• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Checked out Pete's Lifehouse DVD release from the library ---- from 2000 ---- been listening to the latest boxset a lot - via Spotify --- this Dvd is pretty great.   Checking the credits, I

Just came across this. I do love Pete’s voice. It’s always a great complement to the songs. His section in songs such as Naked Eye, Bargain, and  Baba O’Riley, and his Who songs ( I’m One, Eminence, H

Proceeding that release was the 6 discs Lifehouse Chronicles box set - which you could only get online. I had to idea how to do that back then. Plus it was a bunch of money. Now all these years later

The set list from the tour's opening night in Tampa last night:

I Can't Explain

Substitute

The Seeker

Slip Kid

Who Are You

The Kids Are Alright

I Can See For Miles

Pictures of Lily

My Gen

Magic Bus

Behind Blue Eyes

Join Together

You Better You Bet

I'm One

Love Reign

Eminence Front

A Quick One

Amazing Journey/Sparks

Pinball Wizard

See Me, Feel Me

Baba O'Riley

Won't Get Fooled Again

The set list from the tour's opening night in Tampa last night:

I Can't Explain

Substitute

The Seeker

Slip Kid

Who Are You

The Kids Are Alright

I Can See For Miles

Pictures of Lily

My Gen

Magic Bus

Behind Blue Eyes

Join Together

You Better You Bet

I'm One

Love Reign

Eminence Front

A Quick One

Amazing Journey/Sparks

Pinball Wizard

See Me, Feel Me

Baba O'Riley

Won't Get Fooled Again

Other than a few (I'm One, Slip Kid, The Seeker), it looks like a greatest hits tour. Not much on the mixes and misses, and a lot on the hits and picks. I love the set list, but not exactly what I was expecting/hoping. A Let's See Action/Join Together/Relay mix would be a great addition.

Other than a few (I'm One, Slip Kid, The Seeker), it looks like a greatest hits tour. Not much on the mixes and misses, and a lot on the hits and picks. I love the set list, but not exactly what I was expecting/hoping. A Let's See Action/Join Together/Relay mix would be a great addition.

I Can See for Miles, Pictures of Lilly, Magic Bus and A Quick One are also rarely played, so that makes about 1/3 of the show relatively fresh compared to the set lists of the last 20 years. I think I've only heard them play two of them over the last 33 years and 30+ shows, so I'm happy. Someone sad that the printed set list contained So Sad About Us, so that's another rarity.

It's a celebration of 50 years of music by a couple of 70-year-olds who effectively stopped recording 35 years ago, so I'll take what I can get.

I wish old Pete would break out the SG and HIWATT amps.

Likewise. I'd even settle for the Les Pauls that came later.

I'm seeing them in Austin in a few days. Joan Jett opened the first show I saw in 1982 and she's opening this tour, too. I've assumed that every show I've seen since 1982 would be my last, so it'll be a nice bookend if it turns out to be.

I never gotten around to see them, either.

Watched the below the other night, again--- even by 1974 Moon seemed to be loosing steam -- still an okay show, though.

I downloaded the show off of some site - the version on my hard drive seems to look better then the attached youtube.

the who live charlton 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXPGtnNlgFw

• 3 weeks later...

No amazon.com listing yet:

On 29 June 2015, Eagle Rock Entertainment release LIVE AT SHEA STADIUM 1982 by The Who on DVD, SD Blu-ray and digital formats. The set list on this amazing show features both classic tracks and rarely performed songs and includes: ‘Pinball Wizard’, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, ‘My Generation’, ‘Substitute’, ‘Who Are You’, ‘I Can’t Explain’, ‘See Me Feel Me’, ‘Baba O’Riley’ and many more. Although a couple of tracks have appeared on compilations, this is the first official release of the full show and features restored footage and newly mixed sound.

The Who’s 1982 tour, which was all in North America apart from two warm-up dates at the Birmingham NEC in England, was their last to feature Kenney Jones on drums and the band did not tour again until 1989. The tour promoted the recent IT’S HARD album, which had been released in June 1982, and the set list included a number of tracks from that album, some of which the band would only play live on this tour. This concert film features the show from the second of their two nights at New York’s Shea Stadium and was filmed on 13 October 1982.

