According to a blog post on the band's official site, the guitarist and songwriter is currently putting together a musical called Floss that's apparently "in the style of Tommy and Quadrophenia" and "intended for outdoor performance, or arenas." Once a big thinker, always a big thinker.

He goes on to say Floss will premiere in 2011 (possibly inNew York City) and some of the musical's songs will end up on the nextWho album, due in 2010. Floss's plot revolves around a rockmusician husband who "returns to music after a 15 year hiatus, andfinds that what he composes evokes the ecologically rooted, apocalypticmindset of his generation." Write what you know, I guess!

I heard it's partly about a musician that makes a ton of money by selling his music for a commercial. Not exactly Quadrophenia but could be interesting.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Checked out Pete's Lifehouse DVD release from the library ---- from 2000 ---- been listening to the latest boxset a lot - via Spotify --- this Dvd is pretty great.   Checking the credits, I

Just came across this. I do love Pete’s voice. It’s always a great complement to the songs. His section in songs such as Naked Eye, Bargain, and  Baba O’Riley, and his Who songs ( I’m One, Eminence, H

Proceeding that release was the 6 discs Lifehouse Chronicles box set - which you could only get online. I had to idea how to do that back then. Plus it was a bunch of money. Now all these years later

• 1 month later...

Report: The Who To Perform At Superbowl

According to a report, the Who will perform at Super Bowl XLIV, marking their first performance in North America since 2008.

SI.com reports that the veteran U.K. band will take the stage during the halftime show of the 2010 National Football League championship game, scheduled for Feb. 7 in Miami, Fla.

The NFL has yet to officially confirm the report, saying, "When we have something to announce, we'll announce it."

During a recent stop on his "Use It or Lose It" solo tour, frontman Roger Daltrey told Billboard.com that he and bandmate/composer Pete Townshend were working on new material for the Who's followup to 2006's "Endless Wire."

"Hopefully if this tour has done it's job, I'll be in really good form as a vocalist," said Daltrey. "And who knows, we might make our best work."

Townshend has also acknowledged working on two projects -- a new musical called "Floss" and the Who's next album, which he has said will include some pieces from the "Floss" project.

seriously, how long can this go on? both of their voices are shot!

I dunno about that. I saw them a couple of years ago and it was a bloody great show. Maybe the voices are not what they once were and maybe the energy of the occasion carried the show for the punters but it was still a rocking good time.

• 2 months later...

Will.i.am, Slash Remix The Who's 'My Generation' For Haiti Charity Single

A fresh remix of The Who's "My Generation" is coming to raise money for Haitian earthquake relief.

The Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am. tells Billboard.com that he was commissioned to remix the iconic 1965 rock anthem, which will air during the Super Bowl XLIV broadcast on Feb. 7 -- where the Who is performing at halftime -- and then go on sale via iTunes. "It's the Who, their song, and then I altered the lyric to fit my generation now and then have Slash on it," will.i.am says. "It was awesome. I loved that song way before this even came up, and talking to Pete Townshend on the phone is like, 'What?! I'm talking to Pete Townshend on the phone?!' That was awesome, being able to just hear their advice and everything. Those guys are just awesome."

I wonder if they had to deal with Shel Talmy? I believe he still owns the rights/master tapes of the early Who stuff.

• 3 years later...

If she had not heard of the Beatles then  you might be shocked (or not), but aside from some serious over exposure on the CSI series(s) and some equal over exposure on some commercials, if you don't listen to classic rock on the radio (or any radio) why would you know of them?  How were these people?  Not everyone knows everything, There is plenty of stuff we all don't know, even stuff others think is so so obvious.

LouieB

the other day i met 2 (TWO!) people who'd never HEARD OF The Who. didn't even ring a bell, with the logo staring them in the face and me telling them they're a classic rock band. seriously, true story, please read:

http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/the-who-pop-culture-shock-at-a-pizza-place/

I may have related this story right after it happened, but as it involves Family and Music; is true and funny makes me want to share again.

On Super Bowl Sunday a couple of years ago (the year the WHO played the halftime show), I received a phone call from my daughter, then a Jr. in College.

(For the uninitiated, I use pseudonyms for family and friends...there are a lot of weirdos on the interwebs and some stalkerish types on here)

The actual language of this conversation is paraphrased a bit, but the gist of the conversation is good as gold.

Phone call received during the Who's performance...

Magic Kristen:  Dad 

Me: Hey Girlie...what's up?

Magic Kristen: What's the name of this band?

Me: The Who

Magic Kristen: The band playing the Super Bowl

Me: The Who. Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend

Magic Kristen: Dad...the name of the band. The band playing at the Super Bowl. Who are they?

Me: The Who. The Band playing at the Super Bowl?

Magic Kristen: DAD...What is the name of the band playing the Super Bowl?

Me: Kristen...look at the backdrop. The name of the band playing is THE WHO.

As I live and breathe, I certify that something like the above conversation actually occurred (only slight paraphrasing)

Back in the 70s, I believe, there was an actual comedy skit based on this premise, again lifted from the original "Who's on First" sketch. I think they used The Guess Who, The Who, and Yes. It was pretty funny listening to the guy get frustrated at the answers he was getting. "Can you tell me the name of the act?" "Yes." :lol

The TLF18 post reminds me of a conversation I had with a fellow student back in the early 80s (which was not that long after the late 60s, like it is now). She was a big fan of Michael Jackson and Madonna, for whom I had nothing but contempt. She asked me to name someone I liked, and I said, "The Doors." She laughed, and said, "The Doors? Is that like The Windows?" Never heard of them.

Back in the 70s, I believe, there was an actual comedy skit based on this premise, again lifted from the original "Who's on First" sketch. I think they used The Guess Who, The Who, and Yes. It was pretty funny listening to the guy get frustrated at the answers he was getting. "Can you tell me the name of the act?" "Yes." :lol

That was on an episode of Eight Is Enough.

My wife, while watching Springsteen's Superbowl half-time show: Hey! What's Silvio doing onstage???

Okay,....so who is Silvio?  Looks like I am the dumb ass this time.

LouieB

Okay,....so who is Silvio?  Looks like I am the dumb ass this time.

LouieB

A Sopranos reference

That was on an episode of Eight Is Enough.

I remember that one... quite funny.

When I was in high school we went to see a Kansas concert... when we said we were going to see Kansas, the mom of one of my friends asked "who are they playing?". 

When I was in high school we went to see a Kansas concert... when we said we were going to see Kansas, the mom of one of my friends asked "who are they playing?". 

Did you tell her: "I really shitty version of Yes...."

• 1 year later...

They're also releasing a 2013, 40th anniversary of Quadrophenia concert in a zillion different formats.

http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-who-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-quadrophenia/

People who bought the recent Super Deluxe Edition of Quadrophenia will not be pleased to hear that a 5.1 mix of the entire album will be available on Bluray, since they only received an 8-song version (supposedly because the original masters couldn't be found ... or something like that.)