• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really turning out the products these days:

I am not sure for how much longer, though. It should be interesting how this plays out. I assume the Warner Music Group will maintain control of the Grateful Dead catalog if Rhino completely dissolves. Hopefully they will keep up with the releases. Perhaps this is why Rhino has been pushing out a large number of Dead releases while they could. I for one still like the physical box sets.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009163.html?categoryid=16&cs=1&nid=2562

Rhino Records lays off 30-40

WMG unit attempts to change with the times

By CHRISTOPHER MORRIS

In the latest indication of the shrinking market for compact discs, Warner Music Group's catalog arm Rhino Records laid off between 30 and 40 staffers on Thursday.

Job losses came in all departments, including A&R, marketing, promotion and publicity.

A statement from Rhino cited a "fundamental transformation of the physical new release and catalog business" as a reason for the cuts.

Company said Rhino will evolve into an entity that "handles WMG's global digital catalog initiatives, film, TV, vidgame and commercial licensing, and name and likeness representation for legendary artists."

Move comes as sales of physical recorded music continues to decline steeply. Rhino has long been considered the industry standard for boxed set retrospectives, but demand for such high-ticket items has been strangled by the music market slump and shift to digital sales.

The Warner unit has been trying to change with the times, placing more emphasis on digital-only offerings, including a recent virtual boxed set devoted to the U.K.'s Factory Records, and name-and-likeness pacts, such as those made with Frank Sinatra's estate and the Grateful Dead.

Oh, this is awesome! I don't think I have any Hopkins JGB stuff here.

I haven't heard the JGB with Hopkins until recently, either. A couple of incredible sounding audience tapes were up on bt.etree a few weeks back.

They are still seeding, but if you don't do the torrent thing, you can send me a PM I can send you the discs. Great recordings and Hopkins plays great.

I am looking forward to the official release. When Borders was doing the 1/2 off sale on all there cds a while back, the Borders by my house had a whole bunch of the Jerry Live releases in stock, so I grabbed them all.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=527952

MOTB Release: 0092 16/44.16

Release Date: 2009-08-31

Band: Jerry Garcia Band

Date: 1975-11-29 (Saturday)

Venue: Keystone - Berkeley

Analog Audience Source: FOB Master Cassettes (MAC)

Medium Stock Brands: MAC = 2 x Maxell UD c90

Analog Lineage: 2 x Sony ECM-280 (Directly In front of Jerry Hand held 10ft back) >> Sony TC-152 >> MAC

Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi CR7a => Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]

Taped By: Reinhard Holwein

Transfer By: Bob Menke

Mastering By: Derek McCabe

Set 1:

d1t01 - All By Myself

d1t02 - Catfish John

d1t03 - Positively 4th Street

d1t04 - Mystery Train

d1t05 - Pig's Boogie

d1t06 - Sugaree

d1t07 - Russian Lullaby

d1t08 - Roadrunner

Set 2:

d2t01 - Mission in the Rain

d2t02 - That's What Love Will Make You Do

d2t03 - Friend of the Devil

d2t04 - Lovely Bunch of Coconuts Tuning

d2t05 - Lady Sleeps

d2t06 - //I'll Take a Melody

d2t07 - Let's Spend the Night Together

d2t08 - Edward

This was posted at Jambands.com this summer. They have redesigned their site, and I just noticed the interview yesterday. I can't recall if it was posted here or not. I did a search around the time period, and did not see it. Anyhow, it is a very informative interview. They even talk about the 1972-08-27 - Veneta, Oregon film again.

David Lemieux: The Dead Archivist Abides – Part I

David Lemieux: The Dead Archivist Abides – Part II

This was posted at Jambands.com this summer.

David Lemieux: The Dead Archivist Abides – Part I

David Lemieux: The Dead Archivist Abides – Part II

Thanks for the links:

Two things that jumped out

JPG: What other bands do you follow? Or is it exclusively Grateful Dead?

DL: No, a lot of bands. Huge Wilco fan. Bands that still do it for me in a live setting, Wilco is really one of them that I really dig seeing.

It would be interesting to hear Lemieux's take on the latest Rhino news. I thought Grateful Dead Productions did do a good job before they sold the rights to Rhino, obviously there were more releases once Rhino took over. I understand (I guess) why the Dead did sell the rights, but (upon hearing the news about Rhino) it's gotta be a kick in the gut to Lemieux and the rest of the GDP team. Of course GPD might have folded long before now if Rhino did not get involved.

Perhaps The Dead saw the demise of CD's coming and wanted to get as much money as they could before the sales completely bottomed out. So at the end of the day, selling the rights might have been one of the better business decisions the band made. And of course the Dead were never that great at making business decisions.

