Pat V Nels

Sansone is the clear winner here. Nels is such a great guitarist, but his weakness has always been noodling under pressure, haha. Pats totally in control, doesn't even look like he's trying, and completely owns Nels because of it.

But we could have sort of figured that. Now, Tweedy vs. Sansone? THAT'S a fair fight :)

Sansone is the clear winner here. Nels is such a great guitarist, but his weakness has always been noodling under pressure, haha. Pats totally in control, doesn't even look like he's trying, and completely owns Nels because of it.

But we could have sort of figured that. Now, Tweedy vs. Sansone? THAT'S a fair fight :)

pat seems far more natural. nels is a genius but i just get the feeling he has really had to work at it whereas pat always seems more in control

ao i pat owns nels and pat v jeff is a fair fight, does that mean you think jeff nels?

pat seems far more natural. nels is a genius but i just get the feeling he has really had to work at it whereas pat always seems more in control

ao i pat owns nels and pat v jeff is a fair fight, does that mean you think jeff nels?

Firstly, it's all situational. I'm sure on another night of this dual, Nels could have won easy. It all depends on who gets lucky, since everyone in this band is so ridiculously talented.

That said, I also think Nels Cline is a brilliant guitarist and a very sexysmexy rock and roll dude...but I just personally happen to like Tweedy's playing more. Nothing Nels has ever done or will do is likely to top the lead work on AGIB in this Wilco fan's heart, ESPECIALLY At Least That's What You Said. I'm not even a fan of feedback, but dammit, that's how you play a guitar.

That said, I also think Nels Cline is a brilliant guitarist and a very sexysmexy rock and roll dude...but I just personally happen to like Tweedy's playing more. Nothing Nels has ever done or will do is likely to top the lead work on AGIB in this Wilco fan's heart, ESPECIALLY At Least That's What You Said. I'm not even a fan of feedback, but dammit, that's how you play a guitar.

That guitar work on at At Least Thats What You Said does things to me. Gets me all hot under the collar. You can stick your smooth romantic music, this gets me in the mood. Not so much the lyrics, cause I'm not a full on weirdo, only partial.

Ry Cooder played the slide guitar parts, but all the fast picked parts--clean and distorted--were played by Vai. It's kinda funny listening to it now, his overly effected tone and excessive use of the whammy bar and pinched harmonics make this seem painfully dated. The stuff done with the clean guitar still sounds okay at least.

It's really apples and oranges, imo. It's like comparing Michelangelo and Picasso. Other than the fact that they are both guitar players in Wilco, they don't have a whole lot in common musically or "showmanly".

But I gotta admit, the whole Hoodoo Voodoo thing is an amazing sight (and sound) to behold.

But I gotta admit, the whole Hoodoo Voodoo thing is an amazing sight (and sound) to behold.

I never actually cared for the song I saw it played as the finisher at the Philly concert in Feb. 08. It was even better when I saw it again 6 months later. I love it live.

I think if you showed a photo of Wilco to someone who wasn't familiar with the band and asked them who the star was they would probably choose Pat. He just looks like a rock star.

Guest Speed Racer

Pat has to be the most underrated musician on the planet.

He is a fine, fine multi-instrumentalist, to be sure. The Wilco gig has to be fun, but I really think it's constraining for him. Except in showcases like the Hoodoo Voodoo duel, he's rarely doing anything other than playing over a Wilco song, in my opinion. And I love the rockstar moves to an extent, but they grate on me after a while.

Great duel though, and he definitely comes out on top in that one.

Guest Speed Racer

If he actually does possess both the talent, and the charisma...then he's not really a poser at all, is he?

A poser, in my mind, is someone who tries too hard to fit in. As someone who (according to certain audience members) exercises both charisma and talent more frequently than they is required, he could arguably be considered a poser.

Not to say these are equitable at all, but think of Jack Black's character in School of Rock - a very talented, charismatic performer who lacked the timing to make it authentic.

edit: I will likely burn in hell for even initiating that comparison, but that's about the only way I can think of to describe it...

It's ok. I'm a bit of a fan of School of Rock.

But I guess you're right. However, to me, a poser is someone who covers up their lack of talent with cliche moves. Pat is undeniably skilled as a musician, so it never really registers as trying too hard in my eyes. It's always come across as some sort of "no one else in the band is doing it, so why not?"

Not to take anything away from Pat, who I think is highly talented, but I don't think there's much of a contest between Nels & Pat as guitarists. The "trade a quick solo blast" thing has never been Nels strong point. It's just not his style of playing. I don't think Pat's going to be playing the solo at the end of Ashes anytime soon.

It's ok. I'm a bit of a fan of School of Rock.

But I guess you're right. However, to me, a poser is someone who covers up their lack of talent with cliche moves. Pat is undeniably skilled as a musician, so it never really registers as trying too hard in my eyes. It's always come across as some sort of "no one else in the band is doing it, so why not?"

Yeah, Pat can be really fun to watch on the more rocking numbers-- Hoodoo Voodoo, I'm a Wheel, Walken, the Being There "rockers", but there are times when he tries a little too hard to be a goof ball and kind of kills the mood for me. I don't really need him smashing the maracas into the organ on I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

Still, he's really used well on the quieter tracks, his acoustic guitar on Muzzle of Bees is fantastic, and his switching from guitar to organ on You Are My Face is pretty solid as well. I am always going to wish Leroy Bach had hung around, but Sansone is all right, and the ladies sure seem to like him.

--Mike