Yeah, I have been doing the same thing. It seems like the person is seeding all the 71 shows one by one.

A good thing...I am having issues downloading 4.26.71, it seems to be taking forever for some reason.

The Fillmore East: April 1971 [bOX SET], that the Dead released a while back, is one of my favorites. It will be nice to have the entire run.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" on 10/31/85 in Columbia, SC, we have the showopening sequence of Funiculi Funicula>Space>Werewolves ofLondon>Music Never Stopped. Those sounds during Space were adownright scary way to open the concert. Weeeeeeeeird…."

Always loved this show-opening madness they did this night. The helicopter sounds and all. Very nice "Werewolves" with tons of energy and weird shit/sounds going on throughout it, as well. The "Music" is fantastic, as well. Great, fun stuff.

Jerry Garcia Band - 1984-03-10

Reuben and Cherise

Gomorrah

Love In The Afternoon

Cats Under The Stars

Tangled Up In Blue

Dear Prudence

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Rhapsody in Red

This is sounding really good right now on gdradio.net. Now I suppose I will have to hunt down some Jerry Garcia band stuff.

Taper's Section (November 2 - November 8, 2009)

Welcome back to our first full November week of music here at the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll listen to music exclusively from 1984 and 1985.

Last week, we mentioned the Berkeley Community Theatre shows in the Fall of 1984, and from the six night run, we have the second set opening sequence from 11/2/84 featuring Help On The Way>Slipknot!>Franklin'sTower>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Wharf Rat>Gimme Some Lovin'. This was the first ever live Grateful Dead version of Gimme Some Lovin', and although Phil had started singing a little bit earlier in the year, adding some vocals to Why Don't We Do It In The Road, this night featured what is widely considered Phil's return to active singing duties. Soon Tom Thumb Blues would be added to Phil's vocal repertoire, followed by Box of Rain 1986, and slowly but surely he would add songs, from covers such as Broken Arrow to originals such as Childhood's End and the return of Unbroken Chain, not to mention his very fine backup vocals on songs such as Built To Last.

From the very next show, the final night at BCT on 11/3/84, we have another remarkable second set sequence, featuring Feel Like A Stranger>Cumberland Blues, Gloria>Why Don't We Do It In The Road>Jam. The Fall of 1984 had some pretty darn good music at times.

Our next selection is from a year later on 11/7/85 at the Rochester War Memorial, where the Dead would continue a very good tour that included a few very good two night runs (Richmond, Worcester, Meadowlands, etc). For this first night in Rochester, we have the second set opening sequence of Touch of Grey>Samson and Delilah, High Time>Let It Grow, with this being a very rare second set Let It Grow.

Lastly this week, we have more music from Rochester, NY, on 11/8/85. This was very nearly my first show, as many of my friends' older brothers were going to these concerts and we almost tagged along, being huge Dead Heads already but a bit young for such a long road trip (or so the older brothers thought…). This night was my 15th birthday. Instead my friends and I got mugged this night. I think going to Rochester would have been the better choice. From the end of the show, we have The Other One>I Need A Miracle>She Belongs To Me>Sugar Magnolia, Satisfaction.

Just as this week featured music exclusively from the mid 1980s, next week we'll only be hearing material from 1971 and 1972. And it's reeeeeaaaallllly good. See you next week. And feel free to write the email address below with any questions or comments about the Tapers' Section

David Lemieux

Taper's Section (November 9 - November 15, 2009)

Welcome back to the Tapers’ Section, where every week we try to play you some cool selections from this week in the Grateful Dead’s recorded history. We’ve had quite a lot of 1980s material the last few weeks, and this week we’re going to head back in time to 1971 and 1972 exclusively.

Our first stop this week is at the Harding Theatre in San Francisco, where the Grateful Dead were wrapping up two nights at this cool little venue, a former church. Incidentally, these concerts were opened by the New Riders of the Purple Sage, and would be Jerry’s final concerts as the New Riders’ pedal steel player, with Buddy Cage taking that place after these shows, a replacement personally selected by Jerry. From the second set of 11/7/71, we have the big jam featuring Dark Star>Drums>The Other One>Me and My Uncle>The Other One.

From a bit more than a year later, we have Dark Star>Morning Dew from 11/13/72 in Kansas City, KS. There is a small gap in the fall tour of 1972 during which no reel-to-reel board tapes were made, so this selection is from one of the band’s own audience recordings, which sounds pretty good. Any limitations the audience source might have are made up for the in the quality of performance, which is a typically hot late 1972 jam.

Next up, from one night later on 11/14/72, we have the second set jam from Oklahoma City, featuring He's Gone>Truckin'>Jam>The Other One>Sing Me Back Home. It must have been a great time to see multiple shows, when virtually every night you were likely to see a Dark Star like the previous selection or an Other One like this.

