the next Beatles thread

I believe "All those years ago" by George had Paul and Ringo on it.

They are, but, it was a come in and add parts deal:

Harrison originally wrote the song with different lyrics for Ringo Starr to record. Although he recorded it, Starr felt the vocal was too high for his range and he did not like the words. Harrison took the track back and after Lennon's death the lyrics were changed to reflect a tribute to Harrison's lost friend and colleague, John Lennon. In the song, Harrison makes reference to The Beatles song "All You Need is Love" and the Lennon song "Imagine".

The recording of the song featured all three remaining Beatles (Harrison, Starr and Paul McCartney), though this was expressly a Harrison single. It is one of only a few non-Beatles songs to feature three members of the group. Harrison and Starr recorded the song at Harrison's Friar Park studios between 19 November 1980 and 25 November 1980. After Lennon's death the following month, Harrison removed Starr's vocals (but left Starr's drumming track) and recorded his own vocals with rewritten lyrics honouring Lennon. McCartney, his wife Linda and their Wings bandmate Denny Laine visited Friar Park to record backing vocals. The lineup was rounded out by Al Kooper on keyboards. The three surviving Beatles would not appear together on the same track for another thirteen years until The Beatles Anthology. The album's liner notes also thank the Beatles' producer George Martin and the Beatles' engineer Geoff Emerick, although what contribution (if any) they made to the track is unclear. The track's sweetly elegiac string arrangements do suggest Martin's own distinctive style.

I do know I have read that in the case of those Ringo solo album tracks, John and Paul sent him tapes. They did not come in and work with him in the studio. It could be that I am wrong about this. I can't recall what George contributed to Ringo's solo albums. It could be looked up, of course. I do recall that Ringo did play on All Things Must Pass.

Edited by Analogman
  • Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Some dude has all the re-masters up on Youtube. I am surprised they have not been taken down.

[Part 1] Remastered Beatles Albums (2009) [stereo]

[Part 2] Remastered Beatles Albums (2009) [stereo]

wow, can't believe someone actually took all that time to upload those. they'll be pulled in hours, if not sooner.

edit- in semi-related Beatles news, I came across the 3 lp set of All Things Must Pass at the flea market yesterday. the guy sold it to me for $15!!!

no, no poster :ohwell guess that's why it was so cheap. as for the remastered songs on YouTube, there's an Apple logo on the pic of the band which accompanies every song. wonder if they have a hand in this or if YouTube is scared to take it down in fear that it's legit.

no, no poster :ohwell guess that's why it was so cheap. as for the remastered songs on YouTube, there's an Apple logo on the pic of the band which accompanies every song. wonder if they have a hand in this or if YouTube is scared to take it down in fear that it's legit.

The poster is very scary anyhow.

My man Robert put the poster from All Things Must Pass up on one wall and the 8x10 glossy insert from one of Steve Martin's albums (this one) on the opposing wall. He said he wanted them to "have it out." One day he came home and Steve was on the floor. He was pretty excited to report that The Dark Horse had triumphed.

My man Robert put the poster from All Things Must Pass up on one wall and the 8x10 glossy insert from one of Steve Martin's albums (this one) on the opposing wall. He said he wanted them to "have it out." One day he came home and Steve was on the floor. He was pretty excited to report that The Dark Horse had triumphed.

Was that ever really in doubt?

I would think that photograph was take in one of the 120 rooms at Friar Park. I recall reading somewhere that Olivia sold the house in 2002.

I remember reading that it was Friar Park somewhere, maybe "I, Me, Mine".

Heck of a nice place this "Crackerbox Palace":

friarpark.jpg

I use to have that book when I was a kid. It disappeared at some point over the years. It got re-printed in 2002.

I got it for Christmas when it first came out, unfortunately it got pretty ripped up over the years but I still have it.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen any mention of this. Has it made it over the pond yet?

http://www.nowhereboy.co.uk/

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/825509-nowhere-boy-is-a-poignant-ballad-of-john-lennon-and-his-mum

Saw it recently without too many expectations and enjoyed it in a quietly nostalgic kind of way - both as a Beatles fan and someone who misses the simpler musical times of yore (though I don't go back quite that far).

Haven't seen any mention of this. Has it made it over the pond yet?

http://www.nowhereboy.co.uk/

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/825509-nowhere-boy-is-a-poignant-ballad-of-john-lennon-and-his-mum

Saw it recently without too many expectations and enjoyed it in a quietly nostalgic kind of way - both as a Beatles fan and someone who misses the simpler musical times of yore (though I don't go back quite that far).

I think it was in the other Beatles thread, or maybe some movie thread. It may be thinking of the discussion we had around here on the film Chapter 27.

Are you familiar with The Hours and Times (1991)?

I think it was in the other Beatles thread, or maybe some movie thread. It may be thinking of the discussion we had around here on the film Chapter 27.

Are you familiar with The Hours and Times (1991)?

Chapter 27 - No and not really interested in that event/era.

The Hours and Times - Am aware of it but have not seen it. Though I am interested in Lennon (one of the only a handful musicians whose biog I actually care to investigate) due to his diverse and contradictory character(s) and this is an intriguing incident, I'm not sure if I'm prepared to sit through an entirely fictionalised guess at what might have gone on i.e. whatever sort of themes and attitudes the film is exploring would best be done in a 'proper' work of fiction not playing on a 'Beatles connection'.

However, as I sort-of mentioned - Nowhere Boy is an much an invocation of the post-war early rock'n'roll age in the UK as being a 'Beatles film', and it was that angle that I actually enjoyed the most. The acting of the two women leads is pretty good too. For instance, I have never actually been to Liverpool, and I thought that I might like to see Auntie Mimi's house at one point, but after seeing a BBC doc about how the NAtional Trust renovated it, I realised that it would be just like visiting my late grandmothers house - so there was really no need :-) So, what I am trying to say is that there may be young or simply distant Beatles fans on teh board who might like to get a feel for the time/place in which Lennon grew up as much as anything about the actual events that may or may not have occurred as portrayed here.

Off topic - another music film I saw recently and really enjoyed was Oil City Confidential - The Dr. Feelgood Story. Worth it for the large contributions of glorious nut-case Wilko Johnson. Very very recommended

http://alternative.artsalliancemedia.com/oilcity/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/04/oil-city-confidential-review