I know some people don't care for his vocals. I like some of the songs he did with them. That song Fresh Air, is alright. That guy wrote a lot of well know songs - and sold them off, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I think "Get Together" was his (under the pseudonym 'Chet Powers'). I kinda liked the twangy vocals - "The Hat" is a favorite of mine, and "Gone Again", too. Really, alot of the Dino-era stuff sounds so much like they were baked on strong weed to me. REAL laid back - almost the polar opposite of the frenetic, psychedelic sound of Happy Trails.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess he got busted several times for such things back then - which is why he sold off the rights to his songs, to pay for lawyers. I like the song What About Me - although the sound is a bit odd, the groove is nice.

Sons of Mercury is the only album I have by them (an anthology).

I have most of their stuff. The most interesting is a 2 CD thing I got from Collector's Choice. Disc 1 is titled 'Live'68' and is really really smokin'. They tear into "Back Door Man" so fiercely you'd almost forget about The Doors version, and their take on the old song "Codine' is almost scary.

I know we've talked about John Cippolina here before, but MAN, he was a true original. I loved his playing so much.

He played with Grateful Dead quite a bit - as I discovered when reading through those taper's books. I have said this before, but I got to see his guitar and amp at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://www.iclips.net/rothbury2009.php

Rothbury stream, string cheese "only show of 2009" live now.

Can't say I'm too upset about it either, they don't sound bad when they play, just never seems to go up to that next level. Never thought these guys were any better then a local band. Just don't understand how they got so big.

Link

July 6 - July 12, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Greetings, and big welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll check in on the Grateful Dead's recorded history with stops in 1984 and 1989.

First up this week is the entire first set from Alpine Valley on 7/6/84, and includes Iko Iko, Jack Straw>Big RR Blues, Little Red Rooster, Candyman, Me and My Uncle>Mexicali Blues, Bird Song, Let It Grow. These two Alpine ‘84 shows were very strong, and we'll get to more music from them later in the year we hope.

We're now going to start up with a run of music from the excellent summer tour of 1989. Our first selection is from one of my favourite shows of 1989, 7/7/89 at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. From the start of the second set, we have Box of Rain>Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain, Estimated Prophet>Standing On The Moon. This concert, start-to-finish, is stellar, and hopefully we'll see its release some day similar to the Buffalo 89 DVD/CD set.

From the next concert on the tour, at Giants Stadium on 7/9/89, we have the post-Drums sequence of Gimme Some Lovin'>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away. Of note at this concert is that it was a rare instance from this era that there was no Garcia ballad played post-Drums, just a long string of rocking tunes.

The very next night also featured some great material, on 7/10/89 at Giants. From this concert we have the opening of the second set, featuring Uncle John's Band. The two songs that opened the set were yet-to-be recorded for the Built To Last album, but both were already strong additions to the live repertoire.

Be sure to stop by next week for more great music. It's always good to see you, and to hear from you at the email address below.

David Lemieux

I was just thinking about posting up that 7/6/84 setlist today. It got many spins around here. Alpine Valley shows were never known for being real spacey, byt they would do the cowboy stuff and kick serious ass with them. And Let It Grow was always special there - all the green surroundings.

Nice to see David loving 7/7/89 - I LOVE that show. Really, from Summer Solstice '89 on that was the beginning of the band's last great period, all the way to Fall '91, when the bottom began to fall out.

I saw a ton of shows then. My parents would be all "Damn, boy! You're going out again?" "But Dad, they're ON FIRE! I have NO CHOICE!" :lol

HEY! I haven't been around for a while cause I've got a new job and am working close to 55 hours a week. But tonight I'm gonna have some free time and am planning on watching the Ratdog stream from All Good on Iclips at 10 eastern, if anyone feels like watching i'll be here.

Also if anyone can recommend some 69 and 72 shows id appreciate it.

HEY! I haven't been around for a while cause I've got a new job and am working close to 55 hours a week. But tonight I'm gonna have some free time and am planning on watching the Ratdog stream from All Good on Iclips at 10 eastern, if anyone feels like watching i'll be here.

