Can someone please explain the Tweedy "Living Room Shows"?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jealous? Sure, but not resentful. I'm jealous of some of my neighbors who's wives don't have to work (mine does), and take 3 or 4 fantstic vacations a year (I don't), and drive cars made this decade (I don't), but I'm not resentful. I'm jealous of the people that attended any of these shows, I'm jealous of the people who get to see acoustic Tweedy shows, I'm jealous of the people who saw the Beatles play on the roof at Abbey Road, but to resent any of them would be retarded.

I think you're envious, not jealous. How's that for condescending? :-)

Anyway, I was at one of these shows and luckily read this thread before I shared it my copy. My thought is that this is a stressful situation for Jeff - he's playing in front of 30 people who worship him. He's nervous. We're nervous. He THINKS he messes up songs (he doesn't). It's all very personal. I'd think it would become harder and harder for him to do it in the future knowing that these shows are making the rounds. It's one thing to stand up and sing in front of 2,000 with a band and a plan, it's something entirely different to drive across town with your guitar and sit in a stranger's living room while 30 people hang on your every breath.

Is it an elitist thing? I don't think so. Our group was almost all people who had never been to a Living Room Show before. For many of us it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing and we gave up something else huge to be able to afford it. I've listened to my copy, and it's great, but I think someone else would enjoy any of the other acoustic Tweedy I have from official concerts just as much.

The logic behind whether or not they should be distributed really doesn't matter.

Ok. I read the whole thread... :punch

The logic doesn't matter, Jeff said no. So the answer is no.

But discussing the logic is entertaining and fun, so I shall continue.

The point is made that people saved up, bid on an auction and spent a lot of money to enjoy a private show in the comfort of their own home with 30 of their closest friends.

THAT is the reward! You got to spend an evening listening to the music you love, performed by the man who made it in a very intimate setting.

To say that anyone else getting a recording of and listening to this event, somehow diminishes that experience IS elitist and therefore should not be surprised by jealousy and covetousness.

That being said,

Jeff wants them to be private...then that's how it should be.

If I had known Jeff didn't want these out there, I'd have never grabbed them, but I do remember what an exciting night it was in 2006 when the first recording of a living room show surfaced. I was taken in by the legend of the untaped first show in 2005, and the setlist for that particular show was incredible. We were operating as has been stated under the misinterpretation that Jeff was cool with these being out there, and though that sadly wasn't the case those recordings always brought me a great deal of joy. I am pretty sure I picked up every available Living Room Show over the years, and while they weren't boots I re-visited a lot, they were always interesting and intimate performances, and though hardly replacements for being there (in person or Being There the album for which nothing is a real replacement) I found them to be great documents of the event for those of us who couldn't make it to them for a variety of reasons. One day when the disposable income is there I am going to try like hell to get in on one of these things particularly since Chicago is within driving distance.

--Mike

The whole point of the living room show was for it to be a gift. A thank you. A unique, incredible way to repay people for their generosity and help in changing people's lives. It's not supposed to be for everyone. It's for the people who gave something first.

The bottom line is that the recordings shouldn't be public. So everyone should make an effort to see that that gets honored.

A side note...I've taken the recording gladly year after year because that's just kind of how it's always been done, and it's great to have a memory of the experience. But to be honest, I could do without it. I think people have started to miss the point. It's about enjoying your night hanging out with Jeff. That's what you paid for. Not to host a show with perfect sound and a flawless set so everyone else in the world can listen to it later. That's why Wilco plays concerts. That's why Jeff does solo shows. This is meant to be different. Everyone's so anxious about getting a perfect recording, but can you imagine how different (slash awesome) the shows would be if they weren't taped? (Not that Jeff holds back much when he's on the record anyway ;) ) I guess I'm not really sure where I'm going with this...all I'm saying is I love the recordings, but I'd be okay with the LR shows being a taper-free experience too, and I think many people would be surprised at how much more they would enjoy that kind of show :thumbup (not to mention it could eliminate that whole "elitist" issue.. :rolleyes )

