• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the 12.13.09 Furthur show. It's good. Definitely worth the download and a listen. John Kadlecik does play and sing well. The only clunker was the Mason Children. I also thought Weir's guitar was a bit low in the mix, esp. in the beginning of the first set. I kinda wished I would have tried to get decent seats for one of the Chicago shows. Only upper balcony seats are available, now at Ticketmaster. Also, Jeff Chementi plays great throughout, especially when he play the piano.

Listened to the 12.13.09 Furthur show. It's good. Definitely worth the download and a listen. John Kadlecik does play and sing well. The only clunker was the Mason Children. I also thought Weir's guitar was a bit low in the mix, esp. in the beginning of the first set. I kinda wished I would have tried to get decent seats for one of the Chicago shows. Only upper balcony seats are available, now at Ticketmaster. Also, Jeff Chementi plays great throughout, especially when he play the piano.

I guarantee you there will be cheap seats for this available as we get closer.

Also in the past I have never had a problem with Auditorium Theater staff letting me stand in the back on the floor by the bar or at the back of the first balcony. Last time I saw wilco there their was no problem sneaking down to a good seat once the show was underway. Not to mention it will be a mad house in there with all the heads and security won't know what to do a'la Phil at the Chicago Theater a few years back.

I myself am a fan of John Kadlicek ("Fake Jerry") and cannot be happier that he's playing with Phil and Bob in Further. For Phil and Bob to be Phil and Bob, they need to be led. What's often been wrong with Phil and Friends and Ratdog has been that they each try to lead their respective bands, while neither made a name for himself by being a leader. One is a bass player, one is a rhythm guitarist.

I remember seeing The Dead in 2003, when they had Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes onstage together. Everyone would look to Bob during the jams for Bob's little hand signals, and the result was a Mindless Twaddling Fest that went nowhere. Same kind of thing happened with Phil and Friends, with Phil giving signals through his microphone (but the last lineup with Jackie Greene and Larry Campbell was pretty great). It was unnatural.

Say what you want about Kadlicek's choice to devote his life to mastering the sound of Jerry Garcia, but with him onboard, Phil and Bob are more true to the music of the Grateful Dead than they've ever been. And be honest - do you like hearing Bob sing Tennessee Jed and Scarlet Begonias, Phil singing Eyes of the World and Franklin's Tower? Further '10.

I myself am a fan of John Kadlicek ("Fake Jerry") and cannot be happier that he's playing with Phil and Bob in Further. For Phil and Bob to be Phil and Bob, they need to be led. What's often been wrong with Phil and Friends and Ratdog has been that they each try to lead their respective bands, while neither made a name for himself by being a leader. One is a bass player, one is a rhythm guitarist.

I remember seeing The Dead in 2003, when they had Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes onstage together. Everyone would look to Bob during the jams for Bob's little hand signals, and the result was a Mindless Twaddling Fest that went nowhere. Same kind of thing happened with Phil and Friends, with Phil giving signals through his microphone (but the last lineup with Jackie Greene and Larry Campbell was pretty great). It was unnatural.

Say what you want about Kadlicek's choice to devote his life to mastering the sound of Jerry Garcia, but with him onboard, Phil and Bob are more true to the music of the Grateful Dead than they've ever been. And be honest - do you like hearing Bob sing Tennessee Jed and Scarlet Begonias, Phil singing Eyes of the World and Franklin's Tower? Further '10.

See I have always thought Phil's bands have had plenty of direction, even better then the cambell/greene lineup was the one before with cambell,sless,molo, barraco, osbrone and osby. I think Phil was a major part of leading the deads sound and jams, much mores o then bob ever did.

I actually love phil's singing. He may not be good but he puts his heart into it and you can hear it, especially on Terripan or Franklin's. The real problem is your never going to get that old sound back and thats what makes this boring to me. The Grateful Dead are long gone, if you want to hear that sound there are more then enough recordings to keep you busy.

The real problem is your never going to get that old sound back and thats what makes this boring to me. The Grateful Dead are long gone, if you want to hear that sound there are more then enough recordings to keep you busy.

This always confuses me when folks say this. It's not supposed to have the same sound. When the GD covered so many songs that they did they weren't trying to necessarily copy/emulate the originals. That's hoiw I look at the off-shoot bands. Anyone looking for the GD sound is living in futility (not you, just in general). I enjoy hearing tunes I love by decent musicians. It's the vibe I'm mostly seeking these days and as long as true efforts are put forth from the stage I can enjoy the tunes/time. It's the live experience of this body of work that still does it for me. Pales to the original, of course, but I appreciate the efforts and still get something out of it.

This always confuses me when folks say this. It's not supposed to have the same sound. When the GD covered so many songs that they did they weren't trying to necessarily copy/emulate the originals. That's hoiw I look at the off-shoot bands. Anyone looking for the GD sound is living in futility (not you, just in general). I enjoy hearing tunes I love by decent musicians. It's the vibe I'm mostly seeking these days and as long as true efforts are put forth from the stage I can enjoy the tunes/time. It's the live experience of this body of work that still does it for me. Pales to the original, of course, but I appreciate the efforts and still get something out of it.

But when you close your eyes, you're still thinking of Jerry, right?

i think you misunderstood me, I agree its not supposed to sound the same. Thats why in my mind Phil's lineups were always best. I think that what their going for with John is trying to emulate what no longer exists.

i'm all about hearing these songs still but I don't want to hear Jerry's tone, I don't want to hear his style because it makes that missing ingredient even more apparent. NO ONE can do what HE did, thats what made him who he was. Hell Sless and Kimock share similarities with Jerry but are unique enough that their playing emulate jerry ALL the time, which is precisely what John is trying to do.