If you don't already have 7/18/82, I highly recommend it.

http://deadlistening.blogspot.com/2008/02/1972-july-18-roosevelt-stadium.html

If you don't already have 7/18/82, I highly recommend it.

http://deadlistening...lt-stadium.html

I have pretty much been wearing out my copy of stepping out with the dead and I'm ready for something new. Is this one available on Dick's picks or somewhere? Something you would recommend that is maybe quite different from steppin out?

Ratdog

7/10/09

All Good Festival, Masontown, West. Virgina.

Jam>

Truckin'>

Tomorrow Never Knows

That is right up the road from me. The newspaper has been full of articles this week complaining about the festival, and making fun of the people there. I bet all the convenience store owners and others making money from all of those people are not complaining too much.

That is right up the road from me. The newspaper has been full of articles this week complaining about the festival, and making fun of the people there. I bet all the convenience store owners and others making money from all of those people are not complaining too much.

That's exactly right. When Deer Creek first opened ('89) the local yokels, and the papers treated The Dead coming as some kind of 'invasion of the huns', or something. They were actually really freaked out by the situation.

By about the third summer they (and you should know that the county DC sits in is about 95% Republican) came to the realization that this was a goldmine they had never anticipated. Grocery stores treated it like another 4th of July, local farmers started offering their land for camping, etc. Some people I know that owned land around the DC area were literally running briefcases full of cash to the banks for deposit.

So what started as "Go home, you unwashed smelly druggies!" ended up as "Welcome Grateful Dead fans!".I love a story with a happy ending, don't you? :lol

There use to be another festival place up that way, but I think they shut down. I think they are trying to shut the current festival down also.

MASONTOWN — It smelled like hamburgers and stale beer at the All Good Music Festival on Friday afternoon.

At 1:55 p.m., there weren’t many people near the All Good Stage — just a few die-hards who wanted to claim space front-and-center. But at 2 p.m., festival goers had to dodge dancing girls in colorful skirts to make it across the grounds. The first band, Hill Country Revue, had started playing.

And from there it was a matter of minutes before the first inevitable cry: “It’s all good!”

The phrase was rampant. The sun-warmed acres of RVs, tents, vendors and music lovers on Marvin’s Mountaintop. The mood was, by all accounts, good.

“I ditched all my responsibilities and came here for a second to have a good time,” said Douglas Cohen, of Brooklyn, N.Y. He juggled devil sticks to the rhythm of the music. Women twirled Hula-hoops on the hillside. Others tossed Frisbees.

At stage left, vendor stands formed an alley of cold drinks, finger food and gift shops. One man sold handwoven hammocks. Another sold handcrafted glass art. Another advertised hot coffee and hot chocolate — advertising, but certainly not selling, he said.

The three o’clock band took a side stage, the lead singer dressed as a dog, and his band in alien costumes. They were Big Nazo.

“You’re all experiencing one mass, collective hallucination,” the dog said, going into a rendition of Gary Wright’s “Dream Weaver.”

The hamburger and stale beer smell faded in and out between whiffs of marijuana. “I’m from Massachusetts, man, and they just decriminalized up to an ounce,” one man told a friend. Tim Isokait reclined on the hillside between sets on the All Good stage in his Bonnaroo 2005 T-shirt. “I try to go [to a music festival] once or twice a year,” he said. He drove with a few friends from Naples, Fla., on Tuesday and had their campsite set up at All Good on Thursday.

Before any bands came on, people under RV awnings played acoustic guitars and sang songs. A small, refashioned school bus rolled into the RV parking lot. A blue Volkswagen van from Montana came in behind it.

“It’s all good,” a girl said — the fifth one in two hours.

Well, not quite — another smell occasionally drifted past. There is only one shower location, after all.

[quote name='jc4prez' date='10 July 2009 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1247245341' post='1346682'

Two I listened to recently(perhaps you may have already heard these shows, but):

2.18.71 - Lots of first time played songs - Bertha, Greatest Story, Johnny B Good, Wharf Rat, Loser.

9.20.70 - Great acoustic set. 2nd set is steller too.

Both have great write up's in the Taper C. book.

Link

July 13 - July 19, 2009

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers’ Section for a stop in the middle of July. This week we’re going to be sticking to the late-Brent period of Grateful Dead music, with stops in 1989 and 1990.

