Taper's Section (December 14 - December 20, 2009)

Welcome back to our pre-holiday week of music here at the Tapers' Section, where this week we've got some excellent music from 1969, 1980 and 1985. The vault doesn't have all that much music from mid December to December 27 (there simply weren't that many shows played during that stretch every year, and in some cases, like 1978, there are no tapes when they did play that stretch), but there is some cool stuff that we're excited to play.

Our first selection this week is from 12/19/69 at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco. The Fillmore Auditorium was a different venue than the Fillmore West (aka Carousel Ballroom), with the Auditorium being the same Fillmore at which we can still go see great music. From this show, the first of a three night run, we have Mason's Children, Black Peter, Hard To Handle, Cumberland Blues, Casey Jones, Good Lovin'. This was the time when they were really working all of the Workingman's Dead material into the repertoire, mostly to great effect. Mason's Children was the one Workingman's Dead song that was recorded but not included on the album, finally seeing the light of day on a CD release in 1999 with the release of the magnificent 5-CD boxed set So Many Roads.

From the very next show we have a segment of music that takes up an entire reel of tape and then some, starting and ending rather abruptly due to this, but it is so good, we figured you wouldn't mind. From 12/20/69 at the Fillmore Auditorium, we have The Eleven>New Speedway Boogie>Lovelight. This is the first live version of New Speedway, which is remarkable considering that the events that inspired this song took place only two weeks earlier at Altamont.

Jumping forward 11 years to 12/13/80 at the Long Beach Arena near LA, we have the post-Drums sequence of Not Fade Away>Black Peter>Sugar Magnolia, One More Saturday Night. As we demonstrated here a couple of weeks ago, there was some great music played toward the end of 1980 after the Radio City shows in October.

Lastly this week, from 11/22/85 at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center in Oakland, CA, we have the pre-Drums sequence of Touch of Grey>Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World. The Kaiser had become the band's new hometown venue, a nice stop in the short list of primary hometown venue for the band throughout their history (Avalon, Fillmore West/Carousel, Winterland, Kaiser, Shoreline, Oakland Arena).

Be sure to check in next week for music from 1979, 1982 and 1989. It's always a pleasure to hear from you, so feel free to write to the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section.

David Lemieux

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthur

2009-12-08

Hammerstein Ballroom

New York, NY

Set 1: (8:25-9:29)

Jam >

Truckin' >

Dire Wolf (JK)

Doin' That Rag (JK)

Ramble On Rose (BW&JK)

Reuben & Cerise > (JK)

Looks Like Rain

Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:

King Solomans Marbles

Hes Gone

New Potato Caboose

The Other One

Days Between

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain

Cold Rain and Snow

Donor Rap

Encore:

Touch of Grey

they sounded pretty good, good band and I really like the percussion

but having John K from DSO up there was a little weird, almost creepy

he is decent enough, but he emulates Jerry just a bit too much

it's a no win for these guys. i love bob and phil together. two distinct sounds that were destine to play together. the lead slot is just so tough for them. we don't want someone playing just like garcia. that would be weird, as you say. but we don't want someone coming in and ransacking the songs (enter warren haynes IMO). i think it worked best with Karan and Kimock. unfortunately, those guys don't seem to be part of this family. especially kimock. not to mention the fact that they have been pathetically under-rehearsed since the other ones days. i think hornsby got them into shape, but the dead and ratdog are just a mess. constant noodling and no discernible solos. at least garcia soloed. that's what we loved!

just some thoughts. they are coming to atlanta in feb and i'd like to see them in a small venue, but i am not spending double what i paid to see the dead in the 90s.

"Finally seeing the light of day in 1999 with the 'So Many Roads' box set". David, I hate to bust on ya, but "Mason's Children" WAS on the 1996 release "Dick's Picks 4" from the Fillmore East Feb. '70 run. :yes

it's a no win for these guys. i love bob and phil together. two distinct sounds that were destine to play together. the lead slot is just so tough for them. we don't want someone playing just like garcia. that would be weird, as you say. but we don't want someone coming in and ransacking the songs (enter warren haynes IMO). i think it worked best with Karan and Kimock. unfortunately, those guys don't seem to be part of this family. especially kimock. not to mention the fact that they have been pathetically under-rehearsed since the other ones days. i think hornsby got them into shape, but the dead and ratdog are just a mess. constant noodling and no discernible solos. at least garcia soloed. that's what we loved!

just some thoughts. they are coming to atlanta in feb and i'd like to see them in a small venue, but i am not spending double what i paid to see the dead in the 90s.