RHINO

JPG: When Rhino acquired the Vault with the licensing deal three years ago, did you anticipate that you would remain in a similar role? Back in 2005 during our first interview you said that as you listened to a given show and checked it out for use, it would be digitized. The sense I had was that after everything was digitized you would be moving towards other areas at GDP?

...DL:Over the years, I think it was recognized that Grateful Dead Productions did a lot of good things. I’m certainly not taking the credit for that. I’m talking about [engineer] Jeffrey Norman and Cassidy [Law], Eileen [Law] and Bob Minkin on the package design side and the whole marketing side. For an in-house operation selling most of our releases by mail order, I think we did a great job. I’d like to think all of the music had a place in the official release canon and when it closed down, there was no bitterness on my part that it was moving down to L.A. and the company was shutting down. There was an immense sense of pride that we built it up, whether it was a release series like Dick’s Picks, the quality of something like The Grateful Dead Movie or the Fillmore box sets. When it went down, we were very proud that this was the level of perfection, if you want to call it that, that it was going to be carried on by another entity. If they wanted us involved, that would be great, and if they didn’t, then we sincerely wished them good luck. Ultimately, we want to see the quality of the releases, both the music, the sound quality, the overall packaging and the marketing to continue with where we brought them with GDP. I think everybody would’ve loved it to continue forever, but at the same time, it is certainly something that we can be immensely proud of.

Taper's Section - September 28 - October 4, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section as we close out September and head into October. This week we're going to listen mostly to music, and goooood music, from 1976, with a touch of 1989 mixed at.

The fall tour of 1976 featured some exceptional concerts, and some intriguing and inspired set lists and song combinations. After an entire tour now under their belts after their nearly two-year hiatus, the Grateful Dead settled into a touring schedule that would be the norm for the next 19 years, with each year generally featuring three tours, plus several short batches of shows in a region or a bunch of California shows. Our first stop in 1976 this week is in Syracuse, NY, with music that is part of the stellar Dick's Picks Vol. 20, the second 4-CD Dick's Pick, after the outstanding Vol. 14. From the second set of 9/28/76, we have Jam>Comes A Time>Drums>Eyes of the World>Orange Tango Jam>Dancing In The Street>Playing in the Band, Johnny B. Goode. the orange tango jam is unlike anything i've ever heard the grateful dead do.

From the very next show, on 9/30/76 in Columbus, OH, we have another big 1976 second set jam, featuring St. Stephen>Not Fade Away>Drums>Wharf Rat>Not Fade Away>St. Stephen>Around and Around. The coolest thing about these fall tour of 1976 second sets is that each one is completely different and unique. They did things at these shows that they'd never do again, nor before.

To prove that point, here's another massive 1976 second set jam, from 10/2/76 in Cincinnati, with the incredible segment of Dancing In The Street>Drums>The Other One>Stella Blue>The Other One>Sugar Magnolia. Every show featured something interesting. The first sets on this tour were very good, but the second sets were stunning for the most part.

Our last selection, from 20 years ago this week, is the return of Death Don't Have No Mercy, from 9/29/89 at Shoreline. As a famous Dead Head once said, this was the last time he truly saw Jerry blow his mind with a guitar solo. It is exquisite, and very deserving of its inclusion on the exceptional 5-CD boxed set So Many Roads.

Be sure to make your way back to this site next week for more great music from the Grateful Dead's recorded history. As always, we welcome and encourage you to write to the email address below my name with any questions or comments

David Lemieux

vault@dead.net

I'll go out on a limb here, and make a VERY general statement - I prefer '76 to '77. For the reasons Lemieux mentioned - the setlists were crazy-unpredictable, and the jams were for the most part very dreamy. You can still hear a little bit of '74 in some of them. '77 is the just exactly perfect year, and that's really a good year to turn on newbs but it's straight ahead, all business (like I said, a VERY general statement).

I have 6/3/76 & 6/29/76, and both are great.

Indeed - both of those are very good. The Playin' from 6/29 stands out to me as the closest thing to the '74 spaceouts. The Wheel from that show is awesome as well.

I would also mention 6/14 off the top of my head. The longest Slipknot ever? I dunno, but Jerry noodles furiously on that one - at one point it's just him and the drummers. You GOTTA get that. 9/25 & 9/28 are outstanding, too.

DSO is a fun band to catch. I don't think I've ever paid $40 to see them, but have paid $20 or so. That's money well spent, imo, to see a pretty good band who plays my favorite music.

That new Rhino release looks like chopped up (shows) horseshit and a gimmicky run for the money.

Winterland stuff looks great, as do any Winterland releases.