I think people have started to miss the point. It's about enjoying your night hanging out with Jeff. That's what you paid for. Not to host a show with perfect sound and a flawless set so everyone else in the world can listen to it later. That's why Wilco plays concerts. That's why Jeff does solo shows. This is meant to be different. Everyone's so anxious about getting a perfect recording, but can you imagine how different (slash awesome) the shows would be if they weren't taped? (Not that Jeff holds back much when he's on the record anyway ;) ) I guess I'm not really sure where I'm going with this...all I'm saying is I love the recordings, but I'd be okay with the LR shows being a taper-free experience too, and I think many people would be surprised at how much more they would enjoy that kind of show

i agree with you

• 4 months later...

I'm happy that someone recorded the one I found out there...it gave me a great version of "Who Were You Thinking Of?" (not sure if that title's right or not). I made a mix disc for Eddie Argos of Art Brut and included that song (and some other assorted Wilco or Wilco related material on it) and he loves the disc. That version of that song always brings a smile to my face and I am very thankful it got out.

I think people have started to miss the point. It's about enjoying your night hanging out with Jeff. That's what you paid for. Not to host a show with perfect sound and a flawless set so everyone else in the world can listen to it later. That's why Wilco plays concerts. That's why Jeff does solo shows. This is meant to be different. Everyone's so anxious about getting a perfect recording, but can you imagine how different (slash awesome) the shows would be if they weren't taped? (Not that Jeff holds back much when he's on the record anyway ) I guess I'm not really sure where I'm going with this...all I'm saying is I love the recordings, but I'd be okay with the LR shows being a taper-free experience too, and I think many people would be surprised at how much more they would enjoy that kind of show

Not to be a dick, but ( yes I know anytime you start a sentence like that you end up sounding like a dick) quit whining. The shows are fantastic if you get to go, but honestly 1) not everybody has 250-500 to shell out for a show and 2) is able to get into a group of 30 people who are bidding on a show.

I'm sorry if the thought of me listening to a show that took place in a living room in Winneteka while I'm driving around in my car really detracts from your experience of that show. Don't worry you still went to a tiny show and got to hang out with the Tweedys. You're still special in my book even if 10,000 other people download the show.

I understand the point. I understand the shows are special, but seriously who cares if others listen to the show, especially if they understand the point of the show and that $25,000 was raised by each performance. If anything you should be happy that the shows circulate because it increases awareness of hte Letters to Santa charity.

Guest Speed Racer

I understand the point. I understand the shows are special, but seriously who cares if others listen to the show, especially if they understand the point of the show and that $25,000 was raised by each performance. If anything you should be happy that the shows circulate because it increases awareness of hte Letters to Santa charity.

Jeff does. Read the whole thread, please.

The class-ist arguments regarding Living Room shows are borderline pathetic, I'm sorry. Other VCers finances and what they do with their money really are none of your business, ever. Period.

I think the point of (can't remember first name) insideoutoflove's post is that the best part of the show is the experience, and that recording that experience (at the show) takes away from that experience (at the show). Analogy - the potential for group photos to ruin a "magic moment." In documenting something, you lose some of the essence of spontaneity that you were trying to capture.

Speed Racer

Im not making a class-ist argument here. I'm just saying not everybody even if they have the money, has the opportunity to participate in one of these shows. These shwos are small and intimate and I really dont see how a recording released after the fact takes away from the specialty, spontaneity, or magic of the moment at the show.

The group photo analogy really doesnt apply here. Sure the group photo may ruin the moment. The equivalent would be 1000's of people in the living room instead of 30. How does recording take away from ones experience at the show? Have you ever been to one of hte living room shows Speed? Did you ever see a recording device hooked into the soundboard or whatever they use and think, man this is awesome but i'm a little bummed and the experience is ruined because others may now listen to this show.

Guest Speed Racer

Never been to an LRS show, not particularly interested in going to one.

