• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Gans Blog:

Jerry Moore interview on Sirius XM

June 4th, 2009

I interviewed Jerry Moore for the Grateful Dead Channel in January 2008. We’re rebroadcasting that conversation this weekend: Saturday 10 am ET and Sunday 8 pm ET

The Grateful Dead Channel is on Sirius 32 and XM 57.

Tags: Jerry Moore

Posted in GD Channel on Sirius XM, General discussion | No Comments »

Harvey Lubar remembers Jerry Moore

June 3rd, 2009

Harvey Lubar, from private correspondence, posted here with permission:

I don’t know where to even begin.

Jerry and I were very close in college (we both went to Lehman in the Bronx), took courses together, and he was a member of the Hell’s Honkies Tape Club (there were only four of us). I drove Jerry to many of the concerts he taped in 1973 and 1974, and it always drove him nuts that you could hear me briefly talking between songs.

We first met in Oct. 1972 when he answered a notice I taped on a wall in the Student Union at Lehman looking to trade tapes. We hung out at each other’s houses a lot and Jerry was far more aggressive in taping shows than I would ever be. Quite frankly, I was too neurotic and would never enjoy a show I taped.

Jerry eventually got to know Les Kippel and they became close, starting Dead Relix together. I took out an ad in the first few issues and Jerry took out separate ads. Lots of people contacted us and we were off to the races. Pat Lee was one of those who also had a business card for tape trading, and it has been my pleasure to call Pat a friend since 1973 or 74.

I will never forget the expression on Jerry’s face when he first bought the Sony TC 152 in early 1974. Boy, he loved that machine, and Jerry had the knack for finding the sweet spot for the best sound. He particularly loved the first row of the loge or balcony (can’t remember which) of the Academy of Music, later called the Palladium.

After college (June 1975) Jerry and I went our separate ways. I didn’t see him again until the Dead shows in Sept. 1990 at MSG. We spoke for a few minutes and then the show started. We bumped into each other only a few times after that but I will always cherish (and I don’t use that term lightly) those times we spent together in college.

Not too long ago, I misinterpreted something Jerry wrote on Lossless Legs and I thought there was going to be a bit of an online battle. He was a master of the English language and I would have lost that one REAL QUICK. Instead, we hashed things out off-list and the emails were hysterical.

Most people don’t know that Jerry was born in Northern Ireland. I loved to tease him about William of Orange and Orange Day and he would get on my case about being Jewish. It was classic crap between two 19-year-olds and it makes me feel so sad that we didn’t remain closer. We will certainly miss Jerry but his recordings will go on forever, making Jerry immortal. Good for him!

Harvey

From Jambands.com:

Relix Co-Founder Jerry Moore: 1953-2009

Earlier this week Jerry Moore, a veteran Grateful Dead taper and the first editor of Relix, passed away in his sleep. He was 56.

Moore co-founded Relix in 1974 and served as the magazine’s editor until 1977, when Jeff Tamarkin took the magazine’s editorial reigns. Grateful Dead historian David Gans offered the following on the magazine co-founder:

This week our community lost one of its great characters. Jerry Moore was one of the original Grateful Dead tapers, working his fiendish magic in the days when recording shows entailed coming up with clever ways to get your gear into the venue and then dodging the baleful eye - and wire cutters - of the roadies. Jerry was also a co-founder, with Les Kippel, of Relix Magazine, which began as an outgrowth of the Grateful Dead Free Underground Tape Exchange.

Jerry Moore was an active poster on DeadNet Central, almost a stereotype of the poetic Irish soul but with a bit of a psychedelic edge to his tone. He was as generous as could be with the fruits of his audio labors - the Grateful Dead collection on archive.org is loaded with shows he made available from his stash of masters. We've had his audience master of 5/8/77 in the library for quite a while, and we'll be adding more in the weeks to come. Jerry provided what many consider to be the definitive recordings of quite a few great Dead concerts - June 23, 1974 in Miami being perhaps his greatest achievement.

The posters on DeadNet Central were shocked to hear the news on Wednesday, because he was involved in several colorful conversations there right up until his last hour on Earth.

Jerry Moore will be missed by his many friends and loved ones. His legacy is in the recordings he shared with the world; we will cherish that music and his memory forever.

Gans will re-broadcast his January, 2008 interview with Moore on Sirius XM’s Grateful Dead Channel this weekend. The interview will air at both Saturday at 10 AM EST and Sunday at 8 PM EST. Please click here for more from Gans over Moore's life and legacy.

Taper's Section Link

June 1 - June 7, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Greetings and welcome back to our end-of-the-month, start-of-the-next Tapers’ Section, where this week we’ll play music from 1970, 1974 and 1980.

