the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

"This is a deeply personal journey for me, it's been excruciating," she said. "I've been archiving for five years -- 35 years, really. Throwing cassettes and letters in drawers, little things and pieces of paper that you find that say, 'Goats on my roof.' You think, What does that mean?"

the Goats on my roof bit was funny to me.

I bought a copy of the mono box set (used and cheap....thanks Lauries) for the heck of it and realized recently nearly all my older Beatles LPs (prior to Rubber Soul) are mono anyway.

Go figure.

LouieB

So now that the dust has settled on these, what is the overall opinion on the remasters? Yes they are louder, but I think I prefer thr original CD's that came out as far as overall sound quality.

Never thought the original CDs were very good. I far prefer the new remasters.

"This is a deeply personal journey for me, it's been excruciating," she said. "I've been archiving for five years -- 35 years, really. Throwing cassettes and letters in drawers, little things and pieces of paper that you find that say, 'Goats on my roof.' You think, What does that mean?"

the Goats on my roof bit was funny to me.

Funny - reminds me that when we were kids my brother and I used to sing the chorus to "All Those Years Ago" as "although she's a goat". Who'da thunk it - George may have approved.

Rain puts on a pretty good show. But guys, lose the whole "60s" concept. Flourishing every costume/era change with 'Nam, TV and hippie visuals (inc. the ubiquitous b/w footage of that long-haired blonde in dark pants and jacket twirling around like a fuckhead) only serves to unfairly equate the Beatles music with its contemporary timeframe, making it stale. Screw the 60s, the Beatles are bigger than that now.

Rain puts on a pretty good show. But guys, lose the whole "60s" concept. Flourishing every costume/era change with 'Nam, TV and hippie visuals (inc. the ubiquitous b/w footage of that long-haired blonde in dark pants and jacket twirling around like a fuckhead) only serves to unfairly equate the Beatles music with its contemporary timeframe, making it stale. Screw the 60s, the Beatles are bigger than that now.

I like this post.

So now that the dust has settled on these, what is the overall opinion on the remasters? Yes they are louder, but I think I prefer thr original CD's that came out as far as overall sound quality.

I had bought a few of the stereo remastered cds, and downloaded a flac version of the mono boxset, at the time. But, I've ended up buying the mono box set - now it's cheaper - and selling the stereo albums (apart from Let It Be, Abbey Road & Yellow Submarine - which I was sent by a mistake and kept! - the beatles gods were shining on me that day, cos i can't imagine any other way i'd have got the album). To me the stereo mixes just got me annoyed that they weren't mono - I'd be listening with clenched teeth! Also, the quality of the cd cases etc... was shit when compared to the mono box set. Just everything about the stereo cds made me want to bully them - flush their heads down the toilet - pinch them in the ribs - give them evils! Simply because they weren't the mono ones!

I just read an interview with Ringo where he said he prefers the Stereo mixes over the Mono mixes. Of course he is going by how his drums sound.

Ringo, is a twat - let's be honest. A lovable twat, but he's still a twat. Isn't there something about Ringo playing a lot of chess or some such thing during the making of Sgt Pepper - i think that sums up his knowledge of arrangement/production.

Well, he's wrong. Just tell him to ask joss ackland's spunky backpack. :monkey

peace and love!

Yes! Thank you! That whole 60's nostalgia fest get's tiresome. The music is beyond that. Save that for playing that crappy "flowers in your hair" song.

Save that for playing that crappy "flowers in your hair" song.

Oh right - and that song playing over the PA as the San Fran dropouts do their thing. And of course: Jimi's Watchtower backing shots of bombs dropping and our boys setting villages aflame. Can't believe they're taking this act to Broadway (especially the opening: a tape of an Ed Sullivan impersonator introducing them).

I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.

I actually like that song.

Sorry, I was a little abrupt there, my boss walked up as I was finishing so I had to just hurry up and type something. I can see that they are catering to a certain Baby boomer type segment of the population, I just wish they used a bit more imagination, just seems so unoriginal at this point. Obviously the Beatles were a product of the 60's and the soundtrack of a generation and all that but I know when I listen to them I'm not thinking about Vietnam, and flower power and translove airways. It's time to bring something new to the table for a generation that has heard a ton of Beatles and don't automatically connect it to those images. But I'm not going to lie, I have never liked that song.

Sweet Jesus I lack eloquence.

I had me a real good time, for the record. It's just that since the rise of The Fab Faux, my expectations have been altered, fair or not. Meticulous reproduction of the music is more appealing than a Beatlemania-type affair. And Rain says themselves that they consider the Beatles "the Mozarts of rock" so I guess I expected a little less of that (even though Rain sprang from Beatlemania). I guess Beatles tribute shows could be divided into two camps now, with Beatlejuice and The Fab Faux in one and Rain et al in the other. There's room for everyone.