Greatest Guitarists of All Time

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my favorite Hendrix cover is SRV doing Little Wing/Third Stone From The Sun. The version on the Soul to Soul re-master is great.

I would have to agree with that. I saw him do third stone from the son live a few times, amazing watching him beat the hell out of his strat for 10 minutes and somehow stay in tune.

Rose Hill Drive did the entire "Band of Gypsies" album on New Years eve a few years ago. Pulled it off surprisingly well.

Jimmie Vaughn is no slouch I might add. That's a one, two punch for family guitar players.

Jimmie didn't really get his due because he is not really a lead player. He is an absolute master at rhythm guitar which tends to get overlooked. Kind of like Malcom Young rarely gets any love.

I remember staying up late to tape the SRV Austin City Limits performances back in the day (1989, and a re-run of the 1983 show). You can get them on DVD now.

:thumbup

I did the same thing. I still have those tapes. I totally regret not going to the SRV/Jeff Beck co-headline tour.

As for Jimmy, I agree he's a great player. I think part of the reason he gets overlooked is because the Fabulous Thunderbirds was considered a cheesy band.

• 5 months later...

I just watched "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's" over the weekend and I have to say, there is nobody better than Jeff Beck on a good night. They flashed to Jimmy Page sitting in the audience at one point and he had a huge smile on his face, I think it was during Beck's unreal version of A Day in the LIfe. He was not a big influence on my playing so I would not say he was my favorite guitar player, but there really is nobody else that sounds remotely like him. He's just mind blowingly good.

On another note, his bass player Tal Wilkenfield is a freak of nature. No tiny 22 year old girl should be able to play bass like that.

Just thought I would mention the following just in case no one else did.

Rory Gallagher, for just being awesome and a heck of a nice guy.

Robert Fripp, for being awesome and having the balls to have sex with Toyah.

Eddie Hazel, for Maggot Brain.

Just thought I would mention the following just in case no one else did.

Rory Gallagher, for just being awesome and a heck of a nice guy.

Robert Fripp, for being awesome and having the balls to have sex with Toyah.

Eddie Hazel, for Maggot Brain.

I was thinking of him when Moss posted. I was watching Irish Tour 1974 a while back.

I was thinking of him when Moss posted. I was watching Irish Tour 1974 a while back.

God, that album was like a drug for us at school. It got passed around so many times and taped by so many people.:)

Sounds like we are allowed to leave Hendrix out? Then:

SRV

Jimmy Page

David Gilmour

Jeff Beck

Eric Johnson

Danny Gatton might be ahead of someone on this list.

A couple of dudes have been putting up a whole bunch of Danny Gatton shows at Dime a Dozen over the past week or so:

Dime a Dozen

I just watched "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's" over the weekend and I have to say, there is nobody better than Jeff Beck on a good night. They flashed to Jimmy Page sitting in the audience at one point and he had a huge smile on his face, I think it was during Beck's unreal version of A Day in the LIfe. He was not a big influence on my playing so I would not say he was my favorite guitar player, but there really is nobody else that sounds remotely like him. He's just mind blowingly good.

On another note, his bass player Tal Wilkenfield is a freak of nature. No tiny 22 year old girl should be able to play bass like that.

Oh hell yes. I watched this awhile back and it was just STUNNING. H-bombs were going off...guided missiles were flying. I know he originally comes from the blues, and guys like Hank Marvin, but it's really difficult to spot the influences. It's like he came from another planet or something.

Not my favorite of all time either, but WOW. And his skills do not seem to have diminished with the passing years.

A couple of dudes have been putting up a whole bunch of Danny Gatton shows at Dime a Dozen over the past week or so:

Dime a Dozen

Great. I do love Danny Gatton. I just love that classic, chickin pickin, Telecaster style of playing. Like Redd Volkaert, James Burton, Albert Lee. Not something I really do myself but I admire it. Danny Gatton is on a whole other plane though.

Oh hell yes. I watched this awhile back and it was just STUNNING. H-bombs were going off...guided missiles were flying. I know he originally comes from the blues, and guys like Hank Marvin, but it's really difficult to spot the influences. It's like he came from another planet or something.

Not my favorite of all time either, but WOW. And his skills do not seem to have diminished with the passing years.

I have read interviews that say he does not really practice much outside of getting ready for the occasional tour. He spends all his time fixing up cars in his spare time. Like you said, his skills have not diminished, he is as good as ever, maybe better.