As we don’t play too much acoustic Grateful Dead here at the Tapers’ Section, owing largely to its dearth in the Grateful Dead’s vault, it’s always a pleasure to bring you some good acoustic music. From 6/4/70, the first night of a four night run at the Fillmore West, we have the opening set consisting of Deep Elem Blues, Candyman, Silver Threads And Golden Needle, Friend Of The Devil, Black Peter, Cumberland Blues, Wake Up Little Susie, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Uncle John's Band, a classic acoustic Dead set.

Next up, from two nights later at the same venue, we have some tasty electric Grateful Dead from 6/6/70, featuring Dire Wolf>Alligator>Drums>Lovelight>Not Fade Away>Lovelight>Uncle John's Band. It’s interesting to hear this electric Uncle John’s Band compared to the acoustic version from two nights earlier. There were a few songs from the era that the band could effortlessly shift from the acoustic sets to the electric sets and back, including Candyman and Dire Wolf.

From just a bit under 10 years later, in Minneapolis on 5/31/80, we have the second set opening sequence of Feel Like A Stranger, Ship, Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Jam>Wharf Rat>The Other One. I always love these pre-Drums versions of The Other One, and a pre-Drums Wharf Rat is a major rarity for the era.

Finally this week, to celebrate the anniversary of the theatrical release of The Grateful Dead Movie, which premiered at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York on June 1, 1977, we have this majestic version of Playing In The Band from the Movie, recorded live on 10/16/74 at Winterland. This is the complete half hour version of the song.

We’ll see you next week here at the Tapers’ Section where we’ll have more great music drawn from the Grateful Dead’s recorded history. As always, we encourage you to write to the email address below with questions or comments.

David Lemieux

Ahhh...it's great to be back here. My first post-hiatus post, and I KNEW Aman was gonna fix me up with some cool info. Thanks, man. :cheers

Taper's Section Link

June 8 - June 14, 2009

Greetings, and welcome back to another fine week (we think…) at the Tapers' Section, where we'll listen to some of our favourite material from 1969, 1973, 1977 and 1984.

Our first selection this week is from the Fillmore West in San Francisco, during the course of another of the fine four night runs the band played at this mighty fine little venue. From 6/8/69, we have the very hot 1969 sequence of Dancing In The Street, He Was A Friend of Mine>China Cat Sunflower>New Potato Caboose. This is the final live Grateful Dead version of New Potato Caboose, and although not the level of some of the exquisite mid-1968 versions, it a good listen nonetheless.

Next we have one of the most famous jams of 1973, the sequence of Dark Star>He's Gone>Wharf Rat>Truckin'from 6/10/73 at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. They didn't play too many shows in the late spring and summer of 1973, but when the Grateful Dead did convene, magic usually transpired. This jam is certainly one of the best, most inspired and unique of a very, very good era.

From four years less a day later, we have the big second set jam from 6/9/77 at Winterlnd in San Francisco, on the final night of a very good three night run at Winterland. This jam, consisting of Estimated Prophet>St. Stephen>Not Fade Away>St. Stephen>Terrapin Station>Sugar Magnolia, US Blues, One More Saturday Night, is a great way to cap off one of the finest six week periods in Grateful Dead, from 4/22/77 to 6/9/77. This Winterland show would be the last Grateful Dead concert for three months, with the band picking back up right where they left off when they returned to the stage on 9/3/77 at Englishtown with yet another exceptional 1977 concert.

Lastly this week, and I believe we may have played this jam before here at the Tapers’ Section, to celebrate its 25th Anniversary, we have the Red Rocks jam from 6/14/84 featuring Shakedown Street>Playing In The Band>Dear Mr. Fantasy, with this being the first-ever live Dear Mr. Fantasy by the Grateful Dead. The way they fall into Fantasy from the Playing In The Band spacey jam has always been one of my favourite little Grateful Dead moments. It might not be perfect, but it’s right.

Make sure you stop in next week for more great music, including selections from 1974, 1990, 1991. See you here, we hope.

David Lemieux

Posted at Dead.net

Summertime Is Comin’ On (My, Oh My)! One Dead Show, Lots of Solo Stuff in the Offing

By Blair Jackson

If you’re kicking yourself because you didn’t get to see The Dead on their red-hot spring tour, you have one last chance to see them—at the Rothbury Festival in beautiful rural Michigan, on July 4. After that, it’s highly unlikely the group will perform together again in 2009, though most of the band members will all be criss-crossing America in different groups this summer.

