the next Beatles thread

Get your Beatles degree:

Students pondering their future have another degree to think about: a Master of the Arts in Beatles Studies.

Liverpool Hope University is offering the masters programs, and students there told Associated Press reporters they think the degree will be a great experience.

"I'm going to have a totally different perspective now on delivering that and first hand knowledge of what it was like to be here and live here and experience the people, the culture and the music scene, so I know I'm going to be a way better teacher for having this particular MA under my belt," said Mary-Lu Zahalan, Canadian music teacher and Beatles MA student. Students can take the required classes on either a full-time or part-time basis, the AP reported. Professors told reporters that, while the focus is on the Beatles -- the course will also offer insight into popular music in general and its effect on society in the 1960s.

About 20 people have signed up for the course so far.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the mock stereo - i guess it just means the exact same file in both channels?

if you listen to those two tracks in headphones in comparison to the rest you can tell a big difference.

also listening to HDN

I haven't gone back to my 87 CD, yet, but I"m pretty sure "If I Fell" is different.

on the 87 i think the first vocal only has one voice, while the Stereo remaster starts with a doubled vocal.

the Stereo also seems to either have a different very noticeable vocal goof at the end of a phrase , or it's just more prominent in that mix.

And like [Pink Floyd's] Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the mono versus the stereo on that. It's more something I go back to now, having spent some time in the recording studio and listening to the differences.

Jeff like a bit of early Floyd? Thats an interesting direction for the band to explore. 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' or 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun' would be nice to hear for the current incarnation of Wilco (Not sure about Bike/Gnome/Biding My Time!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

For as much as I think that Paul's contributions to the White Album are subpar (Martha My Dear and Blackbird notwithstanding), his drum fills towards the end of Dear Prudence are absolutely killer.

you mean you only like those two Paul songs on the entire album?

i love Honey Pie, Helter Skelter, Mother Nature's Son, Rocky Racoon

For as much as I think that Paul's contributions to the White Album are subpar (Martha My Dear and Blackbird notwithstanding), his drum fills towards the end of Dear Prudence are absolutely killer.

Paul's piano playing at the beginning of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is incredible.

you mean you only like those two Paul songs on the entire album?

i love Honey Pie, Helter Skelter, Mother Nature's Son, Rocky Racoon

Meaning that I think that within the whole Beatles' catalogue of Paul-penned tunes, the White Album isn't his best. But yes - those are my two favorites of his on the White Album. I think John really carries the White Album, whereas Paul carries Abbey Road, even with Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

I tend to agree with John's assessment of a lot of Paul's tunes: too much "granny shit"

I think John was jealous.

I agree that Lennon carried the White Album.

But it just wouldn't be the quirky, imperfect masterpiece it is without Rocky Raccoon, Helter Skelter, Why Don't We Do It In The Road...

I marvel at Paul's contributions on songs that weren't his. "Come Together" and "Something" are fantastic John and Goerge songs, but it's Paul's bass that sucks me in.

Safe to say.

bigideas - What examples of these types of songs are in John's solo work?

i don't have any of his cd's with me, but i think Crippled Inside is sorta in that vein. maybe some stuff on Mind Games, too.

Whatever his musical sins and inadequacies, McCartney never released anything as embarrassing or pretentious as Sometime in New York City.

Lennon had the advantage of a limited catalogue and a 'retirement' at an early age. I remember the full page open letter in Rolling Stone begging Lennon to resume his career. Yeah...we really needed more songs like Whatever Gets You Thru The Night (eh...kindy of snarky there).

As much as I love(d) Lennon, I think he gets a free pass on a lot of stuff because he was the tortured artist and, ultimately, the terribly tragic end to his life. He cluttered his solo work with attempts to make Yoko respected as an musical artist that are annoying and silly. That points more to his inferiority complex than any narcissism, but he could love and respect his wife and manage to have a separate career.

I wonder how we would consider McCartney is he retired after 1975 and Venus and Mars. Or, if he was gunned down after releasing McCartney II. Lennon and McCartney are tied toegether in a way that is unparalleled in the arts, even considering Jagger and Richards.

No matter what McCartney does from now until he passes, he will be forever linked with and compared to Lennon. And that is a hard legacy to consider.

Hmm, see I like 'Some Time in NYC' and 'Whatever Gets You Thru The Night'. I also like McCartney, Wings, etc. I'm starting to think it's unfair to compare their solo careers, because I think they were after different things. Actually, that probably started halfway through their Beatles career.

Really? I actually really enjoy Mind Games. Blasting "Mind Games" works as a psych-up for big things like midterms and the like. So you are ready to play "mind games" with whatever you're going up against. :stunned

To be fair to Mind Games, that's the one I've listened to the least. I've never thought about it in that way. It'll probably grow on me as I listen to it more. Maybe I'll listen to it when I get home.

I heard a remaster of some Beatles song on XRT (sorry i can't remember the name, not because I don't know the song, but because it is early and I just can't recall (senior moment)) and I was frankly shocked. I understand that when they do this they clean stuff up and separate it and all, but it really didn't sound like the song I remembered. After all I heard most of these songs on AM radio (for years) and on old LPs (for more years) and on FM radio (for even mnore years) etc. I am not really sure this is an improvement. It sounds like the Beatles playing in 2009 not in 1964.

LouieB

So were John Lennon and Paul McCartney really in a band called "the Nurk Twins" pre-Beatles? My daughter was quizzing me on Beatles trivia from her "history of rock and roll" class and that was one of the answers. How could I have never heard that in all the books about the Beatles I have read? Maybe I just glossed over it.

I have always read it as Nerk - which is mentioned in what I found on some Beatles site:

Another name associated with the Beatles, or at least with John and Paul, is the "Nerk Twins." This was a name used by John and Paul when they appeared as a duo at the "Fox And Hounds" in Caversham, Berkshire. They had spent some time with Paul's cousin and in return for working behind the bar were given the opportunity to perform Saturday night April 23 and again Sunday afternoon April 24. The alternate spelling "Nurk Twins" is also associated with John and Paul but this name appears to have been used by Paul and his younger brother Mike when the two of them would perform at family parties.