VH, I totally understand your reluctance to part with the hard-earned to see the latest incarnation, but keep in mind the you'll pay double (from what you paid in the 90s) to see any band that has been around for that long. Just sayin'. :thumbup

VH, I totally understand your reluctance to part with the hard-earned to see the latest incarnation, but keep in mind the you'll pay double (from what you paid in the 90s) to see any band that has been around for that long. Just sayin'. :thumbup

good point. i meant to say above that that was a great looking setlist. saw some clips on youtube of that show and it wasn't half bad. the DSO guy is not jerry, but fits the slot okay. the drummers are the week link in that band. why no billy or mickey? isn't it usually phil who's having a problem?

anyway, this time of year usually gets me missing the dead. nothing better on winter break in college than hanging out with friends to listen to the broadcast of the new years dead show. then, of course, spring tour!

"Finally seeing the light of day in 1999 with the 'So Many Roads' box set". David, I hate to bust on ya, but "Mason's Children" WAS on the 1996 release "Dick's Picks 4" from the Fillmore East Feb. '70 run. :yes

And a version from Fallout from the Phil Zone (1997) recorded at the Fillmore East on January 2, 1970.

Well we can parse his grammar all day but in his defense he was talking about how it was recorded for Workingmans Dead but that that studio version was not released until So Many Roads, which is correct.

Well we can parse his grammar all day but in his defense he was talking about how it was recorded for Workingmans Dead but that that studio version was not released until So Many Roads, which is correct.

i thought to lay me down was also recorded for that album?

It is a no-win when people place the Garcia onus on evry guy who steps into the lead slot! The giy was chosen because of his abilities, not because he was in a cover band. I'm not getting the under-rehearsed thing, either. They rehearsed for a few months prior to The Dead and play on a regular basis (particularly Ratdog of late). And regardless, this isn't The Dead but a new incantation of folks. It's the same music through different filters and that's how I see it. I don't like the parts of this formation as much as others but I'll still go see them (2 nights in CO). To piggyback on mb about the money: yeah, it sucks that it;s pricey but really, with inflation and what bands charge these days it's right in line.....

i thought to lay me down was also recorded for that album?

A studio version of To Lay Me Down is also included on So Many Roads and is listed as an American Beauty outtake from 1970.

A different studio version showed up two years later on Garcia's first solo album.

Speaking of Ratdog, I read somewhere the other day that they are going to play the entire Ace album at a show in Jamaica.

Didn't hear that but that's cool as it's a well-done album (mostly all GD tunes, anyway). Garcia, Phil, etc. all contributed to it, too. I looked into that Jamaica thing (this is the second year) and it looks like a complete blast with all room, food, drinks included. A buddy did it last year and still raves about it.

And Ratdog, in my opinion, gets (generally) better with age, though the Boulder show out here at the end of the summer got a really bd review from most in attendance....

A studio version of To Lay Me Down is also included on So Many Roads and is listed as an American Beauty outtake from 1970.

A different studio version showed up two years later on Garcia's first solo album.

And the Garcia outtakes cds have alternate versions to the official release (Garcia) version. As well as some other great alternates (Sugaree) and an amazing "Wheel" that had has a different delivery of some of the lines that always turns me on. In fact, there are several alternate "Wheel"s on there....

Didn't hear that but that's cool as it's a well-done album (mostly all GD tunes, anyway). Garcia, Phil, etc. all contributed to it, too. I looked into that Jamaica thing (this is the second year) and it looks like a complete blast with all room, food, drinks included. A buddy did it last year and still raves about it.

And Ratdog, in my opinion, gets (generally) better with age, though the Boulder show out here at the end of the summer got a really bd review from most in attendance....

I hope to catch them someday.

I loved Kimock with Ratdog and wish he was sitting in with furthur.

And I enjoyed Warren in the spring-it was better than I thought it would be.

Im not big on them trying to recreate the GD sound, but prefer when RD or PF create new interpretations of the songs

I loved when Wasserman was in RD and they were playing small clubs-that was my favorite post GD group.

they are playing Ace at the ratdog daze in negril

Jackie green has also signed on to do a few shows

they are having trouble selling the packages and just offered a discount

everyone says its a blast, and the shows are intimate

I see ratdog often. They are hit or miss. But every now and then you catch a really good one. Kinda like another band.