Contrary to any rumor you might have heard, this really is going to be the only Dead appearance for the foreseeable future, so… what the hell? See you in Michigan for the 4th of July? (Last year there were great fireworks, too!) For more info about this year’s festivities, and about the ideas and ideals behind the event, go to www.rothburyfestival.com.

Taper's Section Link

June 15 - June 21, 2009

Greetings and big welcome back to the Tapers' Section as we hit the end of Spring. We have some excellent music this week from Grateful Dead concerts in 1974, 1990 and 1991.

Our first selection this week is from Des Moines, IA, the second and last annual show at the Fairgrounds, after the excellent 5/13/73 concert. From this great show on 6/16/74 we have the end of the second set, featuring Truckin'>Wharf Rat, Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad. This show and the next show in Louisville on 6/18/74 are a great one-two punch on the start of what would be a short but excellent tour.

Next up, from 16 years later at Shoreline Amphittheatre in Mountain View, CA on 6/16/90, we have the end of the first set, featuring Mama Tried>Big River, Friend of the Devil, Cassidy, Big Boss Man, One More Saturday Night, the last two of which are a little unique in that Bog Boss Man was very rare by 1990, and OMSN was rarely heard in the first set. This is part of the complete-show DVD View From The Vault Vol. 3, so if you want to see a fun, intriguing show (GREAT second set), check it out.

Finally this week, from 6/19/91 at Pine Knob Music Theatre near Detroit, we have the end of the second set, consisting of Space>Stella Blue>The Other One>Johnny B. Goode, Mighty Quinn. I absolutely love this sequence for a few reasons: the Stella Blue out of Space is pretty cool and quite unique (they'd done it a few days before on 6/14/91); The Other One is outstanding, with Phil and Jerry playing wonderfully around one another; and Johnny B. Goode out of The Other One is very unique. Mighty Quinn is also a bit of a rarity here. Add to this the two-keyboardist lineup featuring Vince and Bruce, and you have a dynamic, inspired Grateful Dead.

Be sure to check in next week for more great music, specifically from 1973, 1990 and 1991. As always, we encourage you to write to us here at the Tapers' Section at the email address below. Thanks for stopping by.

David Lemieux

YAY! 6/16 & 18 are VERY fine shows...legendary, even. AND I just got an email saying those were the next shows for the next Road Trips volume!

Man, I hope that includes the 6/18 Eyes & the jam out of O1 - that is some of the best of June '74 (imo).

YAY! 6/16 & 18 are VERY fine shows...legendary, even. AND I just got an email saying those were the next shows for the next Road Trips volume!

Man, I hope that includes the 6/18 Eyes & the jam out of O1 - that is some of the best of June '74 (imo).

It looks like it will include the 6/18 Eyes and jam out of 01. They are really getting these Road Trips out pretty fast and furious.

Track List

Disc 1

Recorded live at State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA, 6/16/74

1. China Cat Sunflower>

2. I Know You Rider

3. The Race Is On

4. Eyes Of The World>

5. Big River

6. U.S. Blues

7. Playing In The Band

Disc 2

Recorded live at Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, 6/18/74

1. Loose Lucy

2. Eyes Of The World>

3. China Doll

4. Weather Report Suite>

5. Jam>

6. Other One>

7. It's A Sin Jam>

8. Stella Blue

Bonus Disc

1. Morning Dew (6/18/74)

2. Around and Around (6/18/74)

3. Deal (6/16/74)

4. Greatest Story Ever Told (6/16/74)

5. Truckin'> (6/16/74)

6. Nobody's Jam> (6/16/74)

7. Wharf Rat (6/16/74)

8. GDTRFB (6/16/74)

9. Sugar Magnolia (6/18/74)

so can't say I was ever a fan of the song "Easy Answers" but that changed yesterday. I got a copy of Rob Wasserman's Trio's album (also features branford, hornsby and jerry) and there is a cut of Weir doing "Easy Answers" with Wasserman and Neil Young. Its a dam shame they didn't record more together.

That Louisville Eyes might be my favorite piece of recorded Grateful Dead music. It was one of my earliest tapes and one I listened to a million times. I love those percussive breaks from the '74 Eyes. I wonder when and why they stopped them.

The JJ blog uploaded most shows from 69-70 someone in the know want to let me in on the must haves?

jc4 - I always thought "Easy Answers" was a fucking snoozefest during its run in the GD rotation ('93-'95), but the Other Ones tour in '98 showed me what the possiblities of the song were. Adding a horn, along with the rest of the lineup, really fleshed the thing out. The 7/15/98 show at Deer Creek is a very worthy example - there were points of it that reminded me of the A Live One version of "Tweezer" - very abstract, yet still rhythmic.

