Well, the Indy show I saw that year (6/30) is possibly the best show I ever saw of the GD. No shit.

The Maine shows in October are superb as well.

at least release a cryptical from 85.

btw-was gonna download some recent ratdog shows. i just love to hear bob's guitar as much as jerry. such a compelling rhythm guitar player. unfortunately, that band sounds like a train wreck. do they practice? have they ever practiced?

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at least release a cryptical from 85.

btw-was gonna download some recent ratdog shows. i just love to hear bob's guitar as much as jerry. such a compelling rhythm guitar player. unfortunately, that band sounds like a train wreck. do they practice? have they ever practiced?

i take back my comment about ratdog. i listened to a recent playin' and it was great. bob really seems to be into just one long jam with out real soloing, but collective improve. i like it i think:)

btw, anyone remember that other ones disc that came out 10 years ago. i loved it. i love bruce singing jerry songs:)

btw, anyone remember that other ones disc that came out 10 years ago. i loved it. i love bruce singing jerry songs:)

Hell yeah. "Only The Strange Remain". I enjoyed those discs. It was great to hear the Aoxomoxoa songs on there, seeing how I never saw the GD do 'em. MOTM was lovely.

I only wish the Easy Answers from Deer Creek (7/15/98) would have been on there. God, I could not stand that tune when the Dead did it - but the version TOO did that night was so far out I gained a new appreciation for the song.

Hell yeah. "Only The Strange Remain". I enjoyed those discs. It was great to hear the Aoxomoxoa songs on there, seeing how I never saw the GD do 'em. MOTM was lovely.

I only wish the Easy Answers from Deer Creek (7/15/98) would have been on there. God, I could not stand that tune when the Dead did it - but the version TOO did that night was so far out I gained a new appreciation for the song.

i wanna say that Easy Answers showed up on one of those Furthur sampler? can't remember. concerning the otherones, i loved the bruce songs they did. also, they were the most rehearsed i ever saw any incarnation of the band.

Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings

NOTE: This item is available as a pre-order and will be shipped by October 1st.

Product Details:

· 9-CD set featuring three consecutive Winterland shows (over 9 hours of music)

· Mind-bending artwork from acclaimed artist Emek

· 28-page booklet with essay by David Fricke

· EXCLUSIVE bonus disc for early

Taper's Section - September 14 - September 20, 2009

As we roll through the middle of September here at the Tapers' Section, we have some excellent music from 1972 and 1990 for you.

As we may have mentioned previously here at the Tapers' Section, the Grateful Dead were scheduled to perform two concerts at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in upstate New York on September 15 and 16, 1972. However, local authorities, worried about the large rock and roll crowd that would swarm their little hamlet, prevented the shows from happening, and it would be more than a decade before the band was finally allowed to play this super cool little amphitheatre. Luckily, the band had enough time to reschedule the shows, and booked two nights at the Boston Music Hall, and from the first night, on 9/15/72, we have Promised Land, Sugaree, Greatest Story Ever Told, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Black Throated Wind. This is a magnificent tour, and there really isn't much not to like about 1972 Grateful Dead.

From the second show in Boston, on 9/16/72, we have more great material, featuring Big River, Bird Song, Mexicali Blues, Stella Blue, Jack Straw, Big Railroad Blues, Playing In The Band. Stunning stuff throughout.

From the very next night, on 9/17/72 in beautiful Charm City, USA, Baltimore, MD, we have the centerpiece of the second set, one of the finest and most intricately dynamic versions of The Other One ever performed, clocking in at nearly 40 minutes. This is part of Dick's Picks Vol. 23, a typically hot September, 1972 concert.

Lastly this week, from Madison Square Garden on 9/18/90, featuring the two keyboardist lineup of Vince and Bruce, we have second set music consisting of Eyes of the World>Estimated Prophet>Foolish Heart>Jam. This was part of the Bonus CD that was included with Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 1, so if you missed out on that, here it is. Plenty of stunning music on that release.

Be sure to stop by next week as head toward the end of September with music from the September 1972 tour that was featured so prominently this week. See you then, and in the meantime, feel free to write with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section to the address below.

David Lemieux

that complete Winterland '77 set looks too good. think i may wait to see if Amazon will offer it for something a little cheaper like they did with the Winterland '73 set. but, grrr...that track listing for the bonus disc looks sweet!

BONUS DISC: Chicago Auditorium Theater, May 12, 1977 (while supplies last)

1. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo>

2. Dancing In The Street

3. Terrapin Station>

4. Playing In The Band>

5. Drums>

6. Not Fade Away>

7. Comes A Time>

8. Playing In The Band

what was the standout DEAD show from this summer? i want to download one.

