I'll go on record as saying '87 was the funnest year I ever had on tour (not drug-related). Spring and Summer Tour, hell the whole year, was a celebration. Jerry was very much in the process of regaining his chops, so there was VERY little hard core jamming but the fact that he was BACK and they weren't FINISHED - plus the whole "In The Dark" breakout made for a very exciting time.

By '88 the thing had got too big imo. But for a brief moment I felt vindicated - we could make this thing BIG and we might emerge unscathed - WRONG. :ohwell

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd share with you all my grateful dead game, all u need is one computer with i-tunes radio, under classic rock find radioioDead, crack one beer, take one or two puffs (optionalof course), the station doesn't play entire sets or shows, mostly just live songs from different eras, on what I imagine is just some kind of shuffle, so, the object of the game is to simply guess the year of the performance, once you've decided on a year, look at i-tunes, it will say 9-10-90 for example, I'd say I nail it 3 out of 5 times, I mostly struggle with the 90's, I know its the 90's but not exact year, but then there's give aways like listening for hornsby or something. It's a fun way to test your grateful geekyness, which I apparently have plenty of! Play on!

Currently listening to this awesome Charlie Miller production.

I'm seeding here http://www.shnflac.net/details.php?id=6ae9539af4e1f8a306f583596ce031ed26f820cf

You can give a listen here.

mp3 sample

Grateful Dead - May 20, 1973

Campus Stadium - Santa Barbara, CA

University Of California

Recording Info:

SBD -> Master Reel (7 inch reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk) -> Dat -> CD

Transfer Info:

CD -> EAC -> Samplitude Professional v9.11 -> FLAC

(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller

charliemiller87@earthlink.net

Set 1:

d1t01 - Bertha

d1t02 - Me And My Uncle

d1t03 - Box Of Rain

d1t04 - Deal

d1t05 - Looks Like Rain

d1t06 - Tennessee Jed

d1t07 - The Race Is On

d1t08 - China Cat Sunflower ->

d1t09 - I Know You Rider

d1t10 - Beat It On Down The Line

d1t11 - They Love Each Other

d2t01 - Playing In The Band

Set 2:

d2t02 - The Promised Land

d2t03 - Brown Eyed Women

d2t04 - Mexicali Blues

d2t05 - Row Jimmy

d2t06 - Jack Straw

d2t07 - Big Railroad Blues

d2t08 - Greatest Story Ever Told

d2t09 - Here Comes Sunshine

d2t10 - Big River

d2t11 - Loser

d3t01 - El Paso

d3t02 - Casey Jones

Set 3:

d3t03 - Truckin' ->

d3t04 - Nobody's Fault But Mine Jam ->

d3t05 - Drums ->

d3t06 - The Other One ->

d3t07 - Eyes Of The World ->

d3t08 - Stella Blue

d3t09 - Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

d3t10 - Johnny B. Goode

Thought I'd share with you all my grateful dead game, all u need is one computer with i-tunes radio, under classic rock find radioioDead, crack one beer, take one or two puffs (optionalof course), the station doesn't play entire sets or shows, mostly just live songs from different eras, on what I imagine is just some kind of shuffle, so, the object of the game is to simply guess the year of the performance, once you've decided on a year, look at i-tunes, it will say 9-10-90 for example, I'd say I nail it 3 out of 5 times, I mostly struggle with the 90's, I know its the 90's but not exact year, but then there's give aways like listening for hornsby or something. It's a fun way to test your grateful geekyness, which I apparently have plenty of! Play on!

I like games. There was a guy over on dead.net that used to host a "Name That Tune" type deal where he'd play a snippet of the intro of a tune. That's my kind of game.

Thanks, Aman, for delivering this very sad news. I knew (from speaking with David and others in his band) that John had been not well for quite some time, but this is still a shock to me.

I had the privilege of seeing McDuke with the NRPS in '89 here in Indy. Got to meet him after the show (where my friend Ron bestowed upon "Ol' Panama" some of our Hoosier 'gardening expertise'). He was a very engaging, gracious, and witty fellow. It was one of the great nights of my life.

He was SUCH a big part of NRPS. I've seen the David/Buddy band from the last 5 years a few times, but John's vocals and energy were missing. The guy was a big reason why I became interested in country-flavored rock music in the first place. What a GREAT yodeler!!!! Check out "Little Old Lady" from NRPS sets from the mid/late '70s for a prime example.

SO many tunes in the NRPS canon are uniquely his - "All I Ever Wanted" "Portland Woman" "Should've Seen Me Runnin'" "One Too Many Stories" - man, I could go on and on.

RIP Marmaduke. I'll miss you brother.