Ratdog used to to some great versions of easy answers when wass was in the band-not so much anymore since robin joined-check this one out with DJ logic scratching away:

4th and B, San Diego, CA 12/27/01

I: Jam > Feel Like a Stranger > Maggie's Farm, Youngblood, Easy Answers, Love Supreme Jam@4 > The Winners@4 > When I Paint My Masterpiece@4>6 > Bury Me Standing > Iko Iko

II: The In Crowd > Lucky Enough > Wrong Way Feelin', I Need a Miracle > Hell in a Bucket, Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1@ > Let It Grow@ > Bass/Drums > Jam > Iko Iko > Two Djinn > Throwing Stones

E: U.S. Blues

*-with DJ Logic (Turntables); DJ Logic sat out "Love Supreme Jam" through "Masterpiece"

Only ''The In Crowd''

http://www.archive.org/details/ratdog2001-12-27.sbd.shnf

"Grateful Dead Symphony", Conner Prarie Farm, Noblesville IN 6/20/09

Lucas Richman, Conductor - Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

Setlist: Dead Overture, Saint Stephen, Here Comes Sunshine, Mountains Of The Moon, Blues For Allah, Sugar Magnolia, To Lay Me Down, If I Had The World To Give, Stella Blue > Bird Song, China Doll, Dead Finale

Poca took me down to this. It was the soothing balm I needed for my frazzled nerve endings from last night's crazy night of the Phish! VERY laid back, enjoyable evening - bring your coolers in, no security to speak of, etc. etc.

After the overture things started off VERY nicely with Stephen - the "speedy arrow" section was wonderful, the orchestra loved it so much they did the section twice! HC Sunshine was a bit harder to discern the tune - the little "music box" opening was clearly identifiable but the rest not so much. Mts./Moon was another standout tune - that period of "baroque Dead" came off great. Allah was sweet, but I wished the freakout section would have gone on much longer. I was a bit puzzled as to how a jumpin' tune like Sugar Mags would come off, but it was handled very well.

If I Had The World was definitely the most obscure tune played on this night, but all the ballads led themselves to great interpretation - Stella, of course was so sweet, and led into a VERY atonal opening to Bird Song. The orchestra captured the lilting vibe of the tune very well. China Doll finished things up so nicely I was wishing the thing would roll on for another set!

Evidently (according to the conductor, who wore tye-die for the evening) Mountain Girl herself caught this stuff in Baltimore and loved it. I can see why - much of the Dead's material lends itself to this kind of treatment. I was a bit bummed that there was no sighting of Terrapin. That tune is so ripe for an orchestar treatment, but oh well.

If this thing comes near you don't miss out - it was a very pleasant evening.

thanks for that review, mountain bed. an orchestral GD show sounds very appealing, especially now after a rough day at work. hope these guys make it over to NC soon. looks like there's a Russian GD symphony with a cd out that you can order through dead.net. might have to check this out when i order the new Road Trips, which is sounding bad ass right now, thanks for the link to the listening party, A-Man. here's the link to the Russian symphony: http://www.deadsymphony.com/

edit- are these the guys you caught, mountain bed? looks like the track list for their cd is exactly the same as the setlist to the show you attended.

Taper's Section Link

June 22 - June 28, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers Section, where this week we’ll begin our summer proceedings with some tasty Grateful Dead music from 1973, 1990 and 1991.

Our first stop on this week’s journey is at the Memorial Coliseum on 6/24/73 in beautiful Portland, OR, a venue that is the former home of the Trail Blazers (they’ve since moved to the bigger Rose Garden across the plaza in Portland’s Rose Quarter) and current home of the WHL’s Winter Hawks hockey team. This is the second show on a short six show tour in the Summer of 1973, and this week we’ll feature Mississippi Half-Step, You Ain't Woman Enough, El Paso, Stella Blue, Greatest Story Ever Told, Bertha, all of which are played extremely well.

Heading north on I-5 for a stop on 6/26/73 in Seattle ( a bit of odd scheduling, as the show before Portland was on 6/22/73 in Vancouver, Canada), we have music from the Seattle Center Arena with a nice batch of music featuring The Race Is One, Cumberland, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, BIODTL, Loser, Playing In The Band. As usual for this era, Playing In The Band is a nice springboard to some outstanding improvisational music, with a terrific mix that prominently displays the talents of Bobby, Jerry, Phil and Billy, with Keith occasionally popping up with some interesting stuff.