That's cool jc. You probably don't dig DSO shows, then. I jear you. I really like catching JGB these days with Stu Allen. He sounds (vocally) like JG from mid-late 70s. I get a kick out of it. I think it's cool that the DSO guy got a promotion to the big stage, too, regarless of how it pales in comparison to the real deal.

Where does this info come from though? Is just speculation? Seems believable although I don't get who the fuck picked these guys. I think everyone of us could have picked a better band in a 10 seconds.

As for Wasserman, the guy is a beast on the bass and like you said actually helped make Ratdog more then a dead cover band. I'd be soooooooooooooo down for some weir/wasserman acoustic dates.

Hell I'm down for anything these guys wanna do as long as they bring something new to the table. While Phil and Freinds was mostly a dead cover band at least Phil was constantly coming up with new arrangements and players. I wouldn't even care if they weren't playing "new" material as long as they bring something new to it. Like is bob and wasserman did a bunch of covers or phil did something well ANYTHING.

ETA: I loved what the Rhythm Devils line up was doing (not lyrically or vocally but musically). It was fresh but that women stunk.)

Source: totally unverified ratdog board chatter.

Never checked out the devils. I liked the recent P&F lineup with Jackie-but did not really care for the past line ups.

For the most part, I have found something good in all of the post GD bands. Just something about JK trying too hard to emulate JG rubs me the wrong way. Its like they just watched Mark Wahlberg in Rockstar and the light went on. DSO is a fun night out, it is what it is-but seeing him onstage with Bobby and Phil, I dunno, its almost creepy.

A studio version of To Lay Me Down is also included on So Many Roads and is listed as an American Beauty outtake from 1970.

A different studio version showed up two years later on Garcia's first solo album.

right, it was an outtake from American Beauty. definitive version for me is on Reckoning.

Speaking of Ratdog, I read somewhere the other day that they are going to play the entire Ace album at a show in Jamaica.

i knew bobby would bust out walk in the sunshine one of these days...."Look Out!"

good points. however, john is not leading at all. he's following phil and bob. i've been over the scene for years. still listen to the dead once in a while and keep up with what's going on. i'm glad the boys go out and play and people still see them. the grateful dead are over and i think the Other Ones '98 was the height of post-jerry activity.

good points. however, john is not leading at all. he's following phil and bob. i've been over the scene for years. still listen to the dead once in a while and keep up with what's going on. i'm glad the boys go out and play and people still see them. the grateful dead are over and i think the Other Ones '98 was the height of post-jerry activity.

Yeah, John's not leading, but he's causing them to step back a bit. Same kind of thing that happened when Hornsby was with the Other Ones in '98. And I agree that's been the best post-Dead project to date. But I have high hopes for Further.

Ok, I have been jamming along to Bertha from Winterland 77 for the last 2 hours trying to sound like Jerry. Not happening yet, his greatness eludes me. Damn fun song to play along with though. I have now officially stolen several of his licks.

Ok, I have been jamming along to Bertha from Winterland 77 for the last 2 hours trying to sound like Jerry. Not happening yet, his greatness eludes me. Damn fun song to play along with though. I have now officially stolen several of his licks.

you'll be in further in no time. :)

Taper's Section (December 21 - December 27, 2009)

Welcome back to our holiday edition of the Tapers' Section. Things are a bit light here this week, but we do have some excellent material for you.

Our first selection is from Golden Hall in San Diego on 2/19/82, with a very good chunk of the first set, featuring Bertha>Greatest Story Ever Told, Dire Wolf, Little Red Rooster, Brown-Eyed Woman, Cassidy, Candyman. This is a little bit out of our date range this week, but we came across this tape and found some good music that we figured you'd enjoy.

Our next selection is from 12/27/89 at the Oakland Coliseum Arena. I believe we've played the post-Drums sequence here at the Tapers' Section, so this week we'll play you the pre-Drums sequence, featuring Iko Iko, Playing In The Band>Crazy Fingers>Uncle John's Band, with the first couple of songs featuring none other than the Big Man, Clarence Clemons sitting in on saxamaphone. A funny personal anecdote to this show: I'd flown in to San Francisco at around 3 PM from the east coast for these shows, and throughout 12/27/89 I kept thing 'wow, the sound is really muddy.' It wasn't until toward the end of the second set during Morning Dew that I decided to plug my nose and pop my ears, and all of sudden the sound became crystal clear. I was so bummed as I felt that despite being in a great location, I felt I'd missed the show. So let that be a lesson: if you fly the day of a concert, pop your ears.

Finally this week, we are going to look back on Dick's Picks Vol. 5, from 12/26/79 at the Oakland Auditorium Arena, later to be named the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center. From this magnificent concert, we have the post-Drums sequence of Not Fade Away>Brokedown Palace>Around and Around>Johnny B. Goode, Shakedown>Uncle John's Band. This is such a great show and worthy of Dick's Picking.

Be sure to stop in next week when we'll say goodbye to 2009 and hello to 2010 with music from 1977 and 1989. Thanks for stopping in and we'll look forward to seeing you next week.

David Lemieux

And don't forget to buy your:

Dead-opoly Game

Yes, now you can own Shakedown Street!

The Dead's take on the classic board game - with familiar faces and places, and Tim Truman’s artwork presiding.

An outstanding way to pass a long winter’s night or two.