Well, there was only one summer show (rothbury). But from the spring tour I really enjoyed The second night at Worcester, I also liked both shows with branford sitting in (E. Ruthford).

Man, this thread has really lost steam. Hehehe.

I've been working like a dog since july thus my virtual disappearance.

I see no talk of the Further shows on here so I take it no one attended. I listened to a bit of Friday night but was thoroughly creeped out. I do not get the Fake Jerry (DSO) guy at all or why anyone would want to here some hack play with Jerry's tone and then mimic his vocals. I don't even feel like giving this clone a shot. Anyone else weired out by the whole thing?

I do not get the Fake Jerry (DSO) guy at all or why anyone would want to here some hack play with Jerry's tone and then mimic his vocals. I don't even feel like giving this clone a shot. Anyone else weired out by the whole thing?

I wouldn't go as far as calling the dude a "hack", but I do not get the whole DSO thing either. Like I wrote before, I only saw them once in the late 90's, so they were just starting out, but it was a bit boring. Obviously they have a bit of a following, so they must be doing something right. I would prefer to throw a tape on if I want to hear a particular Grateful Dead show. To each their own.

I haven't listened to either of the Further shows, yet.

I wouldn't go as far as calling the dude a "hack", but I do not get the whole DSO thing either. Like I wrote before, I only saw them once in the late 90's, so they were just starting out, but it was a bit boring. Obviously they have a bit of a following, so they must be doing something right. I would prefer to throw a tape on if I want to hear a particular Grateful Dead show. To each their own.

I haven't listened to either of the Further shows, yet.

I just find it to be insulting I guess, it seems Billy would agree from his comments on Jambase. There is more to the grateful dead then vocal phrasing and guitar tones. I just think its laughable that anyone could claim to "re-create the grateful dead experience". In a way its almost a knock at the dead in that "anyone could do it", as if there wasn't something special that took the music to the next level.

There just an over glorified bar band, that charges up to 40 dollars a head. If one were to say these guys "re-create" the experience, i would think they never actually got the music.

And I called John a hack because I don't see how there is any role for musical growth in the role he plays. He is an impersonator.

The Althea I heard from Friday night was freaky. And not in a good way. It was like there was a ghost in the room singing. I don't get it myself why Bob & Phil would enter into something like that. Its not coincidence that his vocals sound like Garcia. That has to be something he works at. Great player and I've seen DSO once and had a good time for what it was but Bob & Phil have tons of people to choose from. Maybe they were jonsin for a little live Jerry action. I don't see it.

And that Winterland Box Set looks sick! Way out of my price range at the moment though!

There just an over glorified bar band, that charges up to 40 dollars a head.

I whole heartily agree. But people are showing up for their gigs and I can't fault the band for trying to make a decent living.

And I called John a hack because I don't see how there is any role for musical growth in the role he plays. He is an impersonator.

I agree, but I guess he must be a pretty good impersonator with some skills, thus I wouldn't call him a hack.

I don't see anything wrong with a Grateful Dead cover band, even one that is as succesful as DSO. I can't imagine anybody could form a GD band and be successful at it without being big fans of the music, so for me that means there is an element of love and respect for the music. There is just something different about hearing the music live that people enjoy. Plus it's a chance to have fun and enjoy the music with fellow fans. What's wrong with that? as far as "re-creating the GD experience", that's all about marketing but it's about as close as you are going to get, isn't it?

Taper's Section September 21 - September 27, 2009

This week, the Tapers' Section is the place for you if you like Grateful Dead music from September 1972, which we expect you do. If not, you're welcome to come along for the ride and we're sure you'll hear something you dig.

Our first selection this week is from 9/21/72 in Philadelphia, music that is part of the final Pick of the Dick's Picks series, Vol. 36. We have a couple of the mid-sized jams from that show, Playing In The Band, He's Gone>Truckin. When this second jam didn't go into a monstrous Other One, where a He's Gone>Truckin' of the era usually went, you knew something was in store for later, and the Dark Star>Dew that came later sure proves that true.

Our next selection from 9/23/72 in Waterbury, CT, is a cool little sequence featuring a couple of rarities. The music, Baby Blue, Cryptical Envelopment>Drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat, features one of only three versions of Baby Blue played between 1970 and 1981 (the others were on 9/26/72 in Jersey City and 2/24/74 at Winterland), and the only Cryptical of 1972, and the final version until its return in 1985. As you know, we like to play not only historical anomalies here, but we try to give you as much historical background on these anomalies as we can. If you'd ever like clarification on any of our selections, feel free to write to the email address under my name, below.