Jumping ahead 17 years, but staying in the Pacific Northwest, we have music from the first of two night’s at Eugene, OR’s Autzen Stadium, on 6/23/90. These two concerts were scheduled quite late, as the weekend was originally scheduled elsewhere in California, but fire dangers prevented those shows happening, so Eugene was booked. The shows started at noon on beautiful summer days, with Little Feat opening from 12 to 1, then the Grateful Dead from about 2 to 5. After the shows, there was plenty of time to take a canoe ride down the river beside the stadium, grab a nice meal, see a movie, and be back at the hotel by 11 PM. And the shows were terrific. From the opening of the second set on the first night, we have Eyes of the World>Looks Like Rain>Crazy Fingers>Playing In The Band>Uncle John’s Band>Playing In The Band. This is one of the longest pre-Drums sequences of the era, clocking in at around 55 minutes. Even those of us using 110 minute cassettes to record the concerts were sweating it at the time.

Finally this week, from an amazing Grateful Dead show on 6/22/91 in Chicago, we have the opening trio of songs, featuring Hell In A Bucket>Shakedown Street>Wang Dang Doodle. There really was some great music played at these concerts

We’ll look forward to seeing you here next week for more great music from 1970, 1987 and 1989. Thanks for stopping in, and feel free to write with questions or comments about the Tapers Section to the email address below.

David Lemieux

Link

June 29 - July 5, 2009

Welcome back to the Tapers Section as we close out June and start out July with some terrific Grateful Dead music from 1970, 1987 and 1989.

Our first stop this week is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, former home of Neil Young, Randy Bachman and Dale Hawerchuk. If you’re ever driving along the Trans Canada Highway, be sure to make a stop into Winnipeg. From the Festival Express concert on 7/1/70, we have a batch of songs, some acoustic and some electric, including Candyman, Dire Wolf, Uncle John's Band, Me and My Uncle, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. There was plenty of good music played on this short tour, which unfortunately was two shows shorter than planned to due cancellations in Montreal (political unrest) and Vancouver (lack of funds).

Next up, also from Canada, on 6/30/87 at Kingswood Music Theatre just a bit north of Toronto, we have the end of the concert, featuring Spanish Jam>The Other One>China Doll>Dear Mr. Fantasy>Around and Around>Good Lovin', Box of Rain. This was such a magical night of music, and although most of the songs were rather short, the energy the band brought over the border was stunning. Truly one of the most interesting and well-received Grateful Dead concerts I ever attended. This music was drawn from the matrix tape (audience-soundboard audio blend) that is common of this era’s Grateful Dead recordings, but the music certainly does shine through.

Lastly this week, from just over the Canadian border on the US side, on 7/4/89 at Rich Stadium near Buffalo, NY, we have the end of the first set and start of the second set, specifically Stagger Lee, Looks Like Rain>Deal, Touch of Grey>Women Are Smarter. This music is part of the wonderful DVD release Truckin’ Up To Buffalo, which features some of the most inspired and enthusiastic Grateful Dead music captured on video, all produced into a wonderful 5.1 surround sound mix.

Next week we’ll have exceptional Grateful Dead music from 1984 and 1989. Don’t miss it if you can help it. And we encourage you to write to the email address below with any questions or comments.

David Lemieux

I forgot to mention that I received the DVD of Fillmore: The Last Days the other day. The quality is pretty good - no out takes that I can see, unless there are Easter Eggs. I think it is a pretty bare bones release. There is an essay by Ben Fong-Torres in the foldout booklet, that is about it. It would have been nice to see more Dead, Quicksilver,etc. I think Bill was managing Cold Blood, so that is why there is so much footage of them in the film. At least, I think I read that somewhere.

I forgot to mention that I received the DVD of Fillmore: The Last Days the other day. The quality is pretty good - no out takes that I can see, unless there are Easter Eggs. I think it is a pretty bare bones release. There is an essay by Ben Fong-Torres in the foldout booklet, that is about it. It would have been nice to see more Dead, Quicksilver,etc. I think Bill was managing Cold Blood, so that is why there is so much footage of them in the film. At least, I think I read that somewhere.

Nice! I need to get this asap. I think you are right about Graham managing Cold Blood.

It's really too bad there is little or no footage of the ORIGINAL QMS - at the time of this film they had been pretty much taken over by Dino, who, although he wrote some good tunes, was an egomaniac of the highest degree.

Nice! I need to get this asap. I think you are right about Graham managing Cold Blood.

It's really too bad there is little or no footage of the ORIGINAL QMS - at the time of this film they had been pretty much taken over by Dino, who, although he wrote some good tunes, was an egomaniac of the highest degree.

I know some people don't care for his vocals. I like some of the songs he did with them. That song Fresh Air, is alright. That guy wrote a lot of well know songs - and sold them off, if I recall correctly.