I wondered if that was Phil talking, I figured it was. I like the "I guess you don't want to be good ladies and gentlemen" or something like that. I was impressed with the sound quality and the songs.

Thanks everyone for the help on identifying this show. Now I need to get dialed in on where to start getting copies of all these.

There are hundreds of AUD/SBD sourced Dead shows up at bt.etree.org. You can listen to almost all of them at Archive.org. You can not download any SBD sourced Dead shows at Archive.org though.

Of course, you can download AUD sourced Dead show from Archive.org. It is a direct download method, like The Wilco Archive.

If a show was commercially released, then you can not download or listen to the SBD source at Archive.org. There will be a message when you click on a show stating that it was commercially released.

There are also many other places out there to find Dead shows - such as audio blogs for example.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taper's Section - October 19- October 25, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section as we continue our run through October, where this week we'll listen to the music from throughout the 1980s, and a taste of 1973 to start things out.

Our first stop this week is on 10/25/73 in Madison, WI, where the Grateful Dead would be playing their second magnificent show in this cool city in 1973 (the previous show was 2/15/73). From the end of the first set, we have this great sequence of Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Deal, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Playing In The Band. The entire tour, and really the whole October 19-December 19, 1973 span, features some of the deepest, most inspired playing by the Grateful Dead ever, up there with Europe '72, September-December '72, and April-June '77.

Next up is going to be music from the second of two shows at the Saenger Performing Arts Center in New Orleans, on 10/19/80. As we mentioned last week here, the band took a brief “break” from the giant runs of shows at the Warfield and Radio City by stopping in New Orleans for two of these terrific three-set affairs, complete with acoustic sets. From 10/19/80, we have the start of the third set, featuring Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountains, Samson and Delilah, Terrapin Station .After this, they'd head to New York for their eight shows at Radio City October 22-31, 1980.

From four years plus a day later, on 10/20/84 at the Carrierdome in Syracuse, NY, we have the second set opener of Shakedown Street>Samson, He's Gone>Smokestack Lightning>Jam. This was one of the first live concert tapes I was given, just weeks after the concert (thanks, Terry…), and although I still have my old XLII-S, it is worn down after being played so many times. Thankfully the vault has a master Beta PCM of this concert, from which this jam was drawn.

Lastly this week, from 10/23/89 in Charlotte, NC, we have a very good chunk of the first set, including a couple of cool things to note: California Earthquake, Feel Like A Stranger, Loser, Walkin' Blues, Bertha, When I Paint My Masterpiece. This is the second and final live version of California Earthquake by the Grateful Dead. As some of you may recall, the band was on the east coast playing one of their most highly regarded tours in years, when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck on October 17, 1989, on a night off for the band, during the pre-game show of the Bay Bridge World Series. A couple of nights earlier in Philadelphia, the band played this song for the first time, followed by the Charlotte version. Also worth noting is the sort-of-rare mid-set Bertha.

Be sure to stop by next week for more great music, when we'll stick mostly within the 1980s, but, like this week, we'll take a detour into 1973. As always, we welcome and encourage you to write with comments or questions about the Tapers' Section. The email address below will get to me, and I try to respond to all correspondence.

David Lemieux

There are hundreds of AUD/SBD sourced Dead shows up at bt.etree.org. You can listen to almost all of them at Archive.org. You can not download any SBD sourced Dead shows at Archive.org though.

Of course, you can download AUD sourced Dead show from Archive.org. It is a direct download method, like The Wilco Archive.

If a show was commercially released, then you can not download or listen to the SBD source at Archive.org. There will be a message when you click on a show stating that it was commercially released.

There are also many other places out there to find Dead shows - such as audio blogs for example.

Great, thanks so much!

Nice choices by Lemieux this week.

First off - I've said it before in these threads, but the Oct.-Dec. '73 tour is my favorite tour in GD history. Let's hope he plays something from 10/27 next week. The first Indy Dead show. A couple of my older friends went to that one and they were converted for life from that show. The slowest, gnarliest "Loose Lucy" I've ever heard, for openers.