Link

July 27 - August 2, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we have 22 years of Grateful Dead history to cover, from 1966 to 1988, with a few cool things in between.

Our first stop this week is in Vancouver, BC, Canada, the first ever Grateful Dead concerts outside of the state of California. From the second show in Vancouver, on 7/30/66, we have a good batch of the music from the PNE Hall, Standing On The Corner, I Know You Rider, Next Time You See Me, Sitting On Top Of The World, You Don't Have To Ask, Big Boss Man, Stealin', Cardboard Cowboy, Baby Blue, Cream Puff, Viola Lee Blues, which covers most of the cool stuff that was part of the band's repertoire at the time.

Next up, from 7/27/73, we have the Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam. The day before the big Grateful Dead-Allman Brothers-The Band concert on 7/28/73, the Dead played an entire show as a “soundcheck” for those who'd arrived early, and they tossed in this stunning piece of pure improvisational magic.

We'll next head over to Red Rocks near Denver, where the band would be playing the second night of a three night run on 7/28/82, and from that show's second set we have Althea, Let It Grow>He's Gone>Truckin', a bit of a unique sequence with the second set versions of Althea and Let It Grow.

Lastly this week, we have music from Laguna Seca, CA on 7/29/88, one of the most unique and intriguing sequences of music from 1988, consisting of China Cat Sunflower>Crazy Fingers>I Know You Rider, Playing In The Band. The two things to note are the split China>Rider (VERY rare) and the complete Playing In The Band, including the song’s reprise with nothing in between, something that was common in 1972-1974, but exceedingly rare after 1974. Cool stuff.

Be sure to stop by next week for, yes, more excellent Grateful Dead music. Thanks for listening, and feel free to write with questions or comments about the Tapers’ Section to the address below.

David Lemieux

That 7/29/88 Playin' is truly unique for that time period. It's on the "So Many Roads" box set, yes? There is a total meltdown in there that is almost impossible to describe - it's so weird, and Brent just freaks completely out! Great stuff for the latter period of Dead music. Especially in '88 - they still weren't going outside too often yet (that would come in '89-'90).

Grateful Dead Live at Roosevelt Stadium on 1972-07-18

Set 1

Bertha

Me And My Uncle

Bird Song

The Promised Land

Sugaree

Black Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower ->

I Know You Rider

Jack Straw

Loser

Beat It On Down The Line

Stella Blue

El Paso

Casey Jones

Set 2

Playing In The Band

Brown Eyed Women

Tennessee Jed

Truckin' ->

Dark Star ->

Comes A Time

Sugar Magnolia

Set 3

Ramble On Rose

Greatest Story Ever Told

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo

Sing Me Back Home

Not Fade Away ->

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->

Not Fade Away

Encore

One More Saturday Night

New releases at Dead.net:

Road Trips Volume 2 Number 4 - Cal Expo '93

Jerry Garcia Band: San Francisco Bay Area 1978

You can listen to some of it here.

That 7/29/88 Playin' is truly unique for that time period. It's on the "So Many Roads" box set, yes? There is a total meltdown in there that is almost impossible to describe - it's so weird, and Brent just freaks completely out! Great stuff for the latter period of Dead music. Especially in '88 - they still weren't going outside too often yet (that would come in '89-'90).

outside meaning outdoors? or outside reality? :D I dunno, I am east coaster and saw lots of outdoor shows, beginning with SPAC in 85

I enjoyed 1988, hampton, centrum, in the spring

and one of my favorite trips of my life

spac, rochester, oxford maine

they still sounded good in 88'!!!

this show has always been my go to-

5-1-70 alfred, ny

Acoustic Set

1. The Race Is On

2. Wake Up Little Susie

3. New Speedway Boogie

4. Cold Jordan

5. Uncle John's Band

Electric Set

1. Not Fade Away

2. Hard To Handle

3. Cryptical Envelopment>

4. Drums>

5. The Other One>

6. Cryptical Envelopment

7. High Time

8. Turn on Your Lovelight

or

2/21/71

Capitol Theatre;

port chester, NY.

Disc 1:

1. Cold Rain & Snow

2. Me & Bobby McGee

3. Loser

4. Easy Wind

5. Playing In The Band

6. Bertha

7. Me & My Uncle

8. Ripple (take 1)

9. Ripple

10. Next Time You See Me

11. Sugar Magnolia

Disc 2:

1. Greatest Story

2. Johnny B. Goode

3. China Cat

4. Bird Song

5. Cumberland blues

6. King Bee

7. Beat It On Down The Line

8. Wharf Rat

Disc 3:

1. Truckin

2. Casey Jones

3. Good Lovin'

4. Uncle John's Band

outside meaning outdoors? or outside reality? :D I dunno, I am east coaster and saw lots of outdoor shows, beginning with SPAC in 85

I enjoyed 1988, hampton, centrum, in the spring

and one of my favorite trips of my life

spac, rochester, oxford maine

they still sounded good in 88'!!!