Great '85 shows off the top (previously mentioned) 9-3-05 Starlight, Richmond's 11/1, 11/2, Greek 6-14 is fantastic all the way through and has the amazing Keep On Growing.

Not sure if I already posted these thoughts earlier or not. Weird.

I may buy the May 15th 1970 show from Wolfgang's Vault. I recall listening to at Archive.org, and thinking it was pretty good.

I recall that as being a damn good one, although my memory of the electric sets aren't so good. I know there's a Dark Star in there.

The acoustic sets stand out to me for the very rare She's Mine (Pig) and the great gospel tune I Hear A Voice A-Callin'.

Update on the archive:

Grant gives Grateful Dead archive new life online

By AUSTIN WALSH

Posted: 09/30/2009 01:30:13 AM PDT

SANTA CRUZ -- The Grateful Dead Archive has taken another step in its long strange trip, from the UC Santa Cruz library to its own Web site, The Virtual Terrapin Station.

One of the most popular bands in rock 'n' roll history will have its legacy including photos, show tickets, toys, posters and recordings preserved online thanks to a federal grant. The Grateful Dead Archive, housed at the McHenry Library, has been awarded $615,175 by the Institute of Museum and Library Services to photograph and scan collection images and upload them. The public will be able to access the online collection and offer fans the opportunity to contribute to the collection by digitally submitting photos.

Christine Bunting, head of special collections and archives at McHenry, said the school will use the grant over 2½ years to archive what she said is the world's largest public collection of Dead memorabilia.

"The ultimate goal of making the archive digital is that everyone will have a Grateful Dead experience," Bunting said.

Allowing the public to contribute was inspired by the band's spirit of openness, according to Bunting.

"The idea for the Web site came from the sharing of Grateful Dead music and keeping up with their tradition," Bunting said.

The extensive collection consumes nearly 600 feet and includes thousands of pictures, documents and pieces of memorabilia, Bunting said. Archived materials like band member journals show the band's creativity and influence in contemporary music history. The archives also contain paraphernalia related to the band's extensive social network of devoted fans and the group's highly unusual and successful business ventures.

Two-thirds of all the Dead material held by the school were donated by surviving band members in 2008, according to Bunting. The rest comes from Deadheads.

UCSC was one of 51 institutions nationwide that received National Leadership Grants from the Institute of Museum and Library Services this year totaling nearly $18 million, according to the organization's Web site.

"This is a first for the UCSC library, and the grant gives us the opportunity to create a new model for Web-based archives that will include traditional materials from our Grateful Dead Archive," said Librarian Virginia Steel. "Along with materials contributed by scholars and Deadheads around the world."

DSO is a fun band to catch. I don't think I've ever paid $40 to see them, but have paid $20 or so. That's money well spent, imo, to see a pretty good band who plays my favorite music.

That new Rhino release looks like chopped up (shows) horseshit and a gimmicky run for the money.

Winterland stuff looks great, as do any Winterland releases.

Great '85 shows off the top (previously mentioned) 9-3-05 Starlight, Richmond's 11/1, 11/2, Greek 6-14 is fantastic all the way through and has the amazing Keep On Growing.

Not sure if I already posted these thoughts earlier or not. Weird.

They are in town this month and I am seriously thinking about checking it out. Good to hear they are worth it.

Do you mean Let It Grow?

Or were the GD covering Derrick and the Dominos?

Phil and Brent sang Keep on Growing, the Derek and the Dominoes cover. According to DeadBase they played it 4 times (3 in 85 and 1 in 86)

06-14-85 Greek Theatre, U. of California, Berkeley, Ca.

06-22-85 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wi.

06-30-85 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Md.

02-14-86 Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center, Oakland, Ca.

Grateful Dead to Rise in New York Exhibition

2009-10-02 15:50:07.587 GMT

By Dave Itzkoff

Oct. 2 (New York Times) -- Though the Grateful Dead are most

closely associated with the Haight-Ashbury district of San

Francisco, the Upper West Side of Manhattan can briefly lay claim

to that industrious and ever-evolving band in the weeks and

months ahead. In March, the New-York Historical Society will open

an exhibition on the Grateful Dead that will trace its history

and cultural influence. In a release, the society said that the

exhibition, to be called "The Grateful Dead: Now Playing at the

New-York Historical Society," would feature artwork, posters,

marionettes and other stage props as well as banners and

decorated fan mail from throughout the band's 30-year career.

Prior to its opening, the society will hold a fundraising event

that will be attended by the Grateful Dead members Phil Lesh and

Bob Weir, where items from the Grateful Dead Archive at the

University of California, Santa Cruz, will be previewed. More

information on that event, which is scheduled for Oct. 21, will

be available online at nyhistory.org.

Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company