I can't believe people would fly to Jamica for Ratdog. I've seen them six or so times and have to debate weather to see them when they play a few blocks from my house. They are SOOOOOOOOOO inconsistent. The last time I saw them they laid down one of the bests sets I've seen any grateful dead offshoot play, set two though was one of the worst.

Anyone listened to any of these Furthur shows? I haven't been to excited due to fake Jerry and Jay Lanes presence.

I can't believe people would fly to Jamica for Ratdog. I've seen them six or so times and have to debate weather to see them when they play a few blocks from my house. They are SOOOOOOOOOO inconsistent. The last time I saw them they laid down one of the bests sets I've seen any grateful dead offshoot play, set two though was one of the worst.

Anyone listened to any of these Furthur shows? I haven't been to excited due to fake Jerry and Jay Lanes presence.

I went to opening night at the hammerstein. Not bad, but not good either. Jay actually plays mostly percussion and its actually one of the better parts of the show. Fake Jerry playing fake wolf? Well Im not loving it although his playing does sound a lot like JG.

The resort where the shows are is gorgeous. That's the real draw. Weir/Ratdog are there for a few weeks and packages include short, medium, and longer stays with Ratdog shows interspersed throughout. For the package you get shows, flight, room, all meals, all booze/drinks, and a few other perks. Like being on the beach in Jamaica. I'd do it if I could swing it.

I've heard some of the Further stuff and it's decent. Nothing to gush over but a=it's accomplished musicians doing tunes I enjoy so in the end I like it.

Fake Jerry playing fake wolf? Well Im not loving it although his playing does sound a lot like JG.

Coincidentally, that guitar is known as the "Alembic Further" and retails for a pretty sizable chunk. Are we sure it's not the original, though? Ryan Adams was playing the original with The Dead.....

Coincidentally, that guitar is known as the "Alembic Further" and retails for a pretty sizable chunk. Are we sure it's not the original, though? Ryan Adams was playing the original with The Dead.....

Man I hope not.

I can't believe Phil signed on for this shit. From what I've herd Bobby is taking the reigns with this band. I know its wishful thinking but I wish Phil would do more experimental music, like the one off show with Molitz/Molo and that trumpet player whose name is coming up blank.

As for Jamica, I mean I get the attraction I've just never thought about traveling to a Ratdog show, let alone dropping a few grand.

nah as I understand it, it is a carvin made custom for JK

Man I hope not.

I can't believe Phil signed on for this shit. From what I've herd Bobby is taking the reigns with this band. I know its wishful thinking but I wish Phil would do more experimental music, like the one off show with Molitz/Molo and that trumpet player whose name is coming up blank.

As for Jamica, I mean I get the attraction I've just never thought about traveling to a Ratdog show, let alone dropping a few grand.

Phil and Booby wanted "the dead" to continue touring.

Rumor has it Billy refused and Mickey kinda said, "well if hes not coming neither am I" and that phil and bobby have committed to playing together for the next couple of years. Warren and Jackie do their own thing, so they scrapped this band together. It is kinda cheesy.

I wish ratdog would bring back Wasserman. Seeing RD in small venues and doing their own thing was awesome.

Once Robin signed on and they started playing more and more Jerry tunes, RD lost an edge IMHO.

Phil and Booby wanted "the dead" to continue touring.

Rumor has it Billy refused and Mickey kinda said, "well if hes not coming neither am I" and that phil and bobby have committed to playing together for the next couple of years. Warren and Jackie do their own thing, so they scrapped this band together. It is kinda cheesy.

I wish ratdog would bring back Wasserman. Seeing RD in small venues and doing their own thing was awesome.

Once Robin signed on and they started playing more and more Jerry tunes, RD lost an edge IMHO.

Where does this info come from though? Is just speculation? Seems believable although I don't get who the fuck picked these guys. I think everyone of us could have picked a better band in a 10 seconds.

As for Wasserman, the guy is a beast on the bass and like you said actually helped make Ratdog more then a dead cover band. I'd be soooooooooooooo down for some weir/wasserman acoustic dates.

Hell I'm down for anything these guys wanna do as long as they bring something new to the table. While Phil and Freinds was mostly a dead cover band at least Phil was constantly coming up with new arrangements and players. I wouldn't even care if they weren't playing "new" material as long as they bring something new to it. Like is bob and wasserman did a bunch of covers or phil did something well ANYTHING.

ETA: I loved what the Rhythm Devils line up was doing (not lyrically or vocally but musically). It was fresh but that women stunk.)