man i feel like i was the only one who didnt seek out the 'leaked' version...sublime arrangements and again with the amazing vocals...sso reminds me of pet sounds, 'cept trippier

best new album ive heard this year so far

man i feel like i was the only one who didnt seek out the 'leaked' version...sublime arrangements and again with the amazing vocals...sso reminds me of pet sounds, 'cept trippier

best new album ive heard this year so far

be glad you didn't seek out the leak, cuz the early leak was TERRIBLE quality. i took one listen to the first 2 songs and decided to wait for a good leak (which only happened like a week or so ago) and i'm so glad i did.

i was pretty so-so on this band with Yellow House... i found their stuff pretty, but often dull and didn't agree with much of the hype from friends...

that said, i'm totally smitten with this record and it's def in my top 3-5 on the year as well. the only song i don't love yet is Dory.

can't wait to see them in a week and a half.

• Like 1

I've only heard two songs from it "While You Wait for the Others" and "Two Weeks" and I find it pretty stellar. I can't wait to see them in Milwaukee on June 6th! I am thinking I am going to buy the vinyl at the show.

I won't lie: I just don't get it. Some songs are decent on this album, but I'm glad I just downloaded it because I think I'd want my money back had I bought it.

I tried them back when Yellow House came out as well and that album flat out put me to sleep. It felt like one long song that never made any progression. This album is better in that regard, but I don't understand all the praise. (Then again, I feel nearly the same about Radiohead as well and people seem to totally adore them).

that's cool, at least you gave them a fair shot... although i'd say this album really started to open up for me around the 10th listen or so.

if you enjoyed it even remotely, might be worth giving a few more listens, otherwise that's cool, it's most definitely not for everyone i can understand that (hell i was one of you until this record).

do you enjoy 'Two Weeks' at least? have found that even people who hate the band even dig that song often.

oh, btw, for those who want to buy it on the cheap or check it out cheaply and legally, it's the Amazon mp3 deal of the day today and is only $3.99

be glad you didn't seek out the leak, cuz the early leak was TERRIBLE quality. i took one listen to the first 2 songs and decided to wait for a good leak (which only happened like a week or so ago) and i'm so glad i did.

There actually was a pretty good rip of it-- I think it was 256-- that circulated right after the first leak (that's what I still have). The original leak sucked in part because the songs first leaked on Youtube and that leak was a rip off of the youtube audio.

I had completely forgotten that this wasn't out yet, I must admit now that I'll download leaks I hardly follow street releases anymore.

--Mike

oh, btw, for those who want to buy it on the cheap or check it out cheaply and legally, it's the Amazon mp3 deal of the day today and is only $3.99

$3.99 is good enough to make me jump! Listening now. . . .

Really loving this record a lot - one of the best of the year in my view...

Seeing them in Montreal at Le Nacional on June 4th. Very excited to check out there live show and see if the arrangements and vocals hold up as well as they do on the record.

also, here's a mashup of Jay-Z's 'Public Service Announcement' and Two Weeks my friend Steve put together, it's pretty awesome imo :)

http://mcfierce.tumblr.com/post/112821025/mashup-of-grizzly-bears-two-weeks-with-jay-zs

Haha, that's actually really awesome.

Veckatimest probably is a top 5 of the year for me, but Merriweather Post Pavilion is still top. This Grizzly Bear record and Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix are probably tied / jostling for second, though I could potentially put Wilco (the Album) up there because I love it way too much.

There actually was a pretty good rip of it-- I think it was 256-- that circulated right after the first leak (that's what I still have). The original leak sucked in part because the songs first leaked on Youtube and that leak was a rip off of the youtube audio.

I had completely forgotten that this wasn't out yet, I must admit now that I'll download leaks I hardly follow street releases anymore.

--Mike

that 256kbps one was a trasncode as well and still didn't sound very good.

the real thing sounds 100x better

i was pretty so-so on this band with Yellow House... i found their stuff pretty, but often dull and didn't agree with much of the hype from friends...

that said, i'm totally smitten with this record and it's def in my top 3-5 on the year as well. the only song i don't love yet is Dory.

They sound incredible live. I don't know how their engineers do it no matter which venue they're playing. I highly recommend seeing Grizzly Bear live. You will come back a believer.

They sound incredible live. I don't know how their engineers do it no matter which venue they're playing. I highly recommend seeing Grizzly Bear live. You will come back a believer.

i've seen them live twice actually... first time was opening for TVOTR. wasn't too too big on that set, but saw them headline a few months after that and that def piqued my interest level, even tho i still didn't LOVE Yellow House.

Chris Bear is a sick drummer.

haha nice mash up i like it. yeah this cd is incredible, it took me a while to warm to yellow house but im glad i did i think its awesome these guys are really talented. Department of eagles cd last year was probably my favourite records all year

I really dig it, much more than Yellow House, which I liked a fair amount. This is definitely in my top 5 for this year, and for anyone that reads Stereogum, it's a lot better than the new Animal Collective.

It's definitely a grower, although "Dory" and "While You Wait for the Others" were the two tracks that hit me right away. Go figure.

After the band debuted "While You Wait for the Others" on Conan last April (2008), I became fairly obsessed with that song. It's probably one of my favorite single tracks of the last few years. I still don't have the new album, but I am going to pick it up soon.

After the band debuted "While You Wait for the Others" on Conan last April (2008), I became fairly obsessed with that song. It's probably one of my favorite single tracks of the last few years. I still don't have the new album, but I am going to pick it up soon.

I had a similar reaction to Two Weeks when they did last year on Letterman. I love Others as well, the recorded versions don't disapoint.

that 256kbps one was a trasncode as well and still didn't sound very good.

the real thing sounds 100x better

Yeah, I picked up the real thing yesterday and it's light years ahead of the leak. I didn't really think the 256 was that bad, at least until I heard the original, but I think unfortunately my ears have gotten a little lazy in the ipod era, and I kind of expect the bass to be buried and the quality to be a little off.

--Mike

• Like 1

So I picked this up yesterday since VC has rarely, if ever, steered me wrong. I've listened to it twice and I am really hoping it starts growing on me soon. So far, the hype is lost on me.

not even Two Weeks? :ohwell

Well, let's give it some time before I draw any lines in any sand. It's catchy, and I liked the backing vocals, but the lead vocals weren't my cup o' tea. I will keep listening, though. Maybe it just needs to get under my skin.