't have been nicer

great stuff

I met Steve at a NAMM show when I was 16 and relatively new to the guitar.

He was just walking down the aisle, and the exchange went something like this:

"Steve Morse?"

"Yes?

"Wow. I'm a really big fan.

(smiling) "Hey! Thanks! You play?"

"Yeah, but I'm not very good."

"No?"

"Not as good as I want to be."

"Do you practice with a metronome?"

"No."

"Well, that is the number one piece of advice that I can give to you, is to practice with a metronome. You have anywhere to be now?"

"No."

Come on; I'm going to the Ernie Ball booth. You wanna take a little walk with me? We'll talk about guitar a bit."

He gave me a little technique advice and just told me about being a working musician.

One of the nicest people that I have ever met. He had no need to be so cool to me... some random, starry-eyed kid on the showroom floor, and yet, he kinda took me under his wing for a few minutes.

So cool.

"Steve Morse?"

"Yes?

"No?"

"No."

"Well, that is the number one piece of advice that I can give to you, is to practice with a metronome. You have anywhere to be now?"

"No."

Come on; I'm going to the Ernie Ball booth. You wanna take a little walk with me? We'll talk about guitar a bit."

He gave me a little technique advice and just told me about being a working musician.

One of the nicest people that I have ever met. He had no need to be so cool to me... some random, starry-eyed kid on the showroom floor, and yet, he kinda took me under his wing for a few minutes.

So cool.

that is awesome

This topic is so subjective as already stated. But judging from the names thus far, it seems to be a "rock" list.

I guess that's to be expected, but to tip the scales a bit, I'll throw out some non-rock (or rock, but not just rock) guitarists that consistently knock me out:

Jim Hall

Barney Kessell

Pat Martino

Sonny Sharrock

Just about any name Bluegrass player

Django

Jorma Kaukonen

Bert Jansch

Bill Frisell

Whoever the main guitarist is in Tinariwen

Has anyone mentioned Steve Cropper? He should be in the "goes without saying" category.

Eddie Hazel, and the rest of the Funkadelic guitarists.

"Steve Morse?"

"Yes?

"No?"

"No."

"No."

So cool.

That is very cool, and Steve Morse is just a monster player. I always like hearing that people I respect end up being decent human beings. I heard a very similar story about Michael Hedges from a friend of mine. They discussed tunings and about a month later my friend got a letter from Hedges that had a list of his songs and all the different guitar tunings he used. I should ask for a copy actually but it's not like I could play any of it.

That is very cool, and Steve Morse is just a monster player. I always like hearing that people I respect end up being decent human beings. I heard a very similar story about Michael Hedges from a friend of mine. They discussed tunings and about a month later my friend got a letter from Hedges that had a list of his songs and all the different guitar tunings he used. I should ask for a copy actually but it's not like I could play any of it.

I'd like to see a photo of Steve Morse from his airline pilot days. I wonder if he had to cut his hair.

tbone_walker_splits_30.jpg

stevieRayVaughn280-754332.jpg

zztop_gibbons82.jpg

EricJohnson.jpg

Johnny%20Winter%20II.jpeg

Stephen Stills

Steve Miller

Steve Vai

are we playing a game?

apparently not the same one

Roky Erickson

I never really listened to him, but I was watching some footage of the 2008 Experience Hendrix Tour the other day - and he was there.

Eric Johnson can play the hell out of Hendrix, I have seen him do several of them live. Love or Confusion, Manic Depression, I know Hendrix was a huge influence on him, along with Wes Montgomery. Listen to "Ah Via Musicom" (the song), he should pay royalties to the Hendrix family for that one. "ah Via Musicom" (the album) has to be in the top 10 greatest guitar albums of all time.