Finally this week, from the next show in Oklahoma City on 11/15/72, we have Brokedown Palace, Playing In The Band, Big Railroad Blues. These fall tour 1972 Playing In the Bands are some of the best the band ever played, although from Europe ’72 through to October 1974, virtually every performance of this tune featured something interesting.

Be sure to come back next week for more great 1971 and 1972 Grateful Dead music. You know, more Dark Stars and Other Ones… Feel free to write to the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers’ Section, or anything else.

David Lemieux

Regarding this week's selections: that 11/7/71 show was in the very first batch of tapes I ever acquired, and is a really good 'un. Two minutes into the Dark Star they're already reaching for deep space.

It always just blows me away how quickly Keith fit in. I have a number of shows from 10/19 until the end of the year and he was immediately just right there with the perfect piano licks.

It always just blows me away how quickly Keith fit in. I have a number of shows from 10/19 until the end of the year and he was immediately just right there with the perfect piano licks.

As Analogman mentioned earlier, there is guy posting all the 71 shows over on bt.etree (he is up to the August shows). I am looking forward to those Keith fall shows, since I have only heard a few of them.

Knowing what I know, you can almost bet they already have someone lined up to take that position.

Tapers Section (November 16 - November 22, 2009)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week, like last week, we'll immerse ourselves in Grateful Dead music from 1971 and 1972. It's odd how it happens like this, where we'll have a few weeks of 1980s music, then a few weeks of 1970s music. Regardless, there's loads of good stuff in the vault, so we expect we'll keep hopping around forever like this.

Our first selection is from Austin, TX on 11/15/71. We have played you the big second set piece from this show before, which oddly consisted of NFA>GDTRFB>NFA, albeit one of the finest renditions of that medley in the band's history, but the really big jam from this concert occurred, equally oddly, in the first set, Dark Star>El Paso>Jam>Casey Jones. Definitely different to find a first set Dark Star, but it works well attached to a couple of first set tunes.

From a shade over a year later, on 11/17/72 in Wichita, we have the big second set sequence of Truckin'>Drums>The Other One, Brokedown Palace. This is one of the most powerful Other Ones in a year of many very fine Other Ones. They get deep without getting unfocused.

Lastly this week is another Fall 1972 second set jam centered around The Other One, this one from 11/22/72, also in Autsin, TX, like our first selection this week. This jam consists of He's Gone>Truckin'>The Other One>Bass Solo>Jam>The Other One>Stella Blue. . Yes, another Truckin'>Other One, but if you compare it to the previous jam from five nights earlier, you'll really hear how different Grateful Dead shows could be.

Next week we have music from 1973, 1979 and 1980, so be sure to stop back and check it out. As always, we encourage you to write with questions and comments about the Tapers' Section, or anything else. The e-mail address below should find me.

David Lemieux

Got the motherload in the mail Friday:

JGB - Keystone Berkeley 11/75 (JG, Kahn, Hopkins & Tutt)

Winterland '77 - The Complete Recordings

Road Trips, Vol.3, No.1 - 12/28/79

Major Dead-listening bender here!

i really like the '79 shows with brent. some interesting jams there as well as some mellow shows. i mean the band busted ass 77-78. after keith and donna left, i feel the band could relax a bit. let us know how that road trips show is. also, have you listened to any of the other pure jerry shows? any good?

http://www.furthur.net/

Feb tour for the Furthur project. i haven't been keen on any dead related stuff for several years. i think i'm gonna try for the atlanta show. i just love phil and bob's playing. i don't care for warren haynes, so this will be good. i wonder why mickey and/or bill are not on board with this? at least mickey. it's pretty small venues.

Taper's Section (November 23 - November 29, 2009)

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers’ Section. This week we’re going to check out music from 1973, 1979 and 1980, a good selection from three very good years in Grateful Dead music.

Our first stop this week is in El Paso, TX, on 11/23/73, when the Grateful Dead were about the midway point of one of the finest stretches in their performing history, October 19, 1973 to December 19, 1973. The exceptional shows around this period are many, and this one had some good music throughout, including this tasty batch o’ Dead, featuring China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Big River, Row Jimmy, Weather Report Suite. This show is one of those underrated shows, mainly owing to the fact that it's surrounded by such great nights of music, specifically the Denver shows that preceded it, and the Boston shows a week later (aka Dick's Picks 14).

Next we'll jump forward six years to 11/29/79 in Cleveland, where the band was starting the second Eastern leg of their fall tour of 1979. From that show, we have the end of the first set, consisting of Easy To Love You, Brown-Eyed Women>Looks Like Rain>Don't Ease Me In. This entire stretch from late October to mid-December, 1979 had some really great shows.