I assume mb means outside "the box."

I did that leg (as well as the Alpine and Buckeye leg) and those Oxford shows were smokin'. The Green Onions in Rochester was fun, too. Garcia sported a blazer for that show, iirc.

8/3/02 - Alpine Valley WI

I: He's Gone tease > Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Feel Like A Stranger, Bird Song, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Aiko-Aiko, Estimated Prophet, Casey Jones

II: The Music Never Stopped, Baba Jingo, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Morning Dew, Dark Star > Born Cross-Eyed > Dark Star > Cryptical Envelopment, One More Saturday Night

E: Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower

"Terrapin Station: A Grateful Dead Family Reunion" - Lesh, Weir, Kreutzmann, Hart, Barraco, Chementi and Herring

Lammy (or anyone else, for that matter) - did you go to these shows? I did not, but I taped this night from WXRT - nice sounding tapes!

These were the first shows with the "core four" since the '98 Other Ones tour, and the first since Mickey's 'foot in mouth disease' episode (re:Phil). Pretty decent stuff here. So nice that they didn't use the obvious choice of the Bay Area, and decided to go with Alpine - scene of many a fantastic Summer Tour.

Some of Jimmy's playing is so unreal - what a guy! I got to meet the guy about a month earlier (on P&F Tour) and he was so humble I could hardly believe it. He can play ANYTHING.

Didn't make that Alpine show ^ but have always been a little put off by the treatment of Vince (not invited even though it was billed as a "Family Reunion" with "Surviving Members of the Grateful Dead"). Friends who went said Welnick was set up either in the lot or across the street playing tunes. Sad.

I was able to make it to the Terrapin Station shows. It was a very festive weekend. It was my first Dead related show since 1995 and I was just happy to be there and see the guys play again. The first show, though I had a lawn ticket, I was able to get down to first 15 or so rows and sat with some very nice people who had everything one can possibly imagine. The whole weekend was a bit like that. It was a very long few days.

I thought the playing was great. It was nice to see Hunter play, though I must admit his solo playing is not my cup of tea. But it was great to see him play none the less. Ratdog's performance was pretty good too. I missed Phil's set because we decided to stay in the lot a bit longer that day. Great weekend.

Link

August 3 - August 9, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Greetings, and welcome back to the Tapers’ Section, where we explore music from this week in the Grateful Dead’s recorded history. This week we have a couple of bits from 1971 and one big jam from 1989.

Our first stop this week is at the Terminal Island Correction Facility near LA, where the Grateful Dead were performing for their friend and longtime sound genius, Owsley, on 8/4/71. From that concert we have the Lovelight from the end of the show.

Next up, from the first night at the Hollywood Palladium, on 8/5/71, we have the big jam (plus two shorter song), which oddly was in the first set this night, consisting of That’s It For The Other One>Wharf Rat, Me and Bobby McGee, Casey Jones. The next night, 8/6/71, is a little more famous due to this stunning Hard To Handle, which is one of the finest versions of this song ever played.

Our last stop this week is to Cal Expo, for the start of the second set on 8/4/89, the first night of a three night run at this fine little venue in Sacramento. From that show, we have the very unique sequence of Truckin'>Wang Dang Doodle>Crazy Fingers>Cumberland>Eyes of the World. This really was a terrific run of shows, something that was quite common at Cal Expo.

Be sure to stop in next week for music from 1972, 1979 and 1982. It’s always great to see you here, and feel free to write with questions or comments to the email address below.

David Lemieux

Wow. I've never heard that Cal Expo show. Crazy Fingers > Cumberland > Eyes? Now THAT'S what I call an unexpected run of tunes!

It was nice to see Hunter play, though I must admit his solo playing is not my cup of tea. But it was great to see him play none the less.

I saw him open for Jerry once and, well, it was horrible. I have great respect for the man, but Jerry never sounded so good.

I've seen Hunter a few times and always appreciate it. I like how he and Garcia interpret the same songs differently. I tend to think of RH as more of a troubador/story-teller than a musician.

Dick Latvala - July 26, 1943 - August 6, 1999.

Ten years gone. Everyone who collects live concert tapes (especially GD) should give thanks and hoist a Heineken in honor of THE MAN. NO ONE knew the Dead's music better - even the band members themselves!

RIP Dick. Wherever you are, I'm sure there's some Heinies and some Wowie goin' down. :cheers

14 years ago today. :ohwell We might have covered this before, but where were you when you got the news?

RIP Jer - still nary a day goes by that I don't miss ya. :wub