the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the other thread better, it was in mono.

I just saw an ad on tv the other night about a Beatles tribute band playing a six night stand at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. Is there really a demand for this? If each of these shows sell out, they will have played for almost as many people as went to see Paul McCartney's "Green Conert" last month.

I just saw an ad on tv the other night about a Beatles tribute band playing a six night stand at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. Is there really a demand for this? If each of these shows sell out, they will have played for almost as many people as went to see Paul McCartney's "Green Conert" last month.

Rain?

They are coming here where I live next month. There have been several Beatle tribute bands over the years, and when I

was a kid, there was Beatlemania.

I haven't seen Rain, but if 1964: The Tribute come around, give some serious consideration to going. Those guys are an amazing facsimile of the real thing. They have so many of the mannerisms down, like George's little dance as he plays, and John's stance as he plays and sings. They even have a left-handed McCartney. From the balcony, they're pretty stunning (up close, you realize how little a couple of the guys look like the Beatles they portray, though the George looks eerily similar and the Ringo isn't too far off).

I saw Rain about a year ago. Good show.

Fake-Paul didn't bother to learn how to play bass left-handed though.

Fake-George's solo during Gently Weeps was too modern.

Overall a B+.

You mean they didn't trot out an Eric Clapton lookalike? Shameful.

I saw Beatlemania in 1978 at The Orpheum in SF. Marshall Crenshaw played the part of John Lennon. I distinctly remember between sets they were quietly playing The Cars 'Let The Good Times Roll' before the curtain came up for the second set.

That's right - I forgot he was in the cast at one point.

BeatleJuice is the go-to Beatles cover band around these parts. I got to see them when Brad Delp was in the band.

I'd like to see the

someday.

I would love to see those guys, just a monster group of musicians and they have such love for the music.

From the interview with Jeff posted in JAF:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Music/Blogs/index.html/objID888446/blogID/

AC: The stereo and mono mixes from the Beatles are quite different. Is that something you ever cared about?

JT: Well, no. I didn't have the resources [laughs] to seek out mono and stereo versions of the records. In general, I appreciate a lot of mono mixes of Sixties records now, like Phil Spector records, obviously. And like [Pink Floyd's] Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the mono versus the stereo on that. It's more something I go back to now, having spent some time in the recording studio and listening to the differences. There's something to be said for the immediacy of a really good mono mix squirting out of a little, cheap-ass speaker.

AC: Yeah, the mono mixes explode out of your speakers whereas the stereo mixes dissipate somehow.

JT: You can see inside the stereo mixes a little bit more. You can kind of walk into them. You know what I mean? There's a depth to them, which is really nice, and mind-expanding [laughs]. Stereo was probably pretty incredible at the time, as a novelty. But pop music in the mono format is basically mainlining rock music.

Also, Jossack, I'll be damned if Jeff isn't talking about you in that interview when he is talking about someone complaining about the sound quality of W(TA) when it leaked on mp3. I know that's not Beatles-related, but...

Also, Jossack, I'll be damned if Jeff isn't talking about you in that interview when he is talking about someone complaining about the sound quality of W(TA) when it leaked on mp3. I know that's not Beatles-related, but...

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/41711-jeff-interview-with-austin-chronicle/page__pid__1368988__st__0entry1368988

has anyone listened to the Stereo remastering of Please Please Me (album)?

i was listening on headphones and all the tracks had the seperation - most instruments on the left, most vocals on right, except two tracks. they sound like they're Mono.

anyone know if i'm dreaming or what?

weirdly, there is nothing on Wiki about it, but i noticed that Andy White played on the two songs that sound Mono - so maybe they were older recordings they couldn't make a Stereo master from?

i was listening on headphones and all the tracks had the seperation - most instruments on the left, most vocals on right, except two tracks. they sound like they're Mono.

weirdly, there is nothing on Wiki about it, but i noticed that Andy White played on the two songs that sound Mono - so maybe they were older recordings they couldn't make a Stereo master from?

Get this book:

51QC58GKFRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It will tell you all.

Andy White DID play on a couple of Beatle sessions in the early years, and it may have been "Please Please Me", but I can't remember offhand.

That book is ESSENTIAL reading for any Beatles geek, or music fan, in general.

that costs money.

if someone wants to give me one, i'm game. :thumbup

i found Emerick's book used and got that and it was interesting.

i just wondered about these two songs. i don't think i saw it mentioned in any big threads discussing the differences in the recordings

just listening to some of PPM and With back to back - PPM Stereo has a ton more reverb - some so strong you can't understand it.

There's something about why those two songs are in Mono in the liner notes. I don't remember exactly what it said or what the reasoning was.

that costs money.

if someone wants to give me one, i'm game. :thumbup

i found Emerick's book used and got that and it was interesting.

i just wondered about these two songs. i don't think i saw it mentioned in any big threads discussing the differences in the recordings

just listening to some of PPM and With back to back - PPM Stereo has a ton more reverb - some so strong you can't understand it.

Someone posted a PDF link to that one, and the one that came after it. It is in the previous Beatles thread.

Please Please Me

Love Me Do (version 2)

Andy White: drums, Ringo: Tambourine

basic recording- 11 Sep 1962

additional recording- 11 Sep 1962

master tape- twintrack 2d generation (no longer exists)

mono mixed: 11 Sep 1962

stereo mixed: mock stereo made from this version 25 Feb 1963. Digitally remixed in 2000 for "1".

This is a different recording from the original single, which featured Ringo on drums. The original single is available on the CD "Past masters Vol.1"

P.S. I Love You

basic recording- 11 Sep 1962

additional recording- none

master tape- twintrack 2d generation (no longer exists)

mono mixed: 4 Sep 1962

stereo mixed: mock stereo made from this version 25 Feb 1963