From a shade under a year later, on 11/26/80 in Pembroke Pines, FL, the band was starting out a very short run of shows in Florida and Atlanta. These were the first concerts since the final night of Warfield-Radio City shows on 10/31/80, and they picked up right where they left off, with good, inspired Grateful Dead music. No acoustic sets, but they had brought in a few of the acoustic songs into the electric sets after Radio City (On The Road Again, Race Is On, Bird Song). From the first set at the Sportatorium, we have On The Road Again, Jack A Roe, Minglewood Blues, It Must Have Been The Roses, Race Is On, Althea>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Deal. These shows at the end of November were mostly exceptional.

And speaking of the four shows to end the month, we have music from the final night, on 11/30/80 in Atlanta. We've played some of the second set here, but this week we're going to play you some excellent first set material, specifically Bird Song, Me and My Uncle>Big River, It Must Have Been The Roses, Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance.

Be sure to stop by next week when we end November and start December with music from 1973, 1979 and 1981. There's some good stuff coming up. The e-mail address below is always welcoming of your comments and questions, so feel free to write anytime.

David Lemieux

I got the JGB and Winterland set, also.

The Berkeley set almost seems like it should have been called the Nicky Hopkins Band...Hopkins sure liked to do all the talking, which is fine of course, it just seemed that Jerry was sitting in with the band, though he doesn't play like he is just sitting in. And I know Jerry never talked too much on stage after the early 70s anyway. The music is great. I also like the tone of Kahn's bass on the Berkeley's set. Some years I don't particularly like the sound of Kahn's tone...

The Winterland set of course great, some clunker notes and playing, but the vast majority of the three nights are well played.

I wonder if they are ever going to release an entire run from a venue that Bill Graham did not own. Two Winterland runs and the 69 Fillmore run...I don't think I am missing any, am I?

I got the JGB and Winterland set, also.

The Berkeley set almost seems like it should have been called the Nicky Hopkins Band...Hopkins sure liked to do all the talking, which is fine of course, it just seemed that Jerry was sitting in with the band, though he doesn't play like he is just sitting in. And I know Jerry never talked too much on stage after the early 70s anyway. The music is great. I also like the tone of Kahn's bass on the Berkeley's set. Some years I don't particularly like the sound of Kahn's tone...

Hopkins was notoriously boozing a lot back then. The New Years JGB w/ Hopkins is a classic example. I think it's that one where Hopkins starts to intriduce the band and JG cuts him off and tells the crowd that actually, we're gonna take a break for a bit...Musically, I don't get the sense that Hopkins is over-dominant on any of the stuff I've heard but toi each his own ear, and all.

I think I've got all/most of the Pure Jerry stuff and I don't think there's a selection I don't appreciate.

Musically, I don't get the sense that Hopkins is over-dominant on any of the stuff I've heard but toi each his own ear, and all.

Nor do I. On the Berkley release, each of member of the quartet compliments each other rather well. I don't think anyone is over playing. Hopkins does the inro's on this set also and Garcia didn't cut him off.

I am a fan of Hopkins, it was just weird (for me) hearing him do all the talking.

Taper's Section (November 30 - December 6, 2009)

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll hear music from 1973, 1979 and 1981 as we head into December and what we expect will be a good holiday season of music.

Our first selection this week is from 12/1/73, the middle night of three shows at the Boston Music Hall. You might be familiar with the first and third nights through Dick's Picks Vol. 14, but the middle night also had some good material, including this sequence of Around and Around, They Love Each Other, Me and My Uncle, Don't Ease, Me and Bobby McGee, a nice batch of first set songs. As you'll hear throughout this sequence, they were having crowd control problems, but evidently it all worked in the end.

Next we'll stop over in Chicago, to the Uptown Theatre, where the Grateful Dead were playing a three night run in early December, 1979. From the first show, on 12/3/79, we have this classic late-1979 sequence from the end of the first featuring All Over Now, Jack-A-Roe, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Althea, The Music Never Stopped. This tour, and the October/November tour, was really Brent's arrival with the band, as each night he sounded more confident and more integrated into the band's sound as both a keyboard player and vocalist.

From the very next show, on 12/4/79 at the Uptown, we have another first set closing sequence, this time made up of Minglewood, Stagger Lee, Passenger>Deal. This, like the previous sequence, was classic for the time.

From two years later, on 12/6/81 at the Rosemont Horizon just outside of Chicago, we have yet another first set closing sequence, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Jack-A-Roe, BIODTL, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. This December 1981 tour of the mostly-midwest was the last Grateful Dead tour recorded on reel-to-reel, and although these weren't mixed specifically for the tape (they are PA feed recordings), they do sound remarkably robust.

Be sure to stop back again next week for great music from 1971, 1981 and 1989. It's always a pleasure to hear from you, so feel free to write to the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section.

