• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Hello and welcome back to the Tapers’ Section, where this week we’ll tidily cover a decade of live Grateful Dead, from 1972 to 1982, with a little stop in 1979 along the way.

Our first stop this week is in Sacramento, CA, on 8/12/72, where the Grateful Dead would play one of their typically hot mid-1972 concerts (ah, heck, might as well scrap the “mid”…). From the second set, we have the big jam featuring He's Gone>The Other One>Black Peter>The Other One>Truckin', a little unique for both the split Other One (split by a Garcia ballad, that is) and the ending tune of Truckin’, which was usually a jumping off point for the big jams of 1972. Regardless, it’s still pretty darn cool.

Jumping ahead seven years plus one day, to 8/13/79 at McNichols Arena in Denver, we have the pre-Drums sequence from that mighty fine show, featuring I Need A Miracle>Bertha>Good Lovin', He's Gone>Other One. These were some of the final concerts Betty recorded, and they sure do sound great. As you may recall, the band was scheduled to play three nights at Red Rocks, but after the first show at Red Rocks, 8/12/79, the band had to move things indoors for the final two nights due to the weather.

Lastly this week, we’ll stop by the final show of the 1982 summer tour, on 8/10/82 in Iowa City, with the end of the second set, Iko Iko>Truckin'>Stella Blue>Sugar Magnolia. It’s always nice to hear these Iko Ikos out of space.

There were a few songs repeated in this week’s Tapers’ Section, but as they were within jams, we hope you don’t mind. We sure don’t.

Next week we have music from 1968 and 1990, so don’t miss it. Some great stuff coming up. We welcome and encourage your questions or comments to the Tapers’ Section, at the address below.

David Lemieux

Man, I do love those Ikos out of Space, too. Especially the early Ikos - very slow, seductive groove on those.

That week and a half (7/31 - 8/10, '82) is a VERY good period. The 8/7 Alpine show was worthy enough for a DP, but really every show in this time frame is good listening.

Just listened to a very nice Morning Dew in Jerry's honor. I know it was officially yesterday, but to me it's still Monday night. ;)

I well remember where I was that day: at work. It was a bummer having to just suck it up and not think about it too much. I still listen to Jerry and the boys pretty often, all these years later. I suppose I always will.

Man, I do love those Ikos out of Space, too. Especially the early Ikos - very slow, seductive groove on those.

That week and a half (7/31 - 8/10, '82) is a VERY good period. The 8/7 Alpine show was worthy enough for a DP, but really every show in this time frame is good listening.

Sounds like a good next listen for me! Is anything from this era available on a commercial release? Like a Dick's Picks or something? I need some more Dead!

Sounds like a good next listen for me! Is anything from this era available on a commercial release? Like a Dick's Picks or something? I need some more Dead!

I think just the Dick's Pick 32 (8.7.82) that Mountain Bed mentioned.

Below is a nice link showing all the Grateful Dead releases by recording date:

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dead_By_Date.htm

I think just the Dick's Pick 32 (8.7.82) that Mountain Bed mentioned.

Below is a nice link showing all the Grateful Dead releases by recording date:

http://www.deaddisc....ead_By_Date.htm

Hey perfect! Got it bookmarked now, thanks so much. I have been wanting a list like this.

Looks like they got Dick's pick 32 for $18 at the dead store.

Got some bad news folks, the band is called Further and features

Phil on Bass, Bobby on Guitar, DSO's Fake Jerry, Jay Lane, Jeff Chiminti, and Joe Russo.

I mean really Fake Jerry? And Jay? YIkes

Got some bad news folks, the band is called Further and features

Phil on Bass, Bobby on Guitar, DSO's Fake Jerry, Jay Lane, Jeff Chiminti, and Joe Russo.

I mean really Fake Jerry? And Jay? YIkes

I kinda have to agree with you, here. I can understand Lane playing with them, though at times his playing does grate on my ears, but couldn't they have found a different guitar player. I only saw DSO once in the late 90's so I do not know much about his playing, but I would have thought they could have gotten any number of other guitar players. It is a great gig for Kadlecik, though. Kudos for him.

The guy from DSO is actually quite good. I take these things with a grain of salt and will check them out if the price is right. It's just another group playing tunes I like so that in itself is ok by me. Stu Allen does an excellent job of covering Jerry's part in the JGB. His voice is eerily similar to Garcia's too.

re: Aiko out of space. Always a great groove with the added oomph in there for the lyrics. There's an extra beat/vocal pop to them. One of the few tunes I think Donna generally shined on. Even early 80s one's sans Donna out of space are nice (I'm thinking UVA '82, in particular).

Oh man, our band played "I know you Rider", "Wharf Rat", and "Fire on the Mountain" tonight. Our first attempt at GD and it was a blast! Sounded quite good if I don't say so myself. I'm still pumped.

This is not showing up on the front page of Dead.net, but I found it anyway:

Link

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where we examine the Grateful Dead's recorded history. This week we have music from 1968 and some excellent June, 1990 Grateful Dead.