Our first stop this week is to RFK Stadium in Washington, DC, where the Grateful Dead would end the stadium portion of their summer tour of 1989 with two nights at the then-home of the Redskins (who have since moved to Landover, MD, whose former tenants the Bullets/Wizards of the NBA and the Capitals of the NHL have moved into the city). After this concert, the band’s 7th stadium concert of the tour, they would wrap things up with four amphitheatre shows, at Deer Creek and Alpine. From 7/13/89, we are pleased to play the end of the concert, featuring I Will Take You Home>The Other One>Wharf Rat>Throwing Stones>Good Lovin'. It was all good and fun to see the band play well at stadiums, but moving on to the next show at Deer Creek was a real treat. After almost two weeks in stadiums, Deer Creek was like seeing the band in your backyard.

From the aforementioned Deer Creek show on 7/15/89, the band’s first ever appearance at this fine little venue in Noblesville, Indiana, we have the end of the second set, featuring featuring Space>China Doll>All Along The Watchtower>Stella Blue>Sugar Magnolia, with the Space including a bit of Close Encounters tease. This show was by no means perfect, but it sure was fun.

Lastly this week, from the Buffalo, NY show on 7/16/90, we have the end of the first set, featuring Loose Lucy, All Over Now, High Time, Let It Grow>Don't Ease Me InThis was a very good tour, with a few really great shows in the mix. It’s hard to believe that just 10 days after this show Brent would be gone, but thankfully we have the tapes to remind us of how great this band was.

Check in next week for music from 1974 and 1987. Lots of great material coming up. As always, we welcome and encourage your questions and comments to the email address below.

David Lemieux

I've begun looking into the Jan. Ratdog at the swank resort deal for next year. The first one was this past Jan. and a pal went and couldn't stop raving about what a time it was. The upcoming one includes two shows (or you can do 9 days and get 4+ shows) as well as all food and drink (top shelf booze, too) included and a bunch of other included shit. Gotta look into airfare, which is excluded....

That's exactly right. When Deer Creek first opened ('89) the local yokels, and the papers treated The Dead coming as some kind of 'invasion of the huns', or something. They were actually really freaked out by the situation.

I went to the GD's first show at Deer Creek. We got there the night before and slept in a farmers field nearby. In the morning we were woken up by a county sheriff who was kind enough to move us on our way to the show. The same cop woke us up again in the parking lot after the show.

From Billboard.com:

Warren Haynes In Musical Overdrive With Gov't Mule, Allmans, Dead

Warren Haynes

July 17, 2009 11:49 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Thanks to tours with The Dead and the Allman Brothers Band, a new Gov't Mule album and tour and a planned solo album, Warren Haynes is having his busiest year ever -- and is enjoying it immensely.

"I think it's a matter of having opportunities that are available," Haynes tells Billboard.com. "Gov't Mule is a laboratory I need to keep going all the time. The Allman Brothers...has been amazing, but I know at some point it's going to slow down, and the same with The Dead. I don't expect to always be this busy, but I don't want to look back a few years from now and go, 'Yeah, they asked me to do a Dead tour but I was too busy.' "

Haynes is currently on the road with Gov't Mule, though the band has pushed the release of its new album, "By A Thread," back from its original July 28 release (a new date is pending). The quartet recorded its first studio set since 2006's "High & Mighty" at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio in Texas, with ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons guesting on the track "Broke Down on the Brazos." It also marks the group's first studio recording with bassist Jorgen Carlsson, who joined the Mule in 2008.

"I had a lot of songs already written for the record, but we wrote three or four songs in the studio and that's something very different for us," Haynes reports. "We might get one new song written in the studio per record if we're lucky, but never three or four. There's just something fresh about what's going on in the band; it's a very transitional period, but everybody is really excited."

Haynes is also enthused about the eventual release of a solo album he recorded that he says "hearkens back to my earliest influences...soul music but it also kind of sounds like when Freddie King and B.B. King and Albert King did their more crossover records, where they were mixing funk and soul with blues." Haynes recorded the album with Meters bassist George Porter, Jr., Ivan Neville and Ian McLagan on keyboardist and Ron Holloway on saxophone. Neville and Ruthie Foster sing, along with Haynes.