The photo analogy works insofar as I don't really want 1,000 people seeing my vacation photos. According to Jeff's wishes about not distributing the show, he apparently feels the same, analogized way - or doesn't - that analogy is probably awful and I don't give a rip. All that really matters is that he doesn't want the show distributed. Complying with that ridiculously simple request is NOT rocket science, nor will it ruin you life.

Where did Jeff say he didnt want these shows distrubted and did he give a reason?

I'm willing to guess less than 5000 people have any of those shows

It was a fairly recent deal. They are still out there. Once something gets out there it is usually out there forever.

I guess some people wanted to pretend they did not know the shows were out there.

I am having a bit of hard time with that, due to the fact that I got a couple of nasty emails about it - as if I am somehow the main souce.

Anyhow, it's a drag clicking on all of these threads and seeing people debate/argue things back and forth. I use to get off on it myself, but at the end of the day, it is a drag.

We should just let the process go forth, let the people who can go to the shows go, and just let the rest of this shiting the bull go. Myself included.

I have all of the shows, and although I am not willing to make a copy for anyone, I am not going to toss them in the trash can.

I don't mind bending a little, but I won't bend over all the way. Ya Dig?

Edited by Analogman
Guest Speed Racer

Jeff's statement wasn't a recent development at all - the board and the community miscommunicated his intentions for a while, and Sue clarified.

I'm just tired of people blaming attendees for not wanting the shows circulated when it doesn't matter a rip what they think. If you want the shows, take 'em, but I still don't think it's that hard to comply with a request so simple from a band this generous.

It seems lately Jeff has had just about enough of Wilco fans - I wonder what he'd think if he happened by here and saw this thread resurrected.

Hmmm...better watch it. You will be accused of perpetuating negativity.

The only problem with Wilco is the sense of entitlement some fans have.

Never made it to a LR show but hope to one day. Love the time of year from T-giving to Feb when there's a few acoustic shows to attend in town. Sue and Jeff really do well for their charities by doing good for their fans. I love all the recordings, but they are incredible privileges and not rights.

The real concern taken away from this thread is Sue's lack of an avatar. We'll have to form a committee and get her one for the holidays.

The only problem with Wilco is the sense of entitlement some fans have.

There are really two separate issues being discussed here, which have been inappropriately intertwined, because they are separate issues:

One is the issue of sharing recordings of the Living Room Shows. That one is pretty cut-and-dried since Sue and Jeff have stated where they stand, which is that they don't want these recordings circulated.

The second issue is the feeling that some people have that certain fans feel "entitled". If you were to take Crow's statement and remove the band's name:

"The only problem with _________ is the sense of entitlement some fans have."

....I think you'd find that you could fritter away a huge quantity of time filling in that blank and find it true, over and over and over. Try these suggestions:

The Bay City Rollers

Neil Diamond

The Lakers

The Jay Leno Show

Hostess Cupcakes

The YMCA

Major League Baseball

NASA

NASCAR

nasal polyps

Family Guy

...Now you try!

....and the reason that sentence works with so many different insertions is that it's simply a part of human nature that some people act like that...everywhere in life! It's far from exclusive to Wilco. It has virtually nothing to do with Wilco and everything to do with the fact that some people are creeps because they are smug and full of themselves. It's this character flaw that's the problem. Even among murderers and father-rapers there are some people who think they deserve more "respect" because "I'm the best at it!"

How "entitled" do you think Kanye felt as he strolled up to Taylor Swift as she tried to accept her award?

So go ahead and dislike the personality trait in people but realize it isn't about "Wilco fans", it's about jerky people.

I loved the lr show I attended. Seeing Tweedy walking around Erin's house, playing his guitar in the basement (playing Bees because I asked him to :wub) and eating pizza after seems a bit surreal, but the memory of that entire weekend is very sparkly.

I don't feel entitled, just incredibly fortunate to have shared this with the folks who were there also.