First stop this week is at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, where the Grateful Dead were playing a three night run. From the middle night, 8/21/68, we have the Pigpen show closing sequence of Lovelight, Midnight Hour. You may be familiar with the 8/24/68 show in LA, Two From The Vault, which took place just a few days later.

Speaking of LA, from the first night on 8/23/68, we have one of the strongest jams of a great jamming year, Alligator>Caution>Feedback. Just a big old bolt of electricity. There isn't a lot of 1968 material in the vault, but what is there is stellar for the most.

We're now going to step a little bit outside of our date-specific focus here at the Tapers' Section, going back to the excellent Cal Expo shows in June of 1990. From the first night, on 6/8/90, we have this kickass (can we say that here?) sequence from the second set, Uncle John's Band>China>Rider, Estimated>Foolish Heart. Very unique, with the Uncle John's into China>Rider, and the Estimated>Foolish wasn't all that common a combination.

From the same run of shows, from the third night on 6/10/90, we have another magnificent pre-Drums sequence of Box of Rain>Eyes>Playing>Crazy Fingers>Playing. They were on fire in June of 1990!

Stop by next week as we close out August with music from 1969, 1972 and 1980. Feel free to write to the email address below with questions and comments.

David Lemieux

Link

August 24 - August 30, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section as we make our way toward the end of August, 2009, with plenty of great music coming along for the ride, with selections this week from 1969, 1972 and 1980.

Our first stop this week is at the Family Dog at the Great Highway in San Francisco on 8/29/69, featuring one of the odder groupings of songs from 1969, consisting of New Orleans>Searchin'>Good Lovin', Dire Wolf, King Bee, Lovelight. The first two songs in the jam were quite rare, and ending with a Pigpen twofer like this not common either, so plenty of neat stuff to enjoy here.

Next up, from 8/25/72 at Berkeley Community Theatre, we have music from both the first set and second set. From the former we have Jack Straw, FOTD, Promised Land, Bird Song, Playing, Bertha and from the latter we have Truckin'>Jam>Bass>Other One>Jam. This was the last show before the big Veneta, Oregon event on 8/27/72, and this show was a pretty darn good warm-up, as was the whole week at BCT.

Lastly this week, from Pine Knob Music Theatre just outside of Detroit on 8/27/80, we have the end of the first set, featuring Althea, Looks Like Rain, Big RR Blues, Feel Like A Stranger.

Be sure to stop back in next week when we roll (into the semis…) into September with some music from 1969, 1977 and more of the excellent 1980 music you heard in our last selection this week. Feel free to write with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section to the email address below

David Lemieux

Link

August 31 - September 6, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section as we end out August and start September with music from 1969, 1977 and 1980.

Our first selection this week is a bit of a straggler from last week based on its date, and features a bit of an odd ending to an otherwise typical jam from 1969, specifically Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Drums>High Time. This is from 8/30/69 at the Family Dog at the Great Highway in San Francisco, where they always seemed to play something a bit unique when they played at Chet's venue. See last week's selection for further proof.

Next up is music from the famous Englishtown, NJ, show on 9/3/77, enshrined as the wonderful Dick's Picks Vol. 15. From the end of the concert, we have He's Gone>NFA>Truckin', Terrapin Station, each and every one of which are played superbly. This was the first Grateful Dead concert since 6/9/77, and to return after three months off, with a fresh new album in the can (Terrapin Station) and playing in front of 100,000 New York City area fans obviously pumped the band up. A truly remarkable show.

We'll now head down to the Capital Center in Landover, MD on 8/31/80, where the Grateful Dead were in the midst of a terrific late-summer tour, which included many outstanding concerts. From the Cap Center, we have the end of the first set, featuring Tennessee Jed, Far From Me, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Deal. They came out playing hard at this show, and never really let up. One of the band members once asked the vault for a copy of Lazy Lightning>Supplication, and when he was played this version, asked “didn't we used to play it a bit slower than this?” He was then played a 1977 version and said “ah, that's the one.”

Also from this tour, on 9/2/80 in Rochester, NY, we have the end of the concert, featuring Space>Iko Iko>Morning Dew>Sugar Magnolia, which is included as part of Dick's Picks 21, the only 1985 Dick's Pick.

Be sure to stop by next week for music from 1974, 1982 and 1990, including music from Vince Welnick's first concerts as a member of the Grateful Dead.

David Lemieux

Bump. :dancing

I went looking for the thread, ready for my usual Monday fix but I didn't realize Aman put 2 week's worth of Lemieux in last week's post. D'oh!

Regarding this week: the Englishtown show I know we've talked about before, but possibly one of my favorite (non-musical) parts of the show is John Scher's introduction: On guitar, Bob Wee-uhh! On vocals, a very fine lady, Miss Donna Jean God-showwwww! And then...On guitar, Mr. Jerry Garcia!(HUGE roar from the 100K in attendance).

Great, outdoor feel to that.