"I'm really excited about it," says Haynes, who hasn't yet set a release date for the solo set. "I did two records back to back, solo and Gov't Mule, both at the same studio with Gordie Johnson co-producing, but they couldn't sound more different. It's really bizarre."

As for his other concerns, Haynes says he's confident the Dead is "going to do some more," especially with the group's 45th anniversary in 2010. And the Allmans, he says are "really clicking right now" as the group prepares for a run of dates in mid-August. The band is also "talking" about recording: "We have maybe half of a record written now, maybe even more than half," Haynes reports, adding that there are no concrete studio plans yet.

Animal Collective have just cleared rights to sample a Grateful Dead song on their new song "What Would I want Sky" that will be coming out on some EP soon. The track prominently features a sample from "Unbroken Chain" the sample is of Phil singing.

http://www.prefixmag.com/media/animal-collective/what-would-i-want-sky-new-song-via-bbc-session/25540/

Enjoy, the sample doesn't start till about three minutes in.

I know I just posted about this a few days ago, but then I realized yesterday was the anniversary of this show: 7/18/72

This show has a rough beauty, that's the only way I can describe it. They have a few equipment problems, and the ensuing frustration (and a few bad notes) seems to make them kick it up a few big notches. The versions of Me & Me Uncle, Bird Song, Sugaree, Black-Throated Wind, Loser and Stella Blue are really stellar. Jerry forgets a verse in Loser and then sings it a couple times later just to make sure he got it right. Bobby's between song commentary is legendary ("tiny little electronic mice gnawing their way through the pickups, y'see ... well, we got a big electronic cat after 'em"). Oh, and did I mention the 27-minute Dark Star?

Seriously, if you don't have this one, check it out.

Set I

Bertha

Me And My Uncle

Bird Song

Promised Land

Sugaree

Black Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower>

I Know You Rider

Jack Straw

Loser

Beat It On Down The Line

Stella Blue

El Paso

Casey Jones

Set II

Greatest Story Ever Told

Playin' In The Band

Brown Eyed Women

Tennessee Jed

Truckin'>

Dark Star>

Comes A Time

Sugar Magnolia

Set III

Ramble On Rose

Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo>

Sing Me Back Home

Not Fade Away>

Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad>

Not Fade Away

Link

July 20 - July 26, 2009

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers’ Section, where we’ve got some excellent Grateful Dead music for from 1974 and 1987 this week.

Our first selection this week is from 7/24/87 at Oakland Stadium in beautiful Oakland, CA, with the end of the Grateful Dead’s portion of the show featuring Uncle John's Band>Dear Mr. Fantasy>I Need A Miracle>Bertha>Sugar Magnolia. I say “the end of the Grateful Dead’s portion of the show” because the band would then play an entire 3rd set as Bob Dylan’s backing band. The 1987 Grateful Dead was a high-energy band, and although they might have lacked a bit of the exploratory sensibility of the 1973 band, or even the 1989-1990 band that would again stretch out on certain songs, they definitely came ready to play, and completely inspired.

Next up is music from the very next show on 7/26/87 in Anaheim, another Dylan and the Dead affairs, the finale of the six shows featuring this pairing. From the end of that mighty fine concert, we have The Other One>Stella Blue>Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away. Again, it is perhaps not the most jammed out material, but it was incredibly powerful nonetheless. This jam and the one above can be heard and seen on the DVD/CD View from the Vault, which contains two entire Grateful Dead concerts (in 5.1 on the DVD).

Finally this week, from Chicago on 7/25/74, we have the big second set jam of Dark Star>Stella Blue. Between the two songs, you’ll hear a very early jam of Slipknot!, which would be recorded in early 1975 and attached to Help On The Way and Franklin’s Tower from then onward with very few exceptions. It’s always fun to hear the beginnings of a song that would become such a big part of the band’s repertoire.

Be sure to stop back next week for music from 1966, 1973, 1982 and 1988, a good mix of old and, well, not so old. And feel free to email the address below if you have any comments or questions about the Tapers’ Section.

David Lemieux