Weird that DL would say 10/20/84 was one of his first tapes - it was in my first batch as well. The Pre-Drums 2nd set was one of the best things from Fall '84 imo. Very dreamy jam into the drums.

I always liked 10/23/89, too. Too bad the "Earthquake Song" was sort of a novelty - I dug that tune, and actually learned how to play it on the geetar.

I saw the bootleg Earthquake Country up at some blog the other day. I think I actually recall seeing that in a cd store years ago.

The Grateful Dead - Earthquake Country (The Lost Album)

This CD contains 75 minutes of unreleased pure DAT soundboard recordings. All tracks are originals that were to be included on the next Grateful Dead CD prior to the passing of Jerry Garcia.

This is a really nice collection of post-Built To Last songs, taken from live recordings between 1993 and 1995. Other than the last disc of So Many Roads, these songs have been all but ingored on official Grateful Dead releases. This CD flows quite well, and almost feels like a complete album. It is really nice to have all of these tracks together on one disc, so that they can be judged on their own merit.

Track Listing:

1. If the Shoe Fits (1994-07-02)

2. Lazy River Road (1995-03-26)

3. Eternity (1995-03-26)

4. Liberty (1993-03-25)

5. Way to Go Home (1995-03-27)

6. Wave to the Wind (1993-05-29)

7. So Many Roads (1995-03-27)

8. Corrina > Days Between (1994-07-03)

caught ratdog on Tues night in NYC

and I have to say it was one of the better RD shows Ive seen

http://www.archive.org/details/ratdog20 ... 100.flac16

stream SBD

I: Jam > Feel Like a Stranger > Mule Skinner Blues, Queen Jane Approximately, Walkin Blues, Mission in the Rain, Row Jimmy, Tennessee Jed, Deal

II: The Winners@, Peggy-O@, Corrina@, Even So > October Queen > The Deep End > Uncle John's Band > Stuff*, Standing on the Moon, Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

E: Not Fade Away > Johnny B. Goode

*-with Tom Pope (Drums)

Great, thanks so much!

Of course the funny deal is - that you can not snag a SBD in one place, but you can in another place. I find that a bit odd.

I was listening to the Dark Star > Jam from Dick's Picks #2 last night. I love that Jam.

New stuff:

Road Trips Volume 3 Number 1 - 12/28/1979

The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 2: Jerry Garcia Band, Keystone Berkeley 1975

They are in town this month and I am seriously thinking about checking it out. Good to hear they are worth it.

I noticed in the (Umm...) Bobblehead thread that you saw DSO. How did you like the show?

'1256297758'[/sub] post='1375521']

I noticed in the (Umm...) Bobblehead thread that you saw DSO. How did you like the show?

I thought it was fantastic and will be checking them out again. Amazing how well they pulled it off. They announced at the end that it was a show from 5/11/80. Great atmosphere with everyone around me trying to guess what show it was, very friendly crowd, everyone dancing and having a good time. The Fillmore was actually packed and that is not a small place.

Overall, highly recommended for anyone that likes the Dead. Thanks for asking!

I thought it was fantastic and will be checking them out again. Amazing how well they pulled it off. They announced at the end that it was a show from 5/11/80. Great atmosphere with everyone around me trying to guess what show it was, very friendly crowd, everyone dancing and having a good time. The Fillmore was actually packed and that is not a small place.

Overall, highly recommended for anyone that likes the Dead. Thanks for asking!

Sorry for losing you most of the night. Glad you had fun too.

Glad you guys enjoyed the show. That second set looks good, I don't think I ever heard that show before.

Perhaps I need to give DSO another shot. I saw a picture of crowd over at the DSO page - it definitely looked like it was packed.

I was reading the fist volume of the taper's book last night and noticed something. There was some talk of Keith being a big fan and already knowing all the songs. In other books I have read that he was not familiar with The Grateful Dead, and was not really even into rock music.

I was reading the fist volume of the taper's book last night and noticed something. There was some talk of Keith being a big fan and already knowing all the songs. In other books I have read that he was not familiar with The Grateful Dead, and was not really even into rock music.