It's really a shame there isn't more of '85 on official release - in fact, with ALL of the live releases there STILL isn't a single show from '84 or '86. With this new Road Trips thing going strong there MUST be a show or two from those years that is worthy. :ohwell

Bump. :dancing

I went looking for the thread, ready for my usual Monday fix but I didn't realize Aman put 2 week's worth of Lemieux in last week's post. D'oh!

Regarding this week: the Englishtown show I know we've talked about before, but possibly one of my favorite (non-musical) parts of the show is John Scher's introduction: On guitar, Bob Wee-uhh! On vocals, a very fine lady, Miss Donna Jean God-showwwww! And then...On guitar, Mr. Jerry Garcia!(HUGE roar from the 100K in attendance).

Great, outdoor feel to that.

It's really a shame there isn't more of '85 on official release - in fact, with ALL of the live releases there STILL isn't a single show from '84 or '86. With this new Road Trips thing going strong there MUST be a show or two from those years that is worthy. :ohwell

I posted the second one yesterday afternoon. I must have edited the post, instead of posting a new post.

It's up early today:

Taper's Section Link

September 7 - September 13, 2009

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we have loads of great music from 1974, 1982 and 1990.

Our first selection this week is from the Alexandra Palace in London, England on 9/9/74, a show that started the short but excellent European tour of 1974. This would be the final tour by the Grateful Dead until June of 1976, and the music was not only outstanding, but the tapes sounded great as well. Kudos to Kidd on his recording. From this show, we have Truckin>Jam>Wharf Rat, all played so well. this is part of the amazing Dick's Picks vol. 7, one of my favorites of the entire series of 36 picks.

Next we'll stop in to the second show on the fall tour of 1982, on 9/11/82 in West Palm Beach, FL, a show that took place on Mickey's 39th birthday. Happy birthday, Mickey! From this show, we have the start of the second set, which included Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Terrapin Station. This a very good tour, with some extremely inspired playing at a few of the shows.

We'll now take a listen to Vince Welnick's first-ever concert as the keyboardist and vocalist for the Grateful Dead, which took place on 9/7/90 at the Richfield Coliseum near Cleveland. Nobody in attendance knew what to expect, as not much was known of Vince, although anticipation was extremely high. From the beginning, from the first song, he fit in nicely, and although there were some growing pains, he filled in the hot seat nicely. Brent was very well-loved and missed by all, but the show must go on. We're pleased to play the entire first set from 9/7/90, featuring Cold Rain and Snow>Walkin' Blues, Ramble On Rose, Me and My Uncle>Big River, Althea, Masterpiece, Bird Song, Picasso Moon, US Blues. Midway through Cold Rain and Snow, Vince drops a little organ flourish, his first really audible moment as a member of the Grateful Dead, and the crowd welcomes him to the family with a giant roar of approval.

Lastly this week, we have the start of the second set of Vince's second show, on 9/8/90 in Richfield, featuring Eyes of the World>Estimated Prophet>Terrapin Station>Jam. Again, Vince fit right in from that start. Plenty more good music would follow in the near future, with four of the six Madison Square Garden shows a week later already represented by official releases (Dick's Picks Vol. 9 and Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 1).

Be sure to come back next week for more great music, with selections from 1972 and 1990 coming up in a week. As always, feel free to write with questions or comments about the Tapers Section to the email address below. Thanks for stopping by.

David Lemieux

I'll agree with David - DP #7 is one of my favorites. The Playin' on there was my favorite for YEARS.

Regarding Vince's first show: I'll bet I wasn't the only VCer there. Not bad - but a week later when Bruce hooked up with the boys the shit REALLY got good. I think those first few tours with the double keyboard action was as good as anything they did in the last 10 years.

I'll agree with David - DP #7 is one of my favorites. The Playin' on there was my favorite for YEARS.

Regarding Vince's first show: I'll bet I wasn't the only VCer there. Not bad - but a week later when Bruce hooked up with the boys the shit REALLY got good. I think those first few tours with the double keyboard action was as good as anything they did in the last 10 years.

bruce was fun live, but those tapes are like middle range hell. just too much going on. i wish it was just bruce. vince was always too high in the mix.

anyway, any one see/hear those shows phil and bob did with the darkstar orchestra dude?

bruce was fun live, but those tapes are like middle range hell. just too much going on.

Totally agree. It sure didn't sound like that in the room, did it? I wonder if there are going to be any multitrack masters from that era ever coming out. The DP and RT that have been released sound like mud. But ya can't mix 2 track! :hmm

there STILL isn't a single show from '84 or '86. With this new Road Trips thing going strong there MUST be a show or two from those years that is worthy. :ohwell

I knows a guy who claims very strongly that '84 is a fantastic year. I'll see if I can dig up his list of best shows from that year....

I knows a guy who claims very strongly that '84 is a fantastic year. I'll see if I can dig up his list of best shows from that year....

Well, the Indy show I saw that year (6/30) is possibly the best show I ever saw of the GD. No shit.

The Maine shows in October are superb as well.