the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so three songs does not a good album make.

i think it's all pretty good, but Whatever Gets You really sticks out on the album (and i believe this was the only one i'd heard prior to on a Lennon comp). a couple of the others seem more or less like Lennon retreads, but i don't recall them being horrible in any way.

Has anyone on here gotten the stereo remaster of Sgt. Pepper? I'm interested in finding out more about the artwork included.

Thanks.

I had access to a friend's mono version. Assuming that the artwork is the same, you get the CD sleeve, designed by the fool, and a mini cutout page, with the stripes, mustache, etc. The cardboard CD gatefold is the same as the album.

Has anyone on here gotten the stereo remaster of Sgt. Pepper? I'm interested in finding out more about the artwork included.

Thanks.

I'm currently comparing the mono and stereo packaging...

MONO: gatefold cardboard cover, reproduction of the original inner sleeve, reproduction of the cutouts on a small card.

STEREO: tri-fold cardboard cover; extra photo on one surface (Beatles in uniforms looking to their right/our left); back of external cover is different (another alternate photo and a track listing/composition credits); 32-page booklet with all of the lyrics, reminiscences by McCartney and George Martin, a short piece by Mark Lewisohn, recording notes compiled by Lewisohn, a piece on the creation of the cover by artist Peter Blake, additional historical and recording notes, a few more photos, a reproduction of the cutouts card as a page in the booklet, a legend to help identify the faces on the cover, and that's basically it.

STEREO: tri-fold cardboard cover; extra photo on one surface (Beatles in uniforms looking to their right/our left); back of external cover is different (another alternate photo and a track listing/composition credits); 32-page booklet with all of the lyrics, reminiscences by McCartney and George Martin, a short piece by Mark Lewisohn, recording notes compiled by Lewisohn, a piece on the creation of the cover by artist Peter Blake, additional historical and recording notes, a few more photos, a reproduction of the cutouts card as a page in the booklet, a legend to help identify the faces on the cover, and that's basically it.

I think somebody on Amazon sold me the old CD instead of the remaster. (I bought it at a discount without the complete artwork, but it has a 28-page booklet that sounds similar to what you got. The CD is silver with red lettering, but I have seen pics of the remaster that show it as black.)

I may be looking for a refund.

Yep, I think the seller ripped me off. They are NOT going to like the email I send. :lol

There should be a date about halfway on the face of the cd.

I never buy used cds anymore. I have bought some new re-masters of cds from Amazon before, and they turned out to be the old version of the cd. I sent them back.

Not a bonus or hidden track as described in the Youtube/Wikipedia listing, but rather a mistake that was left in:

The song was originally placed between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam"; McCartney decided that the sequence did not work and the song was edited out of the medley by Abbey Road Studios tape operator John Kurlander. He was instructed by McCartney to destroy the tape, but EMI policy stated that no Beatles recording was ever to be deleted. The fourteen seconds of silence between "The End" and "Her Majesty" are the result of Kurlander’s lead out tape added to separate the song from the rest of the recording.

The loud chord that occurs at the beginning of the song is the ending, as recorded, of "Mean Mr. Mustard". "Her Majesty" ends abruptly because its own final note was left at the beginning of "Polythene Pam". Paul applauded Kurlander's "surprise effect" and the track became the unintended closer to the LP. The crudely-edited beginning and end of "Her Majesty" shows that it was not meant to be included in the final mix of the album; as McCartney says in The Beatles Anthology, "Typical Beatles - an accident." Consequently, both of the original sides of vinyl closed with a song that ended very abruptly (the other being I Want You (She's So Heavy)).

I think that take is off of the Alternate Abbey Road - or whatever it is called (Beatles bootleg).

The loud chord that occurs at the beginning of the song is the ending,as recorded, of "Mean Mr. Mustard". "Her Majesty" ends abruptly becauseits own final note was left at the beginning of "Polythene Pam".

Someone out there on the net must've put it between those two by now, right?