Our final selection this week is also from Waterbury, CT, on 9/24/72, and features a bit of a unique sequence, Dark Star>China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. There's a cut on the master reels at the end of the jam, so our apologies for that. But, the part that IS there sure is good.

Please stop by again next week, when we'll have loads of music from 1976, plus a little taste of 1989. Email address below, which you're encouraged to write to with questions or comments.

David Lemieux

They are really turning out the products these days:

Grateful Dead Scrapbook: Deluxe Edition

You only thought you knew everything there is to know about the Dead. The Grateful Dead Scrapbook, helmed by veteran rock writer Ben-Fong Torres, takes you on a guided tour through the Grateful Dead’s entire musical career. The beautifully designed 64-page hardcover album includes never-before-published photos, removable reproductions and interactive features like backstage passes, fold-out psychedelic posters, the full program from the Dead’s unprecedented Egyptian concerts, a letter of “special” thanks from Hugh Hefner, an early bumper sticker, a hand-drawn record of every set list the band played for a year, and more.

Presented in a limited-edition embossed slipcase, each Deluxe Edition scrapbook is individually numbered and includes an original concert ticket, CD and DVD. The CD offers never-before-heard interviews with Jerry Garcia conducted by David Gans, the legendary host of Grateful Dead Radio Hour. The 95-minute DVD contains the official music video for “Hell In A Bucket,” a short film about the band by Robert Nelson recorded in 1968, plus five live clips filmed between 1972 and 1989. The rare video spotlights several freewheeling jams, including a 1989 East Rutherford, N.J. performance that intertwines “Shakedown Street,” “Jack Straw” and “West L.A. Fadeaway.”

The numbered slipcase, vintage concert ticket, and unreleased DVD are exclusive to Dead.net, so the only place to get the full package is right here.

DVD Track Listing:

1. Grateful Dead short film by Robert Nelson (1968)

2. “Hurts Me Too” – Copenhagen, Denmark (4/17/72)

3. “Estimated Prophet” – Passaic, NJ (11/24/78)

4. “China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider” – New York City, NY (10/29/80)

5. “Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain” – San Francisco, CA (12/27/83)

6. “Hell In A Bucket” – Official music video

7. “Shakedown Street>Jack Straw>West LA Fadeaway” – E. Rutherford, NJ (7/9/89)

Product Details:

· 64 pages of text, photos, and memorabilia

· CD of interviews with Jerry Garcia

· Exclusive DVD with live performances and more

· Authentic concert ticket

· Individually-numbered embossed slipcase

I don't see anything wrong with a Grateful Dead cover band, even one that is as succesful as DSO. I can't imagine anybody could form a GD band and be successful at it without being big fans of the music, so for me that means there is an element of love and respect for the music. There is just something different about hearing the music live that people enjoy. Plus it's a chance to have fun and enjoy the music with fellow fans. What's wrong with that? as far as "re-creating the GD experience", that's all about marketing but it's about as close as you are going to get, isn't it?

This post sums up my feelings nicely. It might just be "as close as you can get". There's only the X Factor missing (and we know what, or should I say WHO that is). ;)

As someone ( I think it was the David Kemper) once said, "being in the room with Jerry is a pretty damn nice place to be".

This post sums up my feelings nicely. It might just be "as close as you can get". There's only the X Factor missing (and we know what, or should I say WHO that is). ;)

As someone ( I think it was the David Kemper) once said, "being in the room with Jerry is a pretty damn nice place to be".

You mean they I hope.

The 6/9 show might be my favorite from all of '77. no shit. And the Help > Slip > Frank on there is esily one of the best ever imo.

Speaking of new releases, I just saw this posted on David Gans' Blog:

I just turned in the liner notes for Let It Rock, a 2-CD live release of the Jerry Garcia Band w/ Nicky Hopkins on piano, recorded at the Keystone Berkeley November 17-18, 1975. This was a short-lived and troubled edition of the JGB, but when Hopkins had it together they made amazing music. Jeffrey Norman did a spectacular job mixing Betty Cantor’s multitracks. Release date is November 10.

Speaking of new releases, I just saw this posted on David Gans' Blog:

Oh, this is awesome! I don't think I have any Hopkins JGB stuff here.

One of the books I have around here discusses Hopkins and his insatiable appetite for coke and hard booze. But, what a player! His fingerprints are all over some of my very favorite LPs - Beggars Banquet, What About Me and Beck-Ola just to name a few.

Oh, this is awesome! I don't think I have any Hopkins JGB stuff here.

One of the books I have around here discusses Hopkins and his insatiable appetite for coke and hard booze. But, what a player! His fingerprints are all over some of my very favorite LPs - Beggars Banquet, What About Me and Beck-Ola just to name a few.

And I'll add the "White Album" and "Who's Next".