David Lemieux

Regarding the 12/1/73 show: quite possibly my favorite banter ever. But you HAVE to listen to the transition from Playin' into UJB. Jerry just goes insane and RUNS with it. One of my favorite things from all of Fall '73.

Taper's Section (December 7 - December 13, 2009)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll be checking out music from 1971, 1981 and 1989, an 18 year run through the Grateful Dead's recorded history.

Our first stop this week is on 12/7/71 at the Felt Forum in New York City, which is located on the ground floor of Madison Square Garden, and is currently called the Theatre at Madison Square Garden. After the Fillmore East closed in June 1971, with the Grateful Dead's final shows there being in April, 1971, the band didn't really have a home in New York, trying out a few places for the next few years, a range of venues that included the Felt Forum, Academy of Music, Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey for the big summer shows, Nassau Coliseum in 1973, the Bronx in summer 1971and a few other places. The Felt Forum shows, the band's first in Manhattan since the Fillmore shows in April, were a triumph, with Pigpen back, radio broadcasts, a big new live album (recorded mostly in New York, no less) and huge success just around the corner, or so it seemed. From the Felt Forum, we have this batch of first set material, Next Time You See Me, Tennessee Jed, El Paso, Brokedown Palace, Run Rudolph, You Win Again, Cumberland Blues. They were playing very well at these shows, as proven by all of these smaller yet exceptional songs.

Our next selection this week is from 12/7/81 in des moines, ia, on that short midwest tour we mentioned here last week. from the start of the second set, we have the double dose of jerry followed by the double dose of bobby, Mississippi Half Step>Franklin's Tower>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance. this is a classic 1981 sequence, with the _ step>Franklin's always a great combination.

From the same tour's final night, on 12/9/81 in Boulder, CO, we have another first set closing sequence of Candyman>Cassidy, Looks Like Rain, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. This is an excellent little tour, often overlooked but worth checking out if your tape trading takes them to you.

Our last stop this week is at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, CA, then home of the LA Lakers and LA Kings. The venue is still there hosting concerts, but the hockey and basketball teams have moved downtown to the Staples Center. From 12/10/89, we have this cool first set closing sequence of When I Paint My Masterpiece, Loser, Victim or the Crime, CC Rider, I'm a Man. Those final two tunes feature rock legend Spencer Davis sitting in with the band, a very cool guest artist.

Be sure to stop back next week for music from 1969, 1980 and 1985. Some good stuff coming up. Have a great week and we'll see you here next Monday. And as always, feel free to write to the address below my name with questions or comments.

David Lemieux

I was hoping David would play something from 12/5/81 (Indy).

My first show. Just a few days before my 19th birthday. Sheet of blotter, ludes, bag o' grass, lotsa beer. I didn't know wtf was going on AT ALL. Not too familiar at the time with the music. We just walked up and bought a ticket at the door. It WAS a good time, but I didn't really "get it" until a year or so later.

Listening to the show now, I realize that was a fine one! Completely unique CC Rider - at the end they go to double-time ala "Around & Around". Sweet. And of course the Playin' is as out there as you'd hope for.

Furthur

2009-12-08

Hammerstein Ballroom

New York, NY

Set 1: (8:25-9:29)

Jam >

Truckin' >

Dire Wolf (JK)

Doin' That Rag (JK)

Ramble On Rose (BW&JK)

Reuben & Cerise > (JK)

Looks Like Rain

Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:

King Solomans Marbles

Hes Gone

New Potato Caboose

The Other One

Days Between

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain

Cold Rain and Snow

Donor Rap

Encore:

Touch of Grey

they sounded pretty good, good band and I really like the percussion

but having John K from DSO up there was a little weird, almost creepy

he is decent enough, but he emulates Jerry just a bit too much

Furthur

2009-12-08

Hammerstein Ballroom

New York, NY

they sounded pretty good, good band and I really like the percussion

but having John K from DSO up there was a little weird, almost creepy

he is decent enough, but he emulates Jerry just a bit too much

I'm kicking around the idea of seeing Furthur in Chicago. It would be great to see them play at the Auditorium Theatre. However the ticket price is $65.00, which is fine, but I don't know if I want spend that much. But it would be sweet seeing them at the Auditorium.

I'm kicking around the idea of seeing Furthur in Chicago. It would be great to see them play at the Auditorium Theatre. However the ticket price is $65.00, which is fine, but I don't know if I want spend that much. But it would be sweet seeing them at the Auditorium.

yeah I got a ticket outside the venue last night for $70, a bit steep, but less than "the dead"

phil and bob sound grate together, chimenti is fantastic and the two drummers really groove-this band sounds really good and it will get better as they play more

but the fake Jerry thing is just a little weird