I was really impressed by the live Quadrophenia release that just came out. If you love the album it's a must-watch. Despite their age, Townshend and Daltrey play with a lot of sincere intensity and the stripped-down presentation (no narration, no special guests) is much more effective than the '96-'97 tours.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Checked out Pete's Lifehouse DVD release from the library ---- from 2000 ---- been listening to the latest boxset a lot - via Spotify --- this Dvd is pretty great.   Checking the credits, I

Just came across this. I do love Pete’s voice. It’s always a great complement to the songs. His section in songs such as Naked Eye, Bargain, and  Baba O’Riley, and his Who songs ( I’m One, Eminence, H

Proceeding that release was the 6 discs Lifehouse Chronicles box set - which you could only get online. I had to idea how to do that back then. Plus it was a bunch of money. Now all these years later

I don' think so. But - Roger once did a solo tour, and I believe Pete played a few songs during the show.

Oh - another cool thing to see is The Who's performance in the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus film.

I thought they had at least twice.  Didn't they finish the tour after John died?  Then at least once more after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_who#After_Entwistle_and_Endless_Wire

Like many on this thread, I grew up on the Who.  And though I've moved on, there will never be a band that I love as much as I loved the Who back in the 70's and early 80's.  For those of you looking for something new, I highly recommend the 2014 release by Wilko Johnson (Dr. Feelgood) and Roger Daltrey titled, "Going Back Home."  Great stuff.

A 1977 clip of Keith Moon telling Billy Preston, Melissa Manchester and Phoebe Snow a tale about destroying hotel rooms; he then goes on to wreck one with Steve Martin. Part of the Martin clip appears on The Kids are Alright movie, but I don't think I've ever seen the entire segment.

• 1 month later...

The Who's Facebook page has been doing a 'Fifty Years Ago' thing. On this date in 1964, the band (then known as The High Numbers) played a gig in Blackpool. Also on the bill were The Beatles and The Kinks. That must have been a heck of a show.

• 6 months later...

I guess old Pete wants people to buy these again:

Pete Townshend has announced details of a major reissue campaign.

11 of his solo albums will be remastered ahead of a digital release on February 23. They will then be released on CD in stages throughout the rest of 2015 and into 2016.

The 11 digital album releases cover Who Came First, Rough Mix – his collaboration with The Faces’ Ronnie Lane – as well as his albums Empty Glass, All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes and the live album Deep End Live, featuring David Gilmour.

The albums will all be released on UMC/Universal Music are:

Who Came First

Rough Mix

Empty Glass

All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes

White City

Iron Man: The Musical

Psychoderelict

Scoop

Another Scoop

Scoop 3

Deep End Live

I wonder if this round will have the same stuff as the Rhino/Hip-O Records versions. I think the version I have of Who Came First is the Rykodisc release from the early 1990s. Scoop 3 is probably the only one I will get. I never bought it the first time around.

I guess old Pete wants people to buy these again:

I've had them all for years, so a reissue with no new material doesn't interest me. But the press release did jog my memory and I watched the Deep End Live concert video on YouTube the other day.

Today is original drummer Doug Sandom's 85th (!) birthday.

I also have an original pressing of Who Came First. I found it at a junk shop years ago.

Same here, about 30 years ago. It took me a few years before I realized that Pete was standing on eggs (walking on eggshells?) on the cover and that it was obviously a "Who came first - the chicken or the egg?" reference.

I made a point of playing Sheraton Gibson on my first visit (Browns vs. Steelers) to Cleveland last year. 

• 1 month later...

This could be good:

On May 14 at the Rosemont Theater in Rosemont, IL, Pete Townshend and Eddie Vedder will join Simon Townshend and Friends as a part of an evening celebrating The Who. The band is currently celebrating their 50th anniversary with a tour that will make its next stop in Tampa, FL on April 15.

Eddie Vedder, an Evanston, IL native, has a long love affair with the legendary British rockers. Most recently, he performed at a "The Who Hits 50" concert in November of 2014 at London Shepherd's Bush Empire, leading the house band on several tunes including "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Naked Eye." He has also sat in with The Who themselves during their shows at Royal Albert Hall in 2000.

In a 2008 interview with Rolling Stone, Vedder was quoted as saying The Who "changed my whole world," adding, "It's a big part of why I get to do what I do." Pearl Jam also regularly employs a cover of "Baba O'Riley" as well as "Love Reign O'er Me." The band performed the latter at the VH1 Rock Honors ceremony in 2008.

Tickets to the show are available via the venue's website. Tickets will go on sale at 10 AM on April 21. The show is slated to benefit Teen Cancer America, who partners with hospitals throughout the United States to provide youth-oriented centers for teenagers and young adults

I hope he joins them the night before - that is when I have my tickets. I am getting fired up for the tour, and I am excited that "A Quick One" and "Slip Kid" have made it into set lists. Add "Naked Eye" to the mix, and I will rest in peace.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and I noticed there's a Rolling Stone tribute issue for The Who.  I enjoyed flipping through that for a little while (as I have for some of their other tribute issues), but couldn't justify the $13 cover price.