TRACKLISTING

1. Substitute
  2. I Can’t Explain
  3. Dangerous
  4. Sister Disco
  5. The Quiet One
  6. It’s Hard
  7. Eminence Front
  8. Behind Blue Eyes
  9. Baba O’Riley
  10. I’m One
  11. The Punk And The Godfather
  12. Drowned
  13. Tattoo
  14. Cry If You Want
  15. Who Are You
  16. Pinball Wizard
  17. See Me Feel Me
  18. Love Reign O’er Me
  19. Long Live Rock
  20. Won’t Get Fooled Again
  21. Young Man Blues
  22. Naked Eye
  23. I Saw Her Standing There
  24. Summertime Blues
  25. Twist And Shout

Likewise. I'd even settle for the Les Pauls that came later.

I'm seeing them in Austin in a few days. Joan Jett opened the first show I saw in 1982 and she's opening this tour, too. I've assumed that every show I've seen since 1982 would be my last, so it'll be a nice bookend if it turns out to be.

How was the show?

How was the show?

It was better than I'd expected. Joan Jett kicked things off with a rollicking set; it was the first time I'd seen her since that Who show in 1982.

I had a lousy seat, but the band sounded great and it was nice to hear 3 or 4 songs that I'd never heard them play before. Pete really seems to like Austin, and at the end of the gig he pronounced it the 'music fucking capital of the fucking world.'

Pete and Roger seem like good pals these days and Townshend seems to be softening up a bit. I think he's looking forward to the end of the band, but with more nostalgia and happiness than he's shown in the past.

Most of the night's songs can be found on YouTube. I'm going to download them and try to create my own concert video by dubbing in the official audio download of the concert which will be available shortly. Ten bucks is a reasonable price, but it annoys me when bands charge more ($15) for lossless FLAC files.

The Who Setlist - Austin 4/27/15:

I Can't Explain

The Seeker

Who Are You

The Kids Are Alright

I Can See for Miles

Pictures of Lily

My Generation

Magic Bus

Behind Blues Eyes

Bargain

Join Together

You Better You Bet

I'm One

Love, Reign O' er Me

Eminence Front

A Quick One, While He's Away

Amazing Journey

It's a Boy

Sparks

Pinball Wizard

See Me, Feel Me

Baba O'Riley

Won't Get Fooled Again

There's a nice interview with Pete Townshend here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/whos-done-pete-townshends-ambivalent-farewell-20150507

Here's an excerpt that should probably have been posted in the Politics 2015 thread:

While we're on the subject, when you look at ISIS and Boko Haram — and even what Putin has been up to, to some extent — do you worry about the state of the planet?

Not as long as we remember. [Laughs] You know, I am not going to get fucking accused of being a neocon by Arianna Huffington again, that dimwitted woman. [Editor's note: Huffington herself didn't call Townshend a "neocon"; he was described as that in a 2012 piece on the Huffington Post.] But I do think it's very important that we keep our ammunition ready. I do feel there is nothing to worry about as long as we're willing to protect ourselves.

Had America not interceded in World War II, Germany would have taken over the whole of Europe. I think the most important thing is that we remember that. But also remember that we don't need to act until this shit comes to our door. When that happens, whether it comes to our door in a Charlie Hebdo scenario or in a 9/11 scenario, we need to keep calm and to honor our own sense of values and justice and law and the way that we want to live.

Are you able to understand why a young person in America or the U.K. would go join ISIS?

I'm not particularly politically well-grounded, but from 1967 to the mid-Seventies, I was following Meher Baba and also considering joining a Sufi order. It's not exactly Islam, but it's very close. I kind of understand what they mean when they talk about what jihad is, but I don't see how it helps anybody. I don't see how it helps the people in the countries in which they live. They're getting to a point where the so-called caliphate will be run by a bunch of bullies, basically. But then, I've seen this before — in my lifetime, I grew up with bullies at school, I grew up with bullies in the Sea Scouts, I grew up with bullies in my band!