• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Checked out Pete's Lifehouse DVD release from the library ---- from 2000 ---- been listening to the latest boxset a lot - via Spotify --- this Dvd is pretty great.   Checking the credits, I

Just came across this. I do love Pete’s voice. It’s always a great complement to the songs. His section in songs such as Naked Eye, Bargain, and  Baba O’Riley, and his Who songs ( I’m One, Eminence, H

Proceeding that release was the 6 discs Lifehouse Chronicles box set - which you could only get online. I had to idea how to do that back then. Plus it was a bunch of money. Now all these years later

I'm listening to the Young Vic show (April 1971) from the Who's Next re-issue. If you have never heard it - you should check it out. I suppose you probably have - it came out over a decade ago.

Anyhow - I am sometimes still amazed that I can listen to something that I recall reading about as a teenager - and never thought I would hear.

Somehow I never gotten around to listening to the Young Vic show, until tonight --- enjoy Time is Passing, never heard this one before. Not familiar with  Odds and Sods or Pete's first solo record, though I remember always seeing Odds and Sods in the stacks when I was younger. Always thought it was great record cover. Cheesy as all hell, but great. Especially since they are English.

11_74_odds_and_sods-300x300.jpg

There ain't nothing cheesy (I hate that word) about that album cover. Get the re-master - it has more songs on it. There are all sorts of great songs from the Lifehouse period. 

Just put it on hold -- should be the remaster too.

Is there any back story to the cover - looks like Entwistle put the comp. together - wonder if was a big American football fan?

That's a great story about the acetate being returned to the band. 

The original pressing had braille on the back and some sort of poster/lyric sheet. I don't have an original pressing. I do have an original pressing of Pete's first solo album though. 

I think Roger, Richard Evans, and Graham Hughes did the album cover. I don't recall the story behind it. I will have to check some Who books I have. It could be someone else here knows. 

Cover concept by Roger Daltrey (featuring a die cut cover and the song titles in Braille on the back of the 1st British LP editions)

Design and photography by Graham Hughes.

The original LP contained a lyric sheet with song notes by Pete Townshend and a poster showing The Who at The Capital Center in Largo, Maryland right outside Washington, D.C. December 6,

The back cover is a picture of the long-suffering Who soundman Bobby Pridden. Did he get his picture on this album to make up for Pete dragging him across his console during the Quadrophenia tour?

Daltrey designed the cover. I remember hearing that he and Pete had to switch helmets because their intended ones didn't fit. The original pressing also had cutout holes where the photo was ripped, in addition to the braille titles on the back cover. It was probably an expensive album to manufacture.

Spotify has the remaster --- haven't heard their version in of Under My Thumb in a while --- forgot how much I enjoyed Moon's drumming on it -- the back ground vox., not so much, the ooo's and such doesn't fit the song. Though it is Who like, so I guess it works.

Spotify has the remaster --- haven't heard their version in of Under My Thumb in a while --- forgot how much I enjoyed Moon's drumming on it -- the back ground vox., not so much, the ooo's and such doesn't fit the song. Though it is Who like, so I guess it works.

If I remember correctly, Entwistle was on a honeymoon cruise when the song was recorded, so Townshend played bass on the two Stones covers that were intended to keep their music in the public eye (ear?) while Mick and Keith were facing prison sentences.

I always thought it was cool that the Who recorded the Stones tunes for those reasons -- esp. since at the time the British police was enjoying busting rock stars or at least busting the Stones. Definitely could have brought on unwanted attention to them by the police. I don't think they ever gotten busted (at least during the 60s). Could be wrong though - I haven't read a Who book in a long while.

• 3 weeks later...

Outside of Pete's solo albums I have never really collected any of the band's solo work. For some odd reason I was listening to Roger's first album by way of Youtube yesterday. I went to buy a cd of it and found it is out of print and people are asking ridiculous money for it. I find that odd when some of his other cds can be bought 4 bucks. And the original vinyl pressings are cheap also.

I think I have at least one Entwistle album (Rigor Mortis Sets In). And I recall listening to Under A Raging Moon quite a bit back in the cassette days.

I had Under a Raging Moon, on vinyl I think. I remember being underwhelmed by it. Daltrey had a greatest hits record that came out before that - "Best Bits" - that I liked.

I had Entwistle's "Too Late the Hero" on cassette. Not great, in my memory.

Only Pete's solo stuff really stuck with me - "Empty Glass" and "All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes". Still love those.

I will have to find that first Roger cd somewhere. What really caught my ear was the song One Man Band. There is also a great video of Leo Sayer doing the song (he co-wrote it) on some British TV show (when he was still wearing clown make-up).