In McNally's book A Long Strange Trip, he writes that Keith listened/knew of the Dead prior to joining. The band did give him a bunch of tapes to get him more familiar with their music, but I assume that is very common with a new additions. I do seem to remember reading that he was not familiar with the Dead's music, too. Perhaps getting the tapes from the band brought on this assumption amongst people.

Yeah, there have been a number of conflicting stories about that so I thought the best information would probably come from Donna (since Keith isn't around to tell us his side of the story).

In Blair's book "Goin' Down The Road" there is an interview with Donna from 3/5/85. She says when she met Keith he was a jazz player who was just starting to play rock music. Early on in their relationship Donna told Keith one day, "let's listen to some GD" and Keith responded with "I don't wanna listen to it, I wanna play it!".

And then there's the story of them meeting Jerry at Keystone Berkeley, which I'm sure you know about. Donna says Kieth was very green, had only played small gigs before joining the Dead.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying "who knows?" :lol

I forget which book/where I read this but supposedly Donna approached Jerry after a JGB show and told him that Keith (too shy to meet Garcia himself and talk) was going to be the GD's new piano/keys guy. Not sure of the next steps in that relationship but evidently he got the try-out this way....

I forget which book/where I read this but supposedly Donna approached Jerry after a JGB show and told him that Keith (too shy to meet Garcia himself and talk) was going to be the GD's new piano/keys guy. Not sure of the next steps in that relationship but evidently he got the try-out this way....

It might have been the GDTR book I mentioned - that story is told by Donna in that one.

"Too shy to talk with Garcia". :lol I can't imagine why.

Taper's Section October 26 - November 1, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll be checking out music from throughout the 1980s, and a bit of 1973 for good measure.

First stop this week is on 10/27/73 in Indianapolis, where the Grateful Dead were in the midst of a great two month tour that featured some of the finest, most inspired, most consistently good playing of their history. From the end of the first set, we have El Paso, Brown Eyed Women, Greatest Story Ever Told, Loose Lucy, BIODTL, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. We've played so many big jams from Fall 1973 here at the Tapers' Section (and we'll continue to do so…) that we thought it'd be nice to highlight some of the shorter, first set material here occasionally.

Our next selection this week is from 10/31/84 at Berkeley Community Theatre, during the Grateful Dead six night run at BCT. These shows were the first concerts at which the Grateful Dead officially allowed taping, providing the tapers with a section of seats from which they could make their recordings. For that, we thank both the band for allowing it, and we thank the tapers for creating the world's greatest public archive of live concert recordings. From the end of the second set, we have Morning Dew>Around and Around>One More Halloween Night, Satisfaction.

From one year later, on 10/31/85 in Columbia, SC, we have the show opening sequence of Funiculi Funicula>Space>Werewolves of London>Music Never Stopped. Those sounds during Space were a downright scary way to open the concert. Weeeeeeeeird….

Finally this week, we have the show closing sequence from the final show on the band's amazing Fall Tour of 1989, from 10/26/89 in Miami. We've played the pre-Drums sequence here before, including that spooky Dark Star, but the post-Drums sequence is equally cool, featuring The Wheel>All Along The Watchower>Stella Blue>Not Fade Away, We Bid You Goodnight.

Don't forget to stop in next week for more great music. Feel free to write to the email address below with any questions or comments about the Tapers' Section, or anything else you might want to know.

David Lemieux

Well well well...ask, and you shall receive (10/27/73)!

Lots of great stuff from that show. I'm glad David played Greatest Story. There is a nice review in one of the DeadBases I have here - evidently during "Greatest" a HUGE guy got up onstage during that song and stood near Donna with his arms stretched out, crucifixion-style. There was no sign of violence so Big Steve just let him stand there for a few, and then led him off ever so gently. Donna let out a sigh of relief, and the crowd erupted with a blast of nervous energy. From that point on things kicked into high gear.

Nice, crazy combo of tunes in set 2 here - Playin > Half-Step > Big River > Playin - you don't hear THAT everyday!

Check it out friends, if you get the chance.