• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Checked out Pete's Lifehouse DVD release from the library ---- from 2000 ---- been listening to the latest boxset a lot - via Spotify --- this Dvd is pretty great.   Checking the credits, I

Just came across this. I do love Pete’s voice. It’s always a great complement to the songs. His section in songs such as Naked Eye, Bargain, and  Baba O’Riley, and his Who songs ( I’m One, Eminence, H

Proceeding that release was the 6 discs Lifehouse Chronicles box set - which you could only get online. I had to idea how to do that back then. Plus it was a bunch of money. Now all these years later

Heard W.A.S.P.'s  cover of "The Real Me" on the way to work this morning - it still holds up for a cover version, the vocals and drums are pretty great. Haven't heard it in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I saw the show in Los Angeles last Wednesday.  They were really incredible.  Daltry sounded great - obviously they have Pete's brother and the other backup singers doubling some of his parts to help, but the dude sure still can sing his balls off for someone of that age.  In Won't Get Fooled again he belted out that big "Yeaaaaah!" after teh instrumental part and Staples Center just erupted.  Really glad that they played The Seeker and Bargain.  So happy we got to see them, those dudes still have so much attitude after all this time.

Pete's sound at @ 13:35->14:00 or so is simply amazing. 

Last night my neighbor and I had a few beers and watched last summer's Hyde Park show and it was pretty good, but man do I wish Pete would strap on an SG again.

The article said that he gave his blessing to the book that it's based on. He's probably ok with it.

Maybe not (by way of Billboard):

The members of The Who have denied reports that the band has endorsed a sequel to Quadrophenia, the 1979 film based on its own rock opera set around the clashes between rival gangs in 1960s Brighton.

Rumors of a sequel to the film – which starred Sting and Ray Winstone and became a cult hit – emerged in late May, with reports in the U.K. press that it would pick up the story 37 years on from the first and feature several members of the original cast, including Toyah Wilcox and Phil Daniels. In an interview with The Mirror, filmmaker Ray Burdis said he would be directing the film, based on the book To Be Someone, which he claimed had been given the blessing of The Who's Pete Townshend.

But Townshend, lead singer Roger Daltrey and Bill Curbishley (The Who's manager who produced the original Quadrophenia and, more recently, The Railway Man), have now rejected any suggestions they are backing the new film.

"Quadrophenia has an enduring appeal and will forever be the definitive mod film," Curbishley said in a statement on Wednesday. "Quadrophenia is a significant and influential film based on The Who’s music, not some Carry On franchise. Any follow-up to this film could only be made by the authors of the original and would need to be worthy of the name. This karaoke sequel announced recently in the press would be totally ridiculous."

Curbishley added that the new film wouldn't star Sting or Winstone or feature any words or music from The Who, describing it as a "blatant attempt to cash in" on the original's popularity.

The news comes just weeks after reports that the Carry On franchise, mentioned by Curbishley, was to be rebooted by U.K. producer Jonathan Sothcott, an announcement that led several of Sothcott's former employees to speak out about his business practices.

• 1 month later...

Pete is releasing a show from the 1980s:

On 16 September 2016, Eagle Rock Entertainment release the live concert film FACE THE FACE by Pete Townshend’s Deep End as a DVD+CD set [Cat No: EAGDV068]. This is the first official release of the show on either DVD or CD format. FACE THE FACE features Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour on lead guitar throughout and the set includes ‘Face The Face’, ‘Secondhand Love’, ‘Rough Boys’, ‘Slit Skirts’, ‘Give Blood’, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, ‘Behind Blue Eyes’, ‘Pinball Wizard’ and more.

This show was filmed for the famous German TV series Rockpalast at MIDEM in Cannes on 29 January 1986. Pete Townshend’s Deep End were touring in support of Townshend’s solo concept album WHITE CITY: A NOVEL. Several of the musicians that appeared on the album were featured in the line-up of Deep End including Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour on lead guitar. The set list has tracks from the WHITE CITY album, other Pete Townshend solo tracks, Who classics, David Gilmour’s song ‘Blue Light’ and a couple of surprises.

The line-up for this show boasts Pete Townshend (vocals, guitar); David Gilmour (guitar, vocals); Peter Hope-Evans (harmonica); Chucho Merchan (bass); Simon Phillips (drums); John ‘Rabbit’ Bundrick (keyboards); Jody Linscott (percussion); The Kick Horns: Simon Clarke, Roddy Lorimer, Tim Sanders, Pete Beachill & Dave Plews; Backing Vocalists: Billy Nicholls, Ian Ellis, Chris Staines, Gina Foster and Coral Gordan.

TRACKLISTING

1. Won’t Get Fooled Again

2. Secondhand Love

3. Give Blood

4. Behind Blue Eyes

5. After The Fire

6. Slit Skirts

7. Blue Light

8. I Put A Spell On You*

9. Hiding Out

10. The Sea Refuses No River

11. Face The Face

12. Pinball Wizard

13. A Little Is Enough

14. Rough Boy

15. Night Train

* not on CD 

FACE THE FACE is a fascinating and compelling release. Pete Townshend and the band deliver an outstanding performance that showcases him as a solo artist as distinct from his work with The Who.

• 1 year later...

Pete was on the Tonight show doing "Love Reign O'er Me". He looked & sounded great. Reminded myself why I can't watch Fallon. Fallon is so obnoxious with his fawning thing. Don't think he's that funny either. Sorry, got off track. Was worth putting up with to see Pete.