Monsters of Folk (James, Oberst & Ward)

I agree that Man Named Truth is pretty bad but no one's lyrics on the album come close to touching Temazcal, and lyrically Map Of The World and Ahead Of The Curve are pretty good.

I still maintain that Dear God is easily the worst, I can't stand Jim's ridiculous falsetto, but that's me.

I just find Jim's contributions really lazy. His Master's Voice is pretty good but The Right Place basically sounds like, "hey let's have a country tune", lyrically Losin Yo Head is pretty bad as well.. but at least it's a catchy tune.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those on the fence about this release (like myself), amazon.com has the mp3 album as their deal of the day today. $3.99 to get the album two days early. Not too bad if you don't mind mp3's.

http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Of-Folk/dp/B002ORT4L8/ref=amb_link_85190051_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=11N49SF1W4EFV1F28AZ4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=488806171&pf_rd_i=163856011

While I love M. Ward, I've never been much of a Conor Oberst fan, and I find Jim James to be pretty hit or miss. I can handle $3.99.

I usually love Conor, so it's not like I'm only liking his voice in this context, but I just think he's much more confident when he has other people to lean on. The Mystic River stuff has by far his best vocals, and he also sounds really good on this as well. I also thought he was great on Jenny Lewis' version of "Handle With Care."

cool that it was Mogis playing that solo all the time and not Matt or Jim as suspected

I was definitely surprised to see that! Who was drumming? Was it the drummer from mystic valley band?

Also, I catch my legs dancing on their own every time Whole Lotta Losin comes on. That song is catttttcchyyyyy.

I was definitely surprised to see that! Who was drumming? Was it the drummer from mystic valley band?

Also, I catch my legs dancing on their own every time Whole Lotta Losin comes on. That song is catttttcchyyyyy.

Drummer is Will Johnson from Centro-matic. He will be the drummer for the tour as well.

I commended Pitchfork only yesterday for their Pearl Jam review, but they're back to their old shenanigans with this one - writing almost exactly the opposite of what I would have written. The only part they got right was saying that Mike Mogis is a highlight. I get the angle - Jim James is the only one stretching here, but who expected this record to be about each of these artists really stretching? Can't it just be good?

And that Mogis solo on Conan was awesome.

I commended Pitchfork only yesterday for their Pearl Jam review, but they're back to their old shenanigans with this one - writing almost exactly the opposite of what I would have written. The only part they got right was saying that Mike Mogis is a highlight. I get the angle - Jim James is the only one stretching here, but who expected this record to be about each of these artists really stretching? Can't it just be good?

And that Mogis solo on Conan was awesome.

Honestly, they basically said they wanted an album of "Dear God..." which, in my opinion, was one of the less appealing, albeit interesting, songs on the album. This album wasn't about them getting together and doing something different, it was about them sitting back and enjoying making music together like any teenager with his friends.