I am listening to the 10/10/76 concert from Oakland Coliseum (Wolfgang's vault). I'm really liking the 76 and 77 stuff I'm hearing. Standouts to me are the version of Friend of the Devil ( I had not heard it done that way before) and the Dancing in the streets jam into Wharf Rat and back into Daning in the streets. An odd combination but it worked really well.

Setlist:

Might as Well

Mama Tried

Ramble on Rose

Cassidy

Deal

El Paso

Loser

Promised Land

Friend of the Devil

Dancing in the Streets

Wharf Rat

Dancing in the Streets

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

October 5 - October 11, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Greetings and welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll be excusively checking out music from the 1980s, with a good selection from throughout the decade.

Our first selection is from 10/10/81 in Bremen, West Germany. This little tour of Europe was the Grateful Dead's last trip overseas until the tour in 1990, and there was plenty of great music played on this 1981 tour. Most of you are likely familiar with the shows in Amsterdam a few days later, but this one also had some good stuff. From the opening of the second set in Bremen, we have Women Are Smarter>Suragee>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Eyes of the World.

From three years later on 10/5/84 in Charlotte, NC, we have the post-Drums sequence of the concert featuring The Other One>Black Peter>Sugar Magnolia>Johnny B. Goode, with the added coolness of something rocking coming out of Sugar Magnolia, a usual set-closer. There was loads of great music on this tour, including stops in Augusta, ME and Syracuse, NY that are excellent.

From five years after the above selection, we return to the Warlocks concerts from Hampton, VA, with music from the first night, 10/8/89, featuring the post-Drums sequence of I Need A Miracle>The Wheel>Gimme Some Lovin'>Morning Dew, We Bid You Goodnight. These two concerts are justifiably legendary amongst Dead Heads, partly due to what happened at this show, but mainly due to what happened the next night.

Speaking of the next night, from 10/9/89 in Hampton, we have the pre-Drums sequence of Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band>Playing In the Band>Dark Star. Yes, the first Dark Star in more than five years. The crowd's reaction just about blew the roof off of the building.

Join us back here next week, when we'll again stick with music from 1980s. As always, we encourage you to write to the email address below with any questions or comments. We try to respond to most every email, so feel free to write in.

David Lemieux

I do loves me some 1981. In my opinion it's the best year of GD in the first half (pre-Jerry coma) of the Brent Era. I'm really hard pressed to think of a really weak '81 show. Everything I've heard from the Europe Tour is interesting. The final night (10/19) stands out to me for the Spanish Jam (in Spain!), but the whole show finds everyone is good form.

October 12 - October 18, 2009 Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Welcome back to your weekly dose of this-week-in-Grateful Dead-history here at the Tapers' Section. As we mentioned last week, this week we'll be sticking to the 1980s again.

Our first selection this week is from the final night of the Grateful Dead's three weeks at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco on 10/14/80. From the start of the third set (these concerts, of course, featured three sets of music: an acoustic set and two electric sets), we have Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain.

From just a few nights later in New Orleans, we have the start of the second set from 10/18/80 at Saenger Performing Arts Center, where the Grateful Dead were playing the first of two nights on a quick stop between the massive runs of shows at the Warfield and Radio City. From this show in New Orleans, we have China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Feel Like A Stranger, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World, a terrific sequence in any year. I love these early versions of Stranger. Great stuff.

From about a year later, on 10/12/81 in Munich, West Germany, we have more music from the short but sweet European tour of 1981. From just before Drums, we have this cool trio of tunes, Estimated Prophet>GDTRFB>Never Trust A Woman. This is a stellar Estimated, one of my favourites. The band would play another show in West Germany before canceling two poorly-selling concerts in France and playing the two Amsterdam shows on 10/15&16/81.

Lastly this week, from the Fall Tour of 1989 that featured all sorts of great music, we have material from 10/15/89 at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey, specifically the start of the second set, featuring Samson and Delilah, Just A Little Light, Crazy Fingers>Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World. The next show, on 10/16/89, would be one of the more famous concerts of the latter half of the 1980s, and would be immortalized on the Nightfall of Diamonds album.

That's three versions of Estimated Prophet this week. We hope you don't mind.

We'll take this opportunity to wish Bobby a giant Happy Birthday. Be sure to check in next week for more great material from the 1980s, and some 1973 stuff to balance it all out. Feel free to email the address below with questions and comments.

David Lemieux

Glad to do it.

I don't know about alltime, but the 9/19 is my favorite from '70 (I know, 2/13 lovers :D ).

Glad to do it.

I don't know about alltime, but the 9/19 is my favorite from '70 (I know, 2/13 lovers :D ).

I learned a lot of things reading through those interviews - some of which, I found disturbing. But, that is no surprise really. It was nice to see an interview with Kidd Candelario. I don't think there are very many interviews with him out there.

12/01/73 playing on GDradio right now sounds really good. Only problem I see is that it does not say on the site where the show was recorded (that I can find). Then I went to Dead.net and 1973 seems to be missing in the archive section. What gives?

It may be just be a glitch.

That is a Boston show, I do believe.

There's about 10 minutes of them trying to clear people out of the aisles so that's why I was curious.

Plus I really like it.

Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT (10/15/83)

Feel Like a Stranger

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Brown Eyed Women

Wang Dang Doodle

Big Railroad Blues

Let it Grow

Day Job

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playin' in the Band

China Doll

drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

One More Saturday Night

Brokedown Palace

I remember anticipating the "Stephen" out of Space as they'd done it (and a similar second set) at MSG a few nights earlier. The build up to it still sends shivers down my spine....

Dead Lists

Band Grateful Dead

Venue Boston Music Hall

Location Boston, MA

Date 12/1/73 - Saturday

Set One

The Promised Land ; Sugaree ; Mexicali Blues ; Tennessee Jed ; Looks Like Rain ; China Cat Sunflower [8:24] > I Know You Rider [5:28] ; Big River ; Brokedown Palace ; Weather Report Suite Prelude [1:39] > Weather Report Suite Part 1 [5:02] > Let It Grow [9:08] ; Casey Jones

Set Two

Around And Around ; They Love Each Other ; Me And My Uncle ; Don't Ease Me In ; Me And Bobby McGee ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [7:35] ; Playing In The Band [13:42] > Uncle John's Band [9:16] > Playing In The Band [6:44] ; Row Jimmy ; Greatest Story Ever Told ; Not Fade Away [10:24] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [8:23] > One More Saturday Night [5:05]

Comments

The AUD contains the complete show, the FM-SBD Me & My Uncle and Halfstep through the end of Playing In The Band. There are lengthy comments from several band members before and between the first several songs of the 2nd set, trying to persuade people to obey fire marshals and stay out of the aisles.

Recordings

200 AUD + 45 FM-SBD + 200 SBD. The soundboard is complete

Master recording source(s): 7inch Master Reels@7.5ips 1/2trk.

Feel Like a Stranger

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Brown Eyed Women

Wang Dang Doodle

Big Railroad Blues

Let it Grow

Day Job

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playin' in the Band

China Doll

drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

One More Saturday Night

Brokedown Palace

I remember anticipating the "Stephen" out of Space as they'd done it (and a similar second set) at MSG a few nights earlier. The build up to it still sends shivers down my spine....

I was at that show-hartford was my home town base for dead shows

many a good show at the ole hockey rink

what a treat

and I still remember ole jer singing that china doll

a song that I hope will remain untouched by the various post dead incarnations

Feel Like a Stranger

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Brown Eyed Women

Wang Dang Doodle

Big Railroad Blues

Let it Grow

Day Job

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playin' in the Band

China Doll

drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

One More Saturday Night

Brokedown Palace

My brother was at that show, but I missed it... was in VA at the time, and saw them the week before. I think I have this one on CD somewhere, though...

I was at that show-hartford was my home town base for dead shows

many a good show at the ole hockey rink

what a treat

and I still remember ole jer singing that china doll

a song that I hope will remain untouched by the various post dead incarnations

Relative home base here, as well, back then (New Have area). We lucked out living there with soooo many shows hitting the N.E. area and easy driving access....

There's about 10 minutes of them trying to clear people out of the aisles so that's why I was curious.

Plus I really like it.

That is quite possibly my favorite bit of GD banter ever. Phil must have been on the Heinekens heavily - he's REALLY chatty. And Jerry: "this lame trip". Gold.

Plus that transition from Playin' into UJB is one of the best things ever! Jerry is noodling so furiously it's almost hard to comprehend.

Relative home base here, as well, back then (New Have area). We lucked out living there with soooo many shows hitting the N.E. area and easy driving access....

yeah no doubt some great shows in the 80s-thanks Jim Koplik and cross country concerts :)

hartford, new haven (RIP Coliseum-I saw many great shows at that dump in the 80s), springfield, providence, and

worcester, and even philly, albany and boston-all relatively close

but you could always count on a couple of shows in hartford, and Jerry at the bushnell-man those were some of my favs

yeah no doubt some great shows in the 80s-thanks Jim Koplik and cross country concerts :)

hartford, new haven (RIP Coliseum-I saw many great shows at that dump in the 80s), springfield, providence, and

worcester, and even philly, albany and boston-all relatively close

but you could always count on a couple of shows in hartford, and Jerry at the bushnell-man those were some of my favs

Don't forget Shelley Finkel!

Bushnell shows were always great. JGB crowd back then was more of a biker/older/melower crowd, too. Philly wasn't a far drive at all, as with SPAC. Even darted into NYC to Beacon for a JGB early show on a Tues. school night (high school) once....

Don't forget Shelley Finkel!

Bushnell shows were always great. JGB crowd back then was more of a biker/older/melower crowd, too. Philly wasn't a far drive at all, as with SPAC. Even darted into NYC to Beacon for a JGB early show on a Tues. school night (high school) once....

Shelley Finkel

:D

forgot spac, man some crazy times up there

yeah I never did NYC until 87, not sure why, probably because they hit hartford so often on the way or right after

Memorable trips for me during high school was to hampton spring 85 and 86-man did I end up in the doghouse after sneaking away for those shows.

I feel lucky to have caught all of the bushnell shows starting in 83 (it was actually the 5/30/83 show that got me hooked on jerry's guitar playing)and what can you say about the acoustic shows-beautiful sloppiness-if that makes any sense

Has anyone seen the Dead while the Godchaux's was still playing with them?

I didn't start seeing them until 89. And unfortunately I only caught them when they came to Chicago area --- didn't even make to a Deer Creek show, which still kills me.

At least I caught the last show of the '89 Alpine run (which was my first) and Brent's and Jerry's last show, but neither of their last shows were much to write home about. The first Soldier Field show was decent enough and obviously the Alpine show was great.

I always had fun and enjoyed the Chicagoland shows, but I must admit I do not revisit the tapes very often.

That is quite possibly my favorite bit of GD banter ever. Phil must have been on the Heinekens heavily - he's REALLY chatty. And Jerry: "this lame trip". Gold.

Plus that transition from Playin' into UJB is one of the best things ever! Jerry is noodling so furiously it's almost hard to comprehend.

I wondered if that was Phil talking, I figured it was. I like the "I guess you don't want to be good ladies and gentlemen" or something like that. I was impressed with the sound quality and the songs.

Thanks everyone for the help on identifying this show. Now I need to get dialed in